IGNORED

Paul Cook

BCFC1512

IF we opt for Cook I am struggling to see the sense of the appointment. He's got a win % of 41% during his time at Wigan, this includes the promotion season.

Two years of championship management 

Two years bottom half finish

Zero years premiership experience

When you compare CH, his win % for BHA in the Prem was 41% and 55% for Newcastle

Multiple years in the championship

Won two promotions

Managed in the Prem and kept BHA up

On paper, I don't understand how a manager with little relevant experience of the championship and NO experience of the Prem is a better choice.

If cook is the man, we have to support, but sadly I fear we've missed the boat again. CH would have been an amazing fit.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Pottechino would have been overqualified CA but not necessarily so in Hiughtons case. As I posted just now CH probably sees himself as PL manager.

You're right Alan, CH does see himself as a PL manager, because of a decent track record in that division. Based on that and two promotions from the Championship, he is overqualified, which is why City should appoint him. Preferably asap.

Just now, Murraysrightplum said:

He’s a better choice if CH doesn’t want to work at Bristol City and gets a job at another club. Mainly because he’d be the manager of a different club leaving us with no manager.

I don't think he's ever come out and said he didn't want to join. He's been keen from day one according to the media

3 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

IF we opt for Cook I am struggling to see the sense of the appointment. He's got a win % of 41% during his time at Wigan, this includes the promotion season.

When you compare CH, his win % for BHA in the Prem was 41% and 55% for Newcastle

Won two promotions

On paper, I don't understand how a manager with little relevant experience of the championship and NO experience of the Prem is a better choice.

If cook is the man, we have to support, but sadly I fear we've missed the boat again. CH would have been an amazing fit.

Agree with the numbers bit and I've stated elsewhere that Cook is a totally under whelming choice.

But I think we ought to forget about CH, he's either been offered the job and has turned it down, been offered the job but is waiting for a better offer elsewhere or we haven't made an offer in which case he knows he is at least 2nd choice so unlikely to come. Maybe wrong and would be delighted if he is appointed but don't think it will happen.

2 hours ago, chowie said:

I’m obsessed with City to the point I sometimes think I have a problem but frankly I couldn’t care less about players and managers from elsewhere. I don’t know much about Cook and don’t plan to unless he becomes our manager. This stat will do me though. After seeing that, I’m a bit confused as to why some on here are so against him being appointed? 

5 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Pompey fan I know very well says, ‘Oh dear! He’s a bully and a drunk!!’ 

Poor lad, but that's what supporting Pompey does for you.

I think this latest escapade might be leading a few of us along the same path though...

22 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

£.1.2m for a manager that has won promotion from the championship and managed in the premier. Experienced, great connections and we'll liked in the game

Or save a few quid and get someone that's had two seasons in the championship managing a team in the bottom half of the table.

We are making a very clear statement with this appointment, and it's not a good one

You could argue managing a team on a fraction of the crowds, transfer budget and wage budget (£10m less overall was quoted yesterday) to one place below the previous incumbent at Bristol City prior to the points deduction? You could also argue that had the previous Manager remained until the end of the season Wigan would have finished above us on a fraction of the budget.

15 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Won two promotions

41% is pretty solid. Cotterill's is about that during his entire career. Anything over 40% is decent as a lower league manager.

23 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

£.1.2m for a manager that has won promotion from the championship and managed in the premier. Experienced, great connections and we'll liked in the game

Or save a few quid and get someone that's had two seasons in the championship managing a team in the bottom half of the table.

We are making a very clear statement with this appointment, and it's not a good one

In your wildest dreams you cannot really believe that the deciding factor in who we appoint will be whether we can ‘save a few quid’.  As I’ve said elsewhere, whatever the salary I firmly believe we will appoint the person who the club feel is the right person in football terms to take the side forward at this point in time.  Can we please get away from the ridiculous suggestion that all Steve Lansdown wants to do is save a few bob?

48 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

This is one of the reasons why we don’t advance , people like you clinging onto past mistakes like badges of honour.

We are not the same club that we were even five years ago. 

SL has said he wanted top six this year . LJ failed . LJ showed the door .

I don’t doubt that SL will approve the best candidate in the club’s opinion to achieve the goal.

My comment was that Hughton being appointed would throw down the gauntlet to the players, the Championship and  install us at short odds to make the top six .

Cook, is a very good coach , who could very well get us promoted but doesn’t have the same ‘ media ‘ impact as CH. 

And this sort of attitude will get us relegated. You want a manager with HYPE

**** hype!

I'm more interested in what they have done. And their ability to take us somewhere. I dont care if they arent well known. Means nothing if they are.

