IGNORED

Paul Cook

BCFC1512

6 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Not sure if already mentioned, but BBC reporting Karanka to Birmingham almost done. Surely increases the likelihood of Cook coming here.

According to others on here Robbie Fowler was going to Birmingham. Robbie though has been reported to have been signed by a championship club. I flagged Robbie as a possibility to be at BS3 a few weeks back but had so many aubergines I started to like them.

1 minute ago, City oz said:

According to others on here Robbie Fowler was going to Birmingham. Robbie though has been reported to have been signed by a championship club. I flagged Robbie as a possibility to be at BS3 a few weeks back but had so many aubergines I started to like them.

If Robbie Fowler is the new boss here. I will suck my own c@ck and balls. Again.

17 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Why?

What sort of personality do you think fits City?

Some might say LJ did - getting on with the board to present a united front, media friendly, and good PR for the club when things were going well etc. - the big drawback, apart from a lack of previous success making him an extremely dubious appointment in the first place, being on pitch performances which went from inconsistent to abysmal at AG.

Cotterill, imo., was a great fit for City in every respect except apparently clashing with the board in his impatience to keep moving City on.

Cook's CV shows him to be a successful individual - a winner, if you like - also known to be a great man manager who gets the best out of his players, and by all accounts gets his teams playing good football.

He comes over as honest and passionate and a players' man - in the mould of Cooper, Jordan, and Cotterill - so we can expect a good spirit in the squad. His passionate personality should make him a good fit for the fans, and if the board appoints him presumably they think they can work well with him.

Seems a good fit for BCFC to me.

What is it about Cook that concerns you?

Because in my opinion a candidate with proven experience of promotion from the Championship is preferable to a candidate who hasn't. If we are serious about getting promoted to the Premier League then I believe this appointment should be reflected in that. Paul Cook to me doesn't scream that we have serious intent. If Hughton isn't happening then my next choice would be Alex Neil. 

13 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Not sure if already mentioned, but BBC reporting Karanka to Birmingham almost done. Surely increases the likelihood of Cook coming here.

And in other news this morning Gav Margaret Thatcher has just been elected the UKs first female prime minister.

2 minutes ago, City oz said:

Yeah I've said that I still think Fowler's in the frame. His lack of coaching experience is a major worry, but he could be everything the board want in terms of profile, Kloppball philosophy and least likely to rock the boat...

12 hours ago, LoyalRed said:

Eh? 

You stated ‘fact’, not an opinion.

You said, and I quote, that Lansdown said in an interview that he was looking for a manager that ‘had experience in promotion from this league’. 

I’m asking for a link to that interview as I must have missed it?

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think that's not unrealistic. We sacked LJ for not making playoffs, it stands to reason the new manager should have similar expectations. 

So would you think we’re going to be sacking most managers not making playoffs now? 

13 minutes ago, supercidered said:

If Robbie Fowler is the new boss here. I will suck my own c@ck and balls. Again.

9 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think there's a stream on Hesgagged...

Is that possible ? I bet you couldn’t do it with a beer belly 

3 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

I would imagine if we haven't made them in the next two seasons then whoever is in charge will be out the door

But why waste 2 season on potentially mediocre managers rather than splash the cash on proven one?

42 minutes ago, lou2BS7 said:

I hope underestimating Ashton is true but I have this annoying gut feeling that it’s more about finding someone who won’t step on his toes with regard to responsibilities

This is an interesting point. One would hope the man is far more professional than self preservation.

2 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

Cook more likely for Birmingham, according to the Post( yes, I know), and Hughton possibly in frame for Watford. If this goes pear shaped, whose our 3rd choice?

Very pooor analysis... Unless you are aware CH and PC are choices 1 and 2. I very much doubt that or a CH deal would have been wrapped up days or even weeks ago.

5 minutes ago, Sturny said:

So would you think we’re going to be sacking most managers not making playoffs now? 

If we're going to be consistent then yes but then again we don't know the board's expectations.

It wouldn't be as black and white as that obviously - for example we might give Cook a season or two to reach the playoffs.. or take into account other factors like an injury crisis that made us fall away. But ultimately I don't think our expectations of any new manager will be much lower than they were for LJ. Why would they be?

9 minutes ago, Sturny said:

No, Johnson had 4 years and 8 windows to get us there and we went backwards this year. Would expect the brief for cook to be to outperform relative wages next season and then play offs minimum the season after

6 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

This is an interesting point. One would hope the man is far more professional than self preservation.

Very pooor analysis... Unless you are aware CH and PC are choices 1 and 2. I very much doubt that or a CH deal would have been wrapped up days or even weeks ago.

It’s not analysis of any sort, but a question. Remove these two names, and whose the favourite?

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

If we're going to be consistent then yes but then again we don't know the board's expectations.

It wouldn't be as black and white as that obviously - for example we might give Cook a season or two to reach the playoffs.. or take into account other factors like an injury crisis that made us fall away. But ultimately I don't think our expectations of any new manager will be much lower than they were for LJ. Why would they be?

I think the expectations are clear, I don’t see why they should lower it then after LJ. How harsh would that be! 

I don’t have a problem with Paul Cook, I welcome it. But if the board want immediate success (I consider getting top 6 next season that) then why not pay for it? You gotta admit whilst Paul Cook has a respectable career so far he’s not exactly a “flashy” appointment some would say 

43 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I didn’t mention costs, just a sign of intent.

I happen to think that Paul Cook is a decent coach and if he comes to City then I would welcome him however , if we bring in Hughton then there is no hiding place, promotion is the goal and we are assuming that aim. 

That is a statement which would instantly put us on short odds for a top six place and galvanise the club for the push . 

You say big names rarely do well at City ? 

Which big names have we had ?

Terry Cooper, got us promoted and won some silverware.

Joe Jordan got us promoted and nearly to a domestic cup final .

Danny Wilson , played some great football and lead us to Wembley

Steve Coppell , was a bad experience but then we aren’t the same club today as we were back then.

All of which is history . We need to look forward and whomever takes over from LJ will have a good chance of getting us up . If it is PC then we will fly under the radar. If it is Hughton then we will be followed by the media circus which could go two ways ! 

Danny Wilson - Failure

Steve Coppell - Failure.

Its not just managers, players too.

Marcus Stewart, Michael Bridges, David James.

We are a club were talented people come to prove themselves.

players or managers like Scott Murray, Albert Adomah, Alan Dicks, Shaun Goater, Gary Johnson, Brian Tinnion, Andy Cole etc etc

Big names rarely work out for us.

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

Big names rarely work out for us.

We've barely had enough to know of that's true or not when it comes to managers and the few we've had have been at terrible times, not with an infrastructure like we have now. 

We have a lot of talent in our squad, we also have some dead weight but we're definitely an established Championship team right now with a lot of potential. 

Hughton is a must right now, not only would it be a huge boost for the fans I think it'd be a massive boost for the players as he'll be able to demand respect, he'll be able to say he knows what he's taking about and he's definitely got the experience. We need a real leader, as much as LJ may have been a nice bloke any player could look at him and think "he's never achieved what we're aiming for" and as bad as it sounds Lee hardly had the imposing stature to bump heads and demand respect either. 

I think Hughton wouldn't take any crap from his players, he's a good man motivator, a solid tactician and he's very motivated. 

There is no point in looking at the past and saying "hasn't worked for us", we need to look to the future and say "what's best for us?" and it would seem overwhelmingly Hughton seems to be what's right for the fans. 

Archived