IGNORED

Paul Cook

BCFC1512

Really surprised by negativity surrounding his potential appointment. He’s a good candidate with promotions on his CV, {apparently} plays decent football and has an eye for a player.

Club have made a rod for their own back in talking up Premier League ASAP, Gerrard/Hughton talk has clearly left people fixated on a name. But if the club are happy with their model, however much you may not like it, better to appoint someone who fits than court friction.

Cook would be a 7/10 appointment for me. Some I’d prefer, others I wouldnt mind below him, plenty of others I’d prefer much less.

5 minutes ago, supercidered said:

Just wish I knew what 'the project' actually is / means!!

It’s about mark Ashton signing players with no specific style of play in mind and appointing managers who will work within this as they are desperate  to manage a club with 20k attendances in the championship.

8 minutes ago, Coppello said:

Why? His record since the early 2000s is a little odd and mainly in international management in Asian countries:

1997–1999 China
2000 Shanghai Pudong
2001 Sichuan Quanxing
2002–2003 Zhejiang Greentown
2005 Uzbekistan
2005–2006 Changsha Ginde
2006–2011 India

Surely we can do a bit better than Bob Houghton?

Steph Houghton

1 minute ago, milo1111 said:

It’s about mark Ashton signing players with no specific style of play in mind and appointing managers who will work within this as they are desperate  to manage a club with 20k attendances in the championship.

Oh right. That's ok then.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think that's not unrealistic. We sacked LJ for not making playoffs, it stands to reason the new manager should have similar expectations. 

How about the football being entertaining and finishing 14th with a younger fresher side gaining experience in the process 

That's better in my eyes than 12th with mediocre football played by overpaid players who don't seem 100% interested.

1 hour ago, lou2BS7 said:

I hope underestimating Ashton is true but I have this annoying gut feeling that it’s more about finding someone who won’t step on his toes with regard to responsibilities

You honestly think he is more concerned with that than appointing a manager who will give him the chance of being CEO of a premier league club, with the kudos, financial rewards and opportunities this would give him?

29 minutes ago, pillred said:

Can you imagine if somehow this was overruled, can't imagine that all the other clubs that have lost out for the same thing being very happy could get very messy. You're right it would open a very large can of worms if it is overturned.

Well, that's easily solved. We'll send them out on loan.

33 minutes ago, citywest30 said:

I'm not sure Afobe was on any lists in the speculation. He was evidence that City are really good at doing deals without people finding out. Could this be  what we are doing now? Loads of talk of Gerrard, Hughton, Cook and we end up with a manager that nobody has talked about.

I'm still waiting for the 36 year old French, Belgian, German, Dutch, Danish (delete as appropriate) surprise name to come out of the pack and be appointed

I'm amazed we haven't seen too many foreign names linked. That would seem a very MA appointment to me

34 minutes ago, citywest30 said:

I'm not sure Afobe was on any lists in the speculation. He was evidence that City are really good at doing deals without people finding out. Could this be  what we are doing now? Loads of talk of Gerrard, Hughton, Cook and we end up with a manager that nobody has talked about.

David Brent! :shocking:

9 minutes ago, S_C said:

Really surprised by negativity surrounding his potential appointment. He’s a good candidate with promotions on his CV, {apparently} plays decent football and has an eye for a player.

Club have made a rod for their own back in talking up Premier League ASAP, Gerrard/Hughton talk has clearly left people fixated on a name. But if the club are happy with their model, however much you may not like it, better to appoint someone who fits than court friction.

Cook would be a 7/10 appointment for me. Some I’d prefer, others I wouldnt mind below him, plenty of others I’d prefer much less.

.... and therein lies the problem. This is the acid test.

The fundamental question being are the Club happy with the Strategy?

Don't think they should be. After 4.5 years we have a team with no identity, shape, formation, partnerships and no ******* midfield. We are also entering into unchartered territory post Virus where football economics is totally up in the air. 

At this juncture their should be a major Strategy review and existing failings addressed, likely failings planned for.

My greatest fear is that we ‘go again’ with an unaltered Strategy and a new ‘puppet’ manager in place.

Hughton would have at least indicated that the Strategy had been adapted. A Cook, Robins-like appointment is the same old, just dressed up differently.

25 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Not necessarily. Wilder, Dyche, Howe and countess other managers without experience have been promoted.

Karanka, Pearson, Coppell and countless other managers have failed to repeat promotion to the premier league at respective clubs.

I'm not convinced a managers' previous experience of getting promoted is a particularly effective predictor of who will get promoted in the future. 

As SL's company tells it's clients, " past performance is no guarantee of future results"!

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I make it 7 out of the last 20. 

Yes, but managers don't just get teams into the premier league and then immediately join a championship club again. If they did, it would be interesting to see if there were a core group of managers that seemed to keep on achieving it. As it stands, I'm not sure how informative this particular statistic is. 

Most of us cannot comprehend the astronomic salaries of players (myself included); so we get told how much they earn a week as if somehow that makes it easier and keeps them in touch with 'the working man' because he gets paid a wage.

