IGNORED

Paul Cook

BCFC1512

Which is a "cheaper" option:

• Appoint a cheaper manager and let him spend on players, who then may have a lower chance of getting you anywhere
  • Appoint a more expensive manager and let him spend on players who then may have a higher chance of getting you anywhere

Obviously it's not quite that simple and that's assuming salary = success. I'd say the first is actually more expensive in the long run to the club. The managers wages are ultimately dwarfed by player transfers and wages, and the amount you get from a season in the premier league makes the 500k difference on the manager negligible. However the real danger I suppose is spending big on a manager, letting him spend big on players, and you STILL don't get anywhere!

Personally I'd be surprised if the club were really getting that hung up on the salary difference between a Cook and a Hughton, as long as one wasn't completely crazy.

4 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

Its understandable why clubs want to cut costs at the moment with gate receipts uncertain and possible other problems in the pipeline like second waves etc.

The thing I don't get is why we were supposedly going after Gerrard as first choice who I am sure would require a big wage and transfer market backing, if its true that we now want Cook then its not consistent at all.

Not to mention compensation due to Rangers . 

6 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Can't get into that. 

Is it full 90 minute games on there as highlights won't really show 99% of how his team plays.

Yes, but even so, worth watching highlights.  As you said you can’t remember the game at AG. It’ll give you a better insight.  You might still not like it, that’s cool.

I just don’t see the point on being biased one way or the other without a decent reason. ??‍♂️

5 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Nagy doesn't seem like a Cook kind of midfielder to me. Physically weak and no aggression.

Be interesting to see what he thinks of Palmer. Does he work hard enough for a Paul Cook side?

His Wigan side always looked very hard working to me. Kasey certainly not as good as Paterson or Szmodics off the ball.

It's annoying that we may be getting him in with Eliasson possibly leaving. 

I was thinking don't bother with wingers. Go 352 or even diamond. No wingers just attacking full backs or wing backs and strikers that drift out wide.

But looks like we might need one or two wingers now if Cook is our man! I think he might get O'Dowda playing better. Watkins actually played well I thought the times he played this season.

Pato can play wide left. I hope he doesn't go with Weimann on the wing!

Maybe J Smith may be a surprise part of our squad this season.

1. I agree re Nagy, doesn’t strike me as the Cook type

2. For Palmer, maybe compare to Nick Powell, a mercurial talent, reckoned to be a bit lazy.  Got him on a free, and turned him around.

3. Could see Sam Szmodics on the right of that “3”.

4. Don’t be fooled by 4231 meaning two wingers.  He doesn’t play out and out wingers like Eliasson, but hardworking “wide players”.  Lowe is an athletic “forward” who can play predominantly in either wide position, but can also play centrally.  Naismith is an elegant wide player, drifts in off the line.  Reminds me of a Darren Anderton-type.  I could see him liking Watkins as a role player.

3 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

I'd actually be quite happy with Cook. 

Unlike @Badger08above, I actually prefer that sort of straight talking character to one that talks shit most of the time. 

Advantage that he's just been managing in the division, knows how sides play & will have targets in mind already. 

He may be able to tempt some of his Wigan squad to come with him, certainly a few there that would improve our squad. 

This may sound stupid, but I just don't see the club hiring a manager anything like him, I think they'd be after more of a suit and tie manager as opposed to a tracksuit one. 

Me too, you won’t get “box entries” or “clutch” with Paul Cook.

I said similar in an earlier post, he knows the division, he’ll have prepared for playing City twice, he’ll know their strengths and weaknesses.

3 hours ago, maxjak said:

Yep......that young internationally renowned, forward thinking coach that we have all been praying would be recruited,  after hundreds of applications from across Europe.  Paul ***** Cook. ?

Funny, but he’s been in my top 3 of realistic managers for 2+ years, and I liked him before that.  I don’t care whether we’ve had 3m applicants, he would find his way towards the top of any pile of realistic applicants.  I haven’t been praying, but if he gets it I will be saying “praise the lord”.

3 hours ago, QuedgeRed said:

So who thinks Cook is a serious upgrade from Johnson???

??‍♂️?

Me....massively.

3 hours ago, supercidered said:

Some good points on this post.

However, we were w@nk in both games. So it was more of a case of Mr Multiformations not having a Danny La Rue versus someone who keeps to the basics.

Yeh, a tiny sample size, and I've not checked out how Wigan generally performed against the rest of the division. Someone else pointed out that most teams dominated us as well, but it's an interesting tidbit.

47 minutes ago, where's the joy said:

Most of us cannot comprehend the astronomic salaries of players (myself included); so we get told how much they earn a week as if somehow that makes it easier and keeps them in touch with 'the working man' because he gets paid a wage.

LJ was earning between £4 to 600,000 as his salary, so i can't feel too sorry for him as he will still be being paid for his unexpired contract 

Because he has tasted premiership money Hughton will expect his salary to be in millions, while Cook will have been paid far less. Probably less than half.

