IGNORED

Paul Cook

BCFC1512

22 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

OZeITm0U_bigger.jpg

BREAKING: Wigan are expected to announce today that manager Paul Cook has resigned. As it stands, Paul Cook does not have another job lined up. - talkSPORT understands

So that's the latest.

Most managers don’t have another job lined up when they leave  - until they sign for another club the next day 

14 minutes ago, Clevedon Red said:

There’s a lot of love and respect for him on Twitter. 

Insane! I think I might be in love with you but I wouldn't put it on Twitter for all the world to see. 

Oh, hang on....

3 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

To me this sums it up. It's another communications issue...I can only speak for myself but my expectations of LJ's successor have been raised and if I'm honest I'm not sure that Paul Cook meets them. 

Paul Cook might be a great appointment. Might turn out to be fantastic. I wouldn't be unhappy with him at all. But after all the implication of extensive searches, the raised profile and potential of the club, pushing on for the Prem etc etc the appointment of a 'been there, done that' in the Championship and Premiership manager like Hughton sends a very different signal to hiring a successful League 1 and 2 boss. 

Completely with you there mate.  It could turn out to be a very shrewd signing, but many of us have said this next appointment would probably define SL’s ambitions.

For me, it doesn’t shout that we’re really going for it and is more of an easy does it and let’s not shake things up too much.

There is no way this is the statement of intent appointment that would be telling the world that Bristol City are finally ready to make that push to the Prem.  While Chris Hughton is no Lam, he would have still shown that ambition for me.  

Though Paul Cook still seems a very sound manager, if we have chosen him, it tells me we have chosen the steady Championship existance and constant churn-over of players, rather than the long awaited serious drive for the Premier League.

35 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Cook hasn't arrived yet or even been named but,,if he rocks up I see big problems...

Cook from what I can glean is a very straight forward,,to the point individual - pretty much a bullshit vacuum...

For a few beers personally my kind of bloke,,but he's the antithesis of Ashton & Co & they will quickly grow to bloody hate him...

Indeed - 'Red Alert.

It could be that we're underestimating Ashton.

Its worth noting this is his first appointment as CEO.

15 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

To me this sums it up. It's another communications issue...I can only speak for myself but my expectations of LJ's successor have been raised and if I'm honest I'm not sure that Paul Cook meets them. 

Paul Cook might be a great appointment. Might turn out to be fantastic. I wouldn't be unhappy with him at all. But after all the implication of extensive searches, the raised profile and potential of the club, pushing on for the Prem etc etc the appointment of a 'been there, done that' in the Championship and Premiership manager like Hughton sends a very different signal to hiring a successful League 1 and 2 boss. 

Like I have said before, I am worried whether CH will still have that fire needed to repeat his success. Cook on the other hand has had promotions which is a big tick, but hasn't been promoted from this league, that means he should have that ambition to go with his knowledge. I am sure all those who had convinced themselves we "would go for the cheap option" are wringing their hands right now waiting to get the knives out, but I think that will disappear quickly once the season gets under way.

7 minutes ago, Fuber said:

It could be that we're underestimating Ashton.

Its worth noting this is his first appointment as CEO.

I hope underestimating Ashton is true but I have this annoying gut feeling that it’s more about finding someone who won’t step on his toes with regard to responsibilities

38 minutes ago, Bainsey said:

Paul Cook just doesn't strike me as the right fit for City. His personality seems a much better fit for Birmingham.

Why?

What sort of personality do you think fits City?

Some might say LJ did - getting on with the board to present a united front, media friendly, and good PR for the club when things were going well etc. - the big drawback, apart from a lack of previous success making him an extremely dubious appointment in the first place, being on pitch performances which went from inconsistent to abysmal at AG.

Cotterill, imo., was a great fit for City in every respect except apparently clashing with the board in his impatience to keep moving City on.

Cook's CV shows him to be a successful individual - a winner, if you like - also known to be a great man manager who gets the best out of his players, and by all accounts gets his teams playing good football.

He comes over as honest and passionate and a players' man - in the mould of Cooper, Jordan, and Cotterill - so we can expect a good spirit in the squad. His passionate personality should make him a good fit for the fans, and if the board appoints him presumably they think they can work well with him.

Seems a good fit for BCFC to me.

What is it about Cook that concerns you?

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Like I have said before, I am worried whether CH will still have that fire needed to repeat his success. Cook on the other hand has had promotions which is a big tick, but hasn't been promoted from this league, that means he should have that ambition to go with his knowledge. I am sure all those who had convinced themselves we "would go for the cheap option" are wringing their hands right now waiting to get the knives out, but I think that will disappear quickly once the season gets under way.

Where you see hoards of OTIB members just itching to stick a knife in to the powers that be I see anxious City supporters who don't trust the folk making the decisions. Much as I respect aspects of his stewardship of the club City supporters are now very used to the promise of 'jam tomorrow' from Steve Lansdown. He's been making it for a decade or more. It wears thin after a while!

As far as I can see, all we know is that Paul Cook has been interviewed along with Chris Hughton and up to six others. By resigning from Wigan that simply puts him on a level playing field with Hughton. To be honest, given his achievements with Wigan this season I would have been amazed if he hadn’t been interviewed but that does not mean he is going to get the job. Given the state of Wigan he would most likely have resigned whether we are interested or not,.

Calm down people.

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

Total bollocks.

as i said a million times. When it comes to appointing the most important position in a football club, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A CHEAP OPTION

Just because he isn’t a big name, means **** all. If we appointed Chris wilder a few years ago, you would both be moaning and look what’s he’s done at Sheffield United 

Big names rarely do well at city. So give me a so called underwhelming name every day of the week!

I didn’t mention costs, just a sign of intent.