LJ was earning between £4 to 600,000 as his salary, so i can't feel too sorry for him as he will still be being paid for his unexpired contract 

Because he has tasted premiership money Hughton will expect his salary to be in millions, while Cook will have been paid far less. Probably less than half.

Much as we might want Hughton and he may be the best man for the job, we will still consider having a "shop in Primark" 

Annual losses around £10M over the last few years and you can save 5% by appointing Cook and not Hughton. 

Fair enough you say. But the premier league money would deliver a 100+M windfall through TV money.

Go on SL get the best you can because you are worth it

52 minutes ago, Calculus said:

You are, of course, completely correct but then these are strange times - can't see a big dash for extra STs whoever we get because of Covid.

True

15 minutes ago, The Bard said:

How about the football being entertaining and finishing 14th with a younger fresher side gaining experience in the process 

That's better in my eyes than 12th with mediocre football played by overpaid players who don't seem 100% interested.

I think if it's a choice of 14th or 12th then yep. Most fans would prefer ugly football but playoffs to mid table though. 

13 minutes ago, 'Orns said:

I'm still waiting for the 36 year old French, Belgian, German, Dutch, Danish (delete as appropriate) surprise name to come out of the pack and be appointed

I'm amazed we haven't seen too many foreign names linked. That would seem a very MA appointment to me

Agreed - I'd quite like to see that. I liked the idea of Arne Slot for that reason.

43 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Look at the managers who have got promoted from this league. How many have done it before ? Less than half I reckon 

The fact that any of them has, increases the chances. 
If they’ve been successful more than once, then the chances increases exponentially.

I don't think salary/compo is a huge consideration judging by the links to Hughton and Gerrard. Assuming the Gerrard link is accurate - we may have made to make him the highest paid manager in the league with significant bonuses to bring him in. Could've all been paper talk but either way he wouldn't have come cheaply. I think the ultimate consideration is how good a 'fit' they are.

13 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What was Newcastle's wage bill, turnover, losses etc set against the League in 2009/10? Maybe I'll look it up tomorrow, he had one of the biggest budgets as you'd expect, the biggest and no mistake. Parachute Payments as well.

Not to say his work wasn't impressive.

Expenditure over years at Brighton, wage bill? Granted this would've been more against the odds! 

I looked purely at what he spent in transfer fees in both 2009/10 and 2016/17, and in both cases Hughton spent wisely and utilised the loan market - two of many attributes that are required here. I'm not willing to go down a rabbit hole with Hughton as it seems clear the board is not interested in a proven candidate. Undoubtedly, the wage bills, turnover, losses etc would be high. I just dispute the claim that he spent large sums to get Newcastle and Brighton in the PL.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Hughton would cost £1.2 million pa.  From what I know about managers salaries, I would suspect that LJ was on around £500k.

What we know less about, of course is bonuses.

Chris Hughton remains my choice due to his record and character.  He is the sort of manager who has a good chance of getting promotion and the rewards would be many times greater than his wages.

5 minutes ago, where's the joy said:

LJ was earning between £4 to 600,000 as his salary, so i can't feel too sorry for him as he will still be being paid for his unexpired contract.

No wonder he was given so many chances if we were only paying him £4 a week!

24 minutes ago, downendcity said:

You honestly think he is more concerned with that than appointing a manager who will give him the chance of being CEO of a premier league club, with the kudos, financial rewards and opportunities this would give him?

If somebody came to interview at your place and wanted some of your responsibilities, how would you take it? this is taking into account football is a game of egos on and off the pitch. 

By no stretch of the imagination am i saying it’s the case... it’s merely an idea as to why big names and traditional managers haven’t been selected

LJ's latest contract was worth around £600,000 a year. 

I look at it slightly differently. We will have a budget every season, out of which comes transfer fees and salaries. We could afford to pay a proven manager a seven-figure salary by offloading players and the manager should be among the highest earners on payroll.

If Hughton wanted £1.2m a year - £25,000 a week - that's still lower than the average highest wage (around £29,000 a week) at this level. I'd guess Gerrard is on considerably more than that at Rangers. 

When talking about the affordability of a coach it’s not about the salary it’s more about the playing budget/transfer war chest that is more a sticking point.  Most proven managers want the best chance of suceeding so only take jobs with a relatively high wage bill (e.g Steve Bruce, hughton, ‘arry). They don’t want to risk a failure on their CV so it’s self perpetuating!

someone up and coming like cook who always outperforms his wage bill is someone that I want-our model isn’t to break FFP and take a gamble, we have an accountant in charge not a poker player like Brighton..

I think it'll be a very good appointment. It'll be refreshing to hear less corporate/textbook speak - and that's not a dig at our last head coach.

Also, I think a huge side effect of this appointment will be the empowerment of bald or balding men. This shouldn't be understated.

Its understandable why clubs want to cut costs at the moment with gate receipts uncertain and possible other problems in the pipeline like second waves etc.

The thing I don't get is why we were supposedly going after Gerrard as first choice who I am sure would require a big wage and transfer market backing, if its true that we now want Cook then its not consistent at all.

Archived