Much as we might want Hughton and he may be the best man for the job, we will still consider having a "shop in Primark" 

Annual losses around £10M over the last few years and you can save 5% by appointing Cook and not Hughton. 

Fair enough you say. But the premier league money would deliver a 100+M windfall through TV money.

Go on SL get the best you can because you are worth it

I must admit that my own salary falls within that range..... !!!!

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

Danny Wilson - Failure

Steve Coppell - Failure.

Its not just managers, players too.

Marcus Stewart, Michael Bridges, David James.

We are a club were talented people come to prove themselves.

players or managers like Scott Murray, Albert Adomah, Alan Dicks, Shaun Goater, Gary Johnson, Brian Tinnion, Andy Cole etc etc

Big names rarely work out for us.

This is one of the reasons why we don’t advance , people like you clinging onto past mistakes like badges of honour.

We are not the same club that we were even five years ago. 

SL has said he wanted top six this year . LJ failed . LJ showed the door .

I don’t doubt that SL will approve the best candidate in the club’s opinion to achieve the goal.

My comment was that Hughton being appointed would throw down the gauntlet to the players, the Championship and  install us at short odds to make the top six .

Cook, is a very good coach , who could very well get us promoted but doesn’t have the same ‘ media ‘ impact as CH. 

17 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Their salary will not be a consideration. More what budget they are willing to work with.

I would suggest that it's working with what Mark Ashton throws his way (and takes away) that would be a bigger sticking point than salary.

The Bristol City Head Coach doesn't have full control over players in/out or budget (that's a guess btw - I don't know for a fact)

19 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

When talking about the affordability of a coach it’s not about the salary it’s more about the playing budget/transfer war chest that is more a sticking point.  Most proven managers want the best chance of suceeding so only take jobs with a relatively high wage bill (e.g Steve Bruce, hughton, ‘arry). They don’t want to risk a failure on their CV so it’s self perpetuating!

someone up and coming like cook who always outperforms his wage bill is someone that I want-our model isn’t to break FFP and take a gamble, we have an accountant in charge not a poker player like Brighton..

I think Fontaine and Alex_BCFC may be right. I think City are quite prepared to meet the individual salary of the new head coach, but it's whether they're prepared to work within the budget they're likely to get, and possibly the current coaching staff if City don't want to spend in that area. 

One way to claw back the extra salary would be that when Mark Ashton goes to Steve Lansdown, right I’m going to buy the next Adelukan, Szmodics, Engvall, (insert any other name here that the manager didn’t want), Mr Lansdown tells him to hold on a minute, gives Chris Hughton a call and asks him if he wants that player, and if he says no, then we don’t bother wasting the money on said player. 
Ashton may be able to drive up the price when selling players that have done well for us but his record of signing players is very poor. I mean what is the point in signing any player that the manager won’t use. And some will say that for every few of those that don’t sell for massive profit, you get an Adam Webster, go back through the Ashton interview that season, the snake oil salesman himself said that Lee wanted him. Lee only wanted to let Flint go if he could have Webster. MA should not be involved in identifying incoming transfers. Negotiating them, fair enough. Trust the manager and his scouting team to bring in what he wants. 

29 minutes ago, ChubStixx said:

I think it'll be a very good appointment. It'll be refreshing to hear less corporate/textbook speak - and that's not a dig at our last head coach.

Also, I think a huge side effect of this appointment will be the empowerment of bald or balding men. This shouldn't be understated.

make it so patrick stewart GIF

1 hour ago, where's the joy said:

Most of us cannot comprehend the astronomic salaries of players (myself included); so we get told how much they earn a week as if somehow that makes it easier and keeps them in touch with 'the working man' because he gets paid a wage.

LJ was earning between £4 to 600,000 as his salary, so i can't feel too sorry for him as he will still be being paid for his unexpired contract 

Because he has tasted premiership money Hughton will expect his salary to be in millions, while Cook will have been paid far less. Probably less than half.

Much as we might want Hughton and he may be the best man for the job, we will still consider having a "shop in Primark" 

Annual losses around £10M over the last few years and you can save 5% by appointing Cook and not Hughton. 

Fair enough you say. But the premier league money would deliver a 100+M windfall through TV money.

Go on SL get the best you can because you are worth it

The best doesn't necessarily mean most expensive/highest paid!

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think Joe Williams plays wide right sometimes too.

Looks like he came on as sub a few times this season in that role.

I wonder if Joe Morrell could play that kind of role like Brownhill. Bit different of course but might work.

I’ve seen Joe play left or right of a diamond in Wales age group football.  He has the energy and is good technically.

Szmodics did play wide right away at QPR in cup. Think whoever plays in our 4 midfield assuming that's what he goes with, will be helped by hopefully having the extra body linking play in behind Wells.
yep, absolutely.  It’s just nice to start looking at managers like Cook, their system, and how our squad would fit it.

Yeah appreciate the link. Saw some highlights of their games earlier on youtube. Can't really tell though unless I see a whole game with how they play it out the back. Just fed up with hoofball and no real passing patterns of play in our team.
Me too...that’s why I enjoyed the 5 games under Holden.  That opening 30 minutes v us at the DW was a really good example of how they can pass through the thirds under Cook.

