IGNORED

Paul Cook

BCFC1512

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A two if it's in conjunction with a 4 man backline could still see us exposed in a number of games, areas IMO.

Start getting used to 4231 Mr Pop!!

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

With half the wage bill we had ?

Not far off.

Based on 18/19’s accounted City’s costs (Football club, not inc AG Stadium) were £42m against income of £17m.  However we made £38m on transfer profit (Reid, Bryan, Flint, Magnússon...and Kelly).  Wage Bill £24m, Amortisation of Transfer fees £8m.  I like to add these together as the cost of the playing budget, so £32m.

Wigan had costs of £27m versus income of £11m, but made £7m transfer profit.  Wage Bill £19m, Amortisation of Transfer Fees £3m, so £22m.

£10m For a one place difference!!!

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not far off.

Based on 18/19’s accounted City’s costs (Football club, not inc AG Stadium) were £42m against income of £17m.  However we made £38m on transfer profit (Reid, Bryan, Flint, Magnússon...and Kelly).  Wage Bill £24m, Amortisation of Transfer fees £8m.  I like to add these together as the cost of the playing budget, so £32m.

Wigan had costs of £27m versus income of £11m, but made £7m transfer profit.  Wage Bill £19m, Amortisation of Transfer Fees £3m, so £22m.

I know I know- all depends who the third man is IMO.

On the flipside, 4-2-3-1 does seem quite conducive to triangles so yeah.

Having lived in Pompey for a few years, when he was manager there he was very unpopular. He was mainly criticised for slow sideways passing and never getting crosses into the box. Most fans wanted him gone but then Pompey went on a great run at the end of the season and they ended up winning the league in the last day. Pompey fans like all fans are a fickle lot and were disappointed he left for Wigan. At the time, I thought he didn't have a great relationship with the fans because of the boos and maybe it was that that persuaded him to leave. Or maybe money plus location was the motivation fair leaving? And/or he had ambition to get to the championship and wasn't willing to wait with Pompey who are the bigger club. 

I understand his style of football has changed a bit from those days with a willingness to be more direct. I think his style changes depending on opposition and the players he has at his disposal which is similar to LJ in some respects.

I won't be disappointed if he was our manager but I have a lot of doubts about him being the right man.

5 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Cook is a manager who gets the best out of his players. LJ didn’t. 

Imagine Cook getting a similar output of of our squad versus what he got out of Wigan. That’s probably top 2 material. 

Unsure about top 2- that top 4 this season did seem a bit of a cut above, and Leeds notably.

If you mean top 2 this coming season then perhaps- playoffs though absolutely.

4 hours ago, BCFC Grim said:

Does he provide good football then? Because Last year ( and I mean a massive part of the whole year, their fans stated their football was pretty shite. Their away record is pathetic too.

Dare I say people are getting excited over a period of half a season.

Yes. Not all the time but more often than us this season as a starting point!

5-6 away wins from start of January is a sudden massive swing.

When they were struggling, I often had them down as somewhat better than performances suggested, I'm cautiously optimistic if it is Cook. Think we'll see an upturn in the style and hopefully results with it.

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

That's the thing for me. If people are getting excited about form then for me Struber with a much worse squad at Barnsley is even more impressive. Not his squad at all. And also playing some great football and keeping them up.

Obviously there's the record there by Cook in lower leagues.

But then Robins promotion last season he overachieved ridiculously at Coventry and played some great football.

Not sure how Cook's budget compared with the rest of league two and league one when he won promotion.

Dunno if their squad is that bad, but it is deeply inexperienced- became more so when selling some key players after coming back up. They're a pretty dominant side at times though, certainly with midtable numbers.

Rather Cook or Struber than Robins though!

4 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Quick check of the stats and it looks as though 2019/20 Wigan were a pretty solid mid-table team held back by profligate strikers who failed to finish their dinner. One thing we do have going for our squad is clinical finishing. So if he can replicate even the unremarkable chance creation figures, then combine that with our more deadly strikers, we could see a decent return of goals. Might help us move up the table.

I'm not going to expect a soaring, swashbuckling football team that clinically deconstructs every defence put in front of it, but he might be the guy to craft our squad into a top 8 team who with a stroke of luck can bag a play-off spot.

Probably not what most are expecting but seems to be about where we are as a club IMO.

That's my thinking- their numbers were for certainly the first half of the season, at times in 2018/19 and often away from home for that season and a half better than their performances.

That's something promising.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Dunno if their squad is that bad, but it is deeply inexperienced- became more so when selling some key players after coming back up. They're a pretty dominant side at times though, certainly with midtable numbers.

Rather Cook or Struber than Robins though!

I disagree. 

Of course I would like Hughton or Jokanovic, but Robins is probably the first managerial candidate ever that Lansdown and myself have both liked (assuming that Lansdown's liking for him is correct, which I think it is).

That's why I like him. Because I think that he is the best compromise between the choices of the supporters and the club's 'fit'.

Wouldn't be unhappy with Cook though.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Maybe best to form your own opinion, watch some video from their matches.  If you still feel that way, then fine....but make your own judgement.

https://wiganathletic.com/videos/

They are a big side (saw your twitter post), but that’s not to say they don’t pass it either.  They play a nice tempo.

Do get that impression.

Watched highlights of their 8-0 vs an admittedly woeful Hull but the way they brought the ball out, beat the press and moved it swiftly through the thirds and the great finish- could've been the final goal- that was excellent.

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Hiring Chris Hughton would be a massive sign of intent .

Bringing in Paul Cook would be another type of sign . 

Absolutely smacks of the cheap option. 

