IGNORED

Paul Cook

BCFC1512

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Me too. 
I can confirm I’ve not ruled myself out. 
I also understand @Davefevs ‘people’ haven’t confirmed he’s been ruled out either. 

My people haven’t spoken to “Bristol”....but if you think Cook is the cheap option, wait til you hear my demands ???

4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Comparing win percentages of a manager with a small budget with a manager who has a large budget is naive at best.

Not at all, cook managing Pompey in lg2 was a bit of a walk in the park

By the way, BHA had one of the smallest budgets in the Prem..... So it's naive to make a comparison on budget 

• Admin
1 minute ago, Matthew me said:

By the way, BHA had one of the smallest budgets in the Prem..... So it's naive to make a comparison on budget 

I'm not sure how you can compare any stat from a different league

It may aswell be from a different Country

27 minutes ago, Riaz said:

And this sort of attitude will get us relegated. You want a manager with HYPE

**** hype!

I'm more interested in what they have done. And their ability to take us somewhere. I dont care if they arent well known. Means nothing if they are.

Disagree.

Nketiah dumped us for leeds, we had to invite Ian Wright over who literally knew nothing about us to prove we were an actual football club and not a farmers field where a few blokes have a kick about. 

Hes an idiot of course but not alone in his mindset. 

Our brand is terrible outside of the south west, we absolutely need a "name" to go about changing that. 

IMO Paul Cook does nothing to change that, no matter how many wins he has had in league one and two.

We need to make this a club prople want to join, not have to join to make it somewhere else.

5 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Let’s get to the Prem, and then we’ll have an even smaller budget than Brighton.

3 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Fair, so compare Cooks record v LJ or CH in the championship.... I know who comes last

You are looking at it too one-dimensionally.

3 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Disagree.

Nketiah dumped us for leeds, we had to invite Ian Wright over who literally knew nothing about us to prove we were an actual football club and not a farmers field where a few blokes have a kick about. 

Our brand is terrible outside of the south west, we absolutely need a "name" to go about changing that. 

IMO Paul Cook does nothing to change that, no matter how many wins he has had in league one and two.

We need to make this a club prople want to join, not have to join to make it somewhere else.

Nketiah is the only example in recent years I can think we missed out on? At the end of the day a huge club came in at the eleventh hour and hijacked it. You think he'd have chosen us if we had Hughton? No chance.

I couldn't give two shits about the 'brand', get promoted and that takes care of itself. We are seen as a consistent top half club at this level, we don't have trouble attracting good players at the likes of Abraham, Kalas, Palmer, Dasilva, Massengo, Eliasson, Diedhiou, Nagy, Wells, et al. prove.

4 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Disagree.

It will be like that until we get promoted to the prem.. or appoint some huge like Stevie G...

Chris Hughton wont change that.

1 minute ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Disagree.

Totally agree. Its this small time mentality that many of our fans have that still holds us back. Almost like some of the fanbase are scared of a bigger named manager and a bit of a media circus.. it would actually for once be quite nice for the media to focus on us and to be in the limelight.
I throughly enjoyed the media coverage we got when we got to the semi’s of the league cup - it didn’t do the club any harm did it? On the contrary i think that one cup run actually directly helped us attract a better calibre of player in the following transfer window’s.

As you said Wolf Paul Cook does nothing to raise the profile of the club.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My people haven’t spoken to “Bristol”....but if you think Cook is the cheap option, wait til you hear my demands ???

I can picture you now in front of the big screen on the training ground

You'd be in your element

We are Fev's red & white army

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

It will be like that until we get promoted to the prem.. or appoint some huge like Stevie G...

Chris Hughton wont change that.

CH is a bigger name than Cook, has managed in the Premiership and I think you're just plain wrong.

SG, big name but unproven.

WoWS talks sense in that we've tried the L1/L2 proven managers route and it's gotten us nowhere.

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Nketiah is the only example in recent years I can think we missed out on? At the end of the day a huge club came in at the eleventh hour and hijacked it. You think he'd have chosen us if we had Hughton? No chance.

I couldn't give two shits about the 'brand', get promoted and that takes care of itself. We are seen as a consistent top half club at this level, we don't have trouble attracting good players at the likes of Abraham, Kalas, Palmer, Dasilva, Massengo, Eliasson, Diedhiou, Nagy, Wells, et al. prove.

I think players would rather play for Hughton than Paul Cook. 