I'm hoping he adapts to what we have. As we are very different to Wigan.
he’s had enough different clubs and players over his career.  His Wigan side evolved during his time.

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, but even so, worth watching highlights.  As you said you can’t remember the game at AG. It’ll give you a better insight.  You might still not like it, that’s cool.

I just don’t see the point on being biased one way or the other without a decent reason. ??‍♂️

1. I agree re Nagy, doesn’t strike me as the Cook type

2. For Palmer, maybe compare to Nick Powell, a mercurial talent, reckoned to be a bit lazy.  Got him on a free, and turned him around.

3. Could see Sam Szmodics on the right of that “3”.

4. Don’t be fooled by 4231 meaning two wingers.  He doesn’t play out and out wingers like Eliasson, but hardworking “wide players”.  Lowe is an athletic “forward” who can play predominantly in either wide position, but can also play centrally.  Naismith is an elegant wide player, drifts in off the line.  Reminds me of a Darren Anderton-type.  I could see him liking Watkins as a role player.

Me too, you won’t get “box entries” or “clutch” with Paul Cook.

I said similar in an earlier post, he knows the division, he’ll have prepared for playing City twice, he’ll know their strengths and weaknesses.

Funny, but he’s been in my top 3 of realistic managers for 2+ years, and I liked him before that.  I don’t care whether we’ve had 3m applicants, he would find his way towards the top of any pile of realistic applicants.  I haven’t been praying, but if he gets it I will be saying “praise the lord”.

Me....massively.

I have a lot of respect for your opinion, and have noted you seem to have good insight.  Maybe I need to reconsider Cook?  I also noticed that Wigan won away at Leeds and WBA last season, no mean feat?

As others have said it’s not so much about ‘cheaper’ managers - it’s about a manager who knows the Championship and Cook certainly falls into that category as does Hughton. 

As fo CH he’ll has other options and he almost certainly sees himself as PL manager.

£.1.2m for a manager that has won promotion from the championship and managed in the premier. Experienced, great connections and we'll liked in the game

Or save a few quid and get someone that's had two seasons in the championship managing a team in the bottom half of the table.

We are making a very clear statement with this appointment, and it's not a good one

17 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I would suggest that it's working with what Mark Ashton throws his way (and takes away) that would be a bigger sticking point than salary.

The Bristol City Head Coach doesn't have full control over players in/out or budget (that's a guess btw - I don't know for a fact)

Here's a question, would a prospective candidate ask about the transfer budget, prior to their interview, perhaps subject to an NDA, in order not to waste time?

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

As others have said it’s not so much about ‘cheaper’ managers - it’s about a manager who knows the Championship and Cook certainly falls into that category as does Hughton. 

As fo CH he’ll has other options and he almost certainly sees himself as PL manager.

Lets be honest, Hughton is overqualified for the job.

1 minute ago, Curr Avon said:

Lets be honest, Hughton is overqualified for the job.

Pottechino would have been overqualified CA but not necessarily so in Hiughtons case. As I posted just now CH probably sees himself as PL manager.

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

.... and therein lies the problem. This is the acid test.

The fundamental question being are the Club happy with the Strategy?

Don't think they should be. After 4.5 years we have a team with no identity, shape, formation, partnerships and no ******* midfield. We are also entering into unchartered territory post Virus where football economics is totally up in the air. 

At this juncture their should be a major Strategy review and existing failings addressed, likely failings planned for.

My greatest fear is that we ‘go again’ with an unaltered Strategy and a new ‘puppet’ manager in place.

Hughton would have at least indicated that the Strategy had been adapted. A Cook, Robins-like appointment is the same old, just dressed up differently.

The strategy is sound its the implementation from the previous head coach that was the isse

1 hour ago, tin said:

I looked purely at what he spent in transfer fees in both 2009/10 and 2016/17, and in both cases Hughton spent wisely and utilised the loan market - two of many attributes that are required here. I'm not willing to go down a rabbit hole with Hughton as it seems clear the board is not interested in a proven candidate. Undoubtedly, the wage bills, turnover, losses etc would be high. I just dispute the claim that he spent large sums to get Newcastle and Brighton in the PL.

Agree to disagree but Newcastle kept a fair chunk of their PL squad and a wage bill of £47m at this level is fairly large even now.

Back then, in 2009/10 it was ENORMOUS. I'm willing at one point to try and find the wage bills in 2009/10 Championship.

Hell 2nd place West Brom that season had one of around half that. 'Big spending' (at that time) QPR around £17m.

I've scoured the accounts and the £47m could've been inclusive of promotion bonuses but I see nothing to indicate yet.

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/archive/newcastle-united-limited-accounts/

The Mike Ashley strategy appears to be stay up at all costs and if come down, use past headroom to come back in one go. Keeps his need for subsidy low and his investment obviously better served in the PL.

Anything other than promotion would've been a failure that year IMO.

Archived