IGNORED

Paul Cook

BCFC1512

55 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My people haven’t spoken to “Bristol”....but if you think Cook is the cheap option, wait til you hear my demands ???

I have had a sneak preview and I think you are pushing it with that second bag of Jelly Babies on match days. :) 

21 minutes ago, Renaissance Williams said:

Name scans perfectly, too:

"And when we're promoted

This is what