18 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Won two promotions

Why would Hughton be an amazing fit? We don’t know what he’s asked for as a budget , wages , bonuses, his views on our current squad? IF Hughton was the boards first choice he would be in role now , for whatever reason he hasn’t I guess we’ll never know why 

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

In your wildest dreams you cannot really believe that the deciding factor in who we appoint will be whether we can ‘save a few quid’.  As I’ve said elsewhere, whatever the salary I firmly believe we will appoint the person who the club feel is the right person in football terms to take the side forward at this point in time.  Can we please get away from the ridiculous suggestion that all Steve Lansdown wants to do is save a few bob?

Lansdown has many faults but agree doing something to save a few bob I’m not sure he can be accused of that. Anybody who believes that , take a walk around Ashton Gate this afternoon 

38 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I have a lot of respect for your opinion, and have noted you seem to have good insight.  Maybe I need to reconsider Cook?  I also noticed that Wigan won away at Leeds and WBA last season, no mean feat?

Shows his tactical variety albeit within the same framework too. Both finished 1-0 but were quite different!

At Leeds, they had to absorb a lot of possession, a lot of pressure- they won 1-0 but unsure how merited.

At West Brom however, same score but different. Had more chances, more of the ball- certainly one half. 

Seems like me makes tweaks within framework as opposed to whole changes ala LJ. That's a positive.

27 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

As Foggy has pointed out, I suspect 41% isn't that bad to be honest

At Wigan, who have yo-yo'd for a few years. Not bad at all

At Wigan. I'd wager the finish vs expenditure table puts this achievement in a much different light

Give him time....he's saving that for a proper club

You can't compare, as you pointed out PC hasn't been to the PL as a manager

CH has a few years on PC, come back when PC is at the same age as CH

Won two promotions

See above

See above (but replace BHA with BC)

Maybe CH is holding out for Watford, or maybe Bournemouth might have a vacancy going. Maybe there's something about CH that makes MA / SL think they can't work with him. Maybe the choice just isn't ours to make

See above

29 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

I don't think he's ever come out and said he didn't want to join. He's been keen from day one according to the media

I guess if you're on the dole and there's a job you could do going for upwards of half a million quid a year, I guess you'd be unlikely to rule yourself out, eh? 

Just to also confirm; I haven't ruled myself out either. 

40 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Won two promotions

Comparing win percentages of a manager with a small budget with a manager who has a large budget is naive at best.

3 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I guess if you're on the dole and there's a job you could do going for upwards of half a million quid a year, I guess you'd be unlikely to rule yourself out, eh? 

Me too. 
I can confirm I’ve not ruled myself out. 
I also understand @Davefevs ‘people’ haven’t confirmed he’s been ruled out either. 

50 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I have a lot of respect for your opinion, and have noted you seem to have good insight.  Maybe I need to reconsider Cook?  I also noticed that Wigan won away at Leeds and WBA last season, no mean feat?

Ta.  As I said to JonD, have a look at some video, look at recruitment, look at budgets.  Then decide?  He might still be someone you don’t like....but at least you’re doing it with good reason.

You may come up with reasons I’ve not considered.

I take the mickey out of JonD for always going on about height of players, but I actually (sadly???) went into Wyscout last night and went through the heights of ours and Wigan’s starting elevens for their final league match.  Wigan’s was 23 inches more than ours.  That’s 2 inches per player.  Obviously a striker inn Moore at 6’5” gives 8 inches on Nahki Wells at 5’9”, but he made a useful point.

46 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Here's a question, would a prospective candidate ask about the transfer budget, prior to their interview, perhaps subject to an NDA, in order not to waste time?

Yes, I’m sure if the manager doesn’t,Agent discussions will touch on it.

39 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Won two promotions

But you are comparing Paul Cook with a manager who:

1) had the biggest budget in the Championship at Newcastle, kept a squad from the Prem, etc etc

2) had the biggest budget of the non-parachute payment clubs with Brighton

You can’t just compare league table positions and win percentage if you want a fair comparison.  You have to have context too.

Don't get me wrong, CH was my no1, but he was very closely followed by Cook.  In terms of fit, Cook probably shades it because of what he’s achieved with Wigan on the budget he has.

23 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

You could argue managing a team on a fraction of the crowds, transfer budget and wage budget (£10m less overall was quoted yesterday) to one place below the previous incumbent at Bristol City prior to the points deduction? You could also argue that had the previous Manager remained until the end of the season Wigan would have finished above us on a fraction of the budget.

That was me.

4 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Wonder if 'on the dole' football managers get sanctioned by the social if they don't apply?

In theory if Paul Cook gets the job there should be absolutely nothing left to say about him as it’s all already been said. The same with Hughton. But, this being OTIB, I bet we’ll have at least 50 pages. 

Archived