People can try to sell it the best they can, but where as I agree there are far worse options....there was certainly a better one 

Would love to know the reasons as to why Hughton isn’t here. It’s all guess work...and if I had to guess....it will probably be something to do with him wanting to do things his way, rather then just be a puppet on a string 

If he comes best of luck to him and let’s hope he proves a lot of us wrong. Not holding my breath though 

5 hours ago, YGBjammy said:

Lots of Brum fans on twitter seem to think he would go there over us. I like to think I don't get carried away thinking we are a "big club" but seriously, what sort of manager would pick Birmingham over us at the moment? ?

At the moment we have to be seen as a more attractive proposition than Birmingham. Cook has seen the downside of an unstable club and to an extent must be out of the fire into the frying pan going to Brum 

Ok so say we do bring in Paul Cook over the next couple of days, we know he loves a 4-2-3-1 formation so with our current squad (and any reasonable additions if you like) what do you think our best 11 looks like?

Could he be the manager to get the best out of Palmer or even O'Dowda? I know he's know for his top man management. Eliasson and Fam could be deadly in this formation but unfortunately I'm guessing they will both be gone over the next couple of weeks but building the side around creating chances for Nakhi up top with the nice football Cook's teams tend to play is mouthwatering. For me we'd definitely need to bring in right winger, a right back and a left winger (if Eliasson does go).

Here is my attempt without Eliasson and Fam (scary O'Dowda and Watkins make it in but I quite like the rest of the side - Could alternate between Walsh and Morrell in that 2, playing Morrell for tougher games and Walsh in games we'd expect to dominate possession? Would love us to bring in a proper ball winner to play alongside them but would we be overloaded with options in there if we did so?

Bentley

Hunt    Kalas       Baker (Moore)      Dasilva

Walsh (Morrell)       Nagy (Massengo)

Watkins            Palmer (Walsh / Paterson)              O'Dowda

Wells

Like many others have said, Hughton would have been my number 1 choice, but OK with Paul Cook. Although at lower league level he does have 3 promotions on his managerial CV already and were it not for the 12 pts deduction would have taken Wigan to 1 place below us with a squad costing/earning I'd guess half as much!

52 minutes ago, WirralRobin said:

Ok so say we do bring in Paul Cook over the next couple of days, we know he loves a 4-2-3-1 formation so with our current squad (and any reasonable additions if you like) what do you think our best 11 looks like?

Could he be the manager to get the best out of Palmer or even O'Dowda? I know he's know for his top man management. Eliasson and Fam could be deadly in this formation but unfortunately I'm guessing they will both be gone over the next couple of weeks but building the side around creating chances for Nakhi up top with the nice football Cook's teams tend to play is mouthwatering. For me we'd definitely need to bring in right winger, a right back and a left winger (if Eliasson does go).

Here is my attempt without Eliasson and Fam (scary O'Dowda and Watkins make it in but I quite like the rest of the side - Could alternate between Walsh and Morrell in that 2, playing Morrell for tougher games and Walsh in games we'd expect to dominate possession? Would love us to bring in a proper ball winner to play alongside them but would we be overloaded with options in there if we did so?

Bentley

Hunt    Kalas       Baker (Moore)      Dasilva

Walsh (Morrell)       Nagy (Massengo)

Watkins            Palmer (Walsh / Paterson)              O'Dowda

Wells

Sorry but I believe that eleven would get plenty of hammerings.

Two attack minded full backs who are not so good defensively.

We need a three in central midfield. Nagy not strong enough. Walsh and Morrell plus a quality midfield general.

Front four. Watkins, O'Dowda just simply not good enough for top six finish. Paterson and Palmer so inconsistent.

Are we as good as some consider we could be? I think not.

9 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Sorry but I believe that eleven would get plenty of hammerings.

Two attack minded full backs who are not so good defensively.

We need a three in central midfield. Nagy not strong enough. Walsh and Morrell plus a quality midfield general.

Front four. Watkins, O'Dowda just simply not good enough for top six finish. Paterson and Palmer so inconsistent.

Are we as good as some consider we could be? I think not.

I think you need to leave any judgement you have of the players at the door. Wait until they’re managed properly. The. Judge them. I bet a few will surprise you. 

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Not far off.

There’s been a lot of waste as well imo. Eisa, adelukan, engval, .

Id like to see 4231 possibly with a 2 of Morrell,  Nagy (if he trains on) or new , with Walsh in front pulling the strings ?

7 hours ago, YGBjammy said:

Lots of Brum fans on twitter seem to think he would go there over us. I like to think I don't get carried away thinking we are a "big club" but seriously, what sort of manager would pick Birmingham over us at the moment? ?

One that wants to stay closer to his home in the north maybe? 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Hiring Chris Hughton would be a massive sign of intent .

Bringing in Paul Cook would be another type of sign . 

1 hour ago, Andy082005 said:

Absolutely smacks of the cheap option. 

People can try to sell it the best they can, but where as I agree there are far worse options....there was certainly a better one 

Would love to know the reasons as to why Hughton isn’t here. It’s all guess work...and if I had to guess....it will probably be something to do with him wanting to do things his way, rather then just be a puppet on a string 

If he comes best of luck to him and let’s hope he proves a lot of us wrong. Not holding my breath though 

Total bollocks.

as i said a million times. When it comes to appointing the most important position in a football club, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A CHEAP OPTION

Just because he isn’t a big name, means **** all. If we appointed Chris wilder a few years ago, you would both be moaning and look what’s he’s done at Sheffield United 

Big names rarely do well at city. So give me a so called underwhelming name every day of the week!

Archived