I happen to think that Paul Cook is a decent coach and if he comes to City then I would welcome him however , if we bring in Hughton then there is no hiding place, promotion is the goal and we are assuming that aim. 

That is a statement which would instantly put us on short odds for a top six place and galvanise the club for the push . 

You say big names rarely do well at City ? 

Which big names have we had ?

Terry Cooper, got us promoted and won some silverware.

Joe Jordan got us promoted and nearly to a domestic cup final .

Danny Wilson , played some great football and lead us to Wembley

Steve Coppell , was a bad experience but then we aren’t the same club today as we were back then.

All of which is history . We need to look forward and whomever takes over from LJ will have a good chance of getting us up . If it is PC then we will fly under the radar. If it is Hughton then we will be followed by the media circus which could go two ways ! 

27 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

If it is him I think it is a really surprising appointment.

There seemed to be 3 routes available, the Hughton, McCarthy experienced types who have demonstrable track records at our level.

The promising lower league manager like Lowe who has won back to back promotions at a lower level but is completely untested in the Championship.

Or the “name” appointment like Terry or to some extent, Gerrard.

Instead we have apparently gone for someone with a pretty modest record at Championship level and who appears the opposite of the corporate type expected, far more like Cotts than LJ.

I of course wish him well & think he could do better than LJ, but I am left a little baffled here because it suggests to me there never was a “type”, or a strategy in place.

15 minutes ago, Gazred said:

We've all the ingredients for success. What better man than Cook to produce a promotion pie.*

*other food types are available**

**does not include relegation sandwiches 

My wife bought a new mixer to make cakes with a few weeks ago. She has made 3 so far and we were thinking  that they could only get better. Alas they are getting worse. I do not think there will be a cake to celebrate in our house for a few years unless we find a better cook. 

2 minutes ago, City oz said:

My wife bought a new mixer to make cakes with a few weeks ago. She has made 3 so far and we were thinking  that they could only get better. Alas they are getting worse. I do not think there will be a cake to celebrate in our house for a few years unless we find a better cook. 

A poor workman blames his tools.

Was she any good pre-mixer?

Same mixer, same ingredients, different cook, different results...hopefully better!

Just now, Gazred said:

A poor workman blames his tools.

Was she any good pre-mixer?

Same mixer, same ingredients, different cook, different results...hopefully better!

Never been any good. Still looking for a new updated model that can perform to my expectations and maintain top level performance at all times.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

There seemed to be 3 routes available, the Hughton, McCarthy experienced types who have demonstrable track records at our level.

The promising lower league manager like Lowe who has won back to back promotions at a lower level but is completely untested in the Championship.

Instead we have apparently gone for someone with a pretty modest record at Championship level and who appears the opposite of the corporate type expected, far more like Cotts than LJ.

I of course wish him well & think he could do better than LJ, but I am left a little baffled here because it suggests to me there never was a “type”, or a strategy in place.

As far as I'm aware we've not hired anyone yet and Cook has apparently had an interview, like Hughton. Although the timing of his resignation and the interview does indicate a connection.

Even so, if it were just between the two, I'd be surprised (and a little disappointed) if it was Cook over Hughton.

But it may well be a name we've not yet heard - who knows ?

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Agreed. I'm baffled too. 

41 minutes ago, City oz said:

Well its public knowledge now he has left Wigan. Why would we take him on ?? It’s a bit like playing cards when one card is missing and as a stop gap you use the joker card and write down on it the original card that is missing. As you feel secure That its only a temporary measure as you plan to buy a new pack in the next few days. However sometimes you forget as time goes by and you are still left with a pack of cards that isn’t quite the pack to proceed further. 

Another comparison is purchasing a new car. One car is double the price of the other to purchase new. You end up buying the cheaper option hoping to invest your savings else where like a “director of football “ expense fund where you have been advised by others that you will make money over many years.

then all of a sudden your new car breaks down and your neighbor that purchased the more expensive option is suddenly leaps and bounds ahead of you.

Thanks Eric Cantona! :whistle2:

14 minutes ago, Robbie C said:

As far as I can see, all we know is that Paul Cook has been interviewed along with Chris Hughton and up to six others. By resigning from Wigan that simply puts him on a level playing field with Hughton. To be honest, given his achievements with Wigan this season I would have been amazed if he hadn’t been interviewed but that does not mean he is going to get the job. Given the state of Wigan he would most likely have resigned whether we are interested or not,.

Calm down people.

I’m somewhat surprised that he is resigning. I believe it is Friday that Wigan’s case is going to be heard with regard to the points deduction.

Does he have some inside knowledge ? Does he know that their appeal is going to be thrown out ?

Is it not still possible for the points to be reinstated; and Wigan survive in place of Barnsley ? Surely he would regret quitting were this to happen ?

All. very strange.

He must have something lined up ?

17 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I didn’t mention costs, just a sign of intent.

I happen to think that Paul Cook is a decent coach and if he comes to City then I would welcome him however , if we bring in Hughton then there is no hiding place, promotion is the goal and we are assuming that aim. 

That is a statement which would instantly put us on short odds for a top six place and galvanise the club for the push . 

You say big names rarely do well at City ? 

Which big names have we had ?

Terry Cooper, got us promoted and won some silverware.

Joe Jordan got us promoted and nearly to a domestic cup final .

Danny Wilson , played some great football and lead us to Wembley

Steve Coppell , was a bad experience but then we aren’t the same club today as we were back then.

All of which is history . We need to look forward and whomever takes over from LJ will have a good chance of getting us up . If it is PC then we will fly under the radar. If it is Hughton then we will be followed by the media circus which could go two ways ! 

Sorry to have to be pedantic, but Danny Wilson didn't lead us to Wembley.  Oh, and also he failed to get us promotion in four successive seasons with the best squad since we were in Division One.

Archived