Take Abraham out of that list because he was an 18 year old loan, the rest are good but not great players, certainly doubtful that any are premier league quality. 

9 minutes ago, bris red said:

Totally agree. Its this small time mentality that many of our fans have that still holds us back. Almost like some of the fanbase are scared of a bigger named manager and a bit of a media circus.. it would actually for once be quite nice for the media to focus on us and to be in the limelight.
I throughly enjoyed the media coverage we got when we got to the semi’s of the league cup - it didn’t do the club any harm did it? On the contrary i think that one cup run actually directly helped us attract a better calibre of player in the following transfer window’s.

I'm not sure Hughton would either. He's a very good manager with a bit of Premier League experience but I don't think he's a glamorous name by any means. Clearly, if we appointed a Gerrard or a Terry then we'd have the short of media circus and bigger name and press intrigue next season. But Gerrard doesn't seem to fancy it and most fans feel Terry would be too much of a gamble so we are where we are, and where we are is considering between a few Championship standard managers, one of whom has experience of promotion and others may or may not get experience of promotion in the future.

Ultimately, if we can't find a suitable big name player appropriate to manage us, the only possible way we'll make some noise and get attention is to win on the and play well on the pitch. It then comes down to who is the best option to deliver that. I've a slight preference for Cook over Hughton but time would tell. 

8 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I think players would rather play for Hughton than Paul Cook. 

Take Abraham out of that list because he was an 18 year old loan, the rest are good but not great players, certainly doubtful that any are premier league quality. 

Well we're not in the Premier League so I wouldn't worry about that just yet.

Like I said, as far as the evidence suggests, we aren't missing out on players due to their perception of us, as you suggest, so it seems that's not actually a real thing. Sorry but Leeds are massive, and if Hughton had been here he'd have still gone to Leeds.

As for Tammy being an 18 year old loan and thus excluded from the conversation, didn't you just say that we missed out on Nketiah because our 'brand' wasn't good enough? At the time, he would have been a 20 year old loan....so not sure what point you're actually making?

If Cook is under contract at Wigan can he just resign and take anther job? I thought clubs had to generally pay compensation to take another club's manager. Why can't they all get round it by asking their 'target' to simply resign if this is the case? 

Also, if we've interviewed him while under contract at Wigan isn't that considered poaching and against the rules? 

I do find the rules around this in football a bit confusing. Maybe them being in Administration affects it? 

On the subject of resources it's interesting that Wigan's latest wage bill was an eye watering £19m(!) in 2019

Absolute madness for a team that's just come up, and they were only behind Aston Villa and Reading for the severity of their wage/revenue ratio. 

36 minutes ago, bris red said:

Its the arrogant mentality that holds us back, some fans think we have a god given right to be in the prem despite never playing there

Some fans think we should be spanking money left right and centre disregarding the rules in place

People Want a name even though it means nothing

Pulis is a name a huge manager why don't we get him, how about sven goren Ericsson,

Why don't we just wait for the club to appoint some one, then give that someone a ******* chance instead of being whiney about it,

32 minutes ago, 'Orns said:

I can picture you now in front of the big screen on the training ground

You'd be in your element

We are Fev's red & white army

Name scans perfectly, too:

"And when we're promoted

This is what we'll sing -

We are City, we are City,

Davefevs is our king."

Mind you, Harry fits, too - so does Hughton.....

Another way of looking at it is if we interviewed Hughton and his budget demands were unrealistic and represented financial suicide or if he gave the impression he wasn’t overly excited by the job or had no long term plan what should we do?

We clearly had to interview other candidates otherwise that’s another month wasted? Would people take Paul Cook if Hughton was a non starter?

If not who else is realistically out there with the proven track record we need? It certainly wasn’t Gerrard if we are going down the road of track record.

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

And this sort of attitude will get us relegated. You want a manager with HYPE

**** hype!

I'm more interested in what they have done. And their ability to take us somewhere. I dont care if they arent well known. Means nothing if they are.

I am evidently not making myself clear to you , I’m sorry .

It’s all about , intent. 

Bringing a ‘name ‘ if you like ,throws down the gauntlet and galvanises the whole club as the intention is clearly to go for promotion. 

Paul Cook, whilst a top coach, could very well be the man to take us up but he doesn’t represent the picture of desire to get into the Prem in the same way that Leeds bringing in Bielsa did for example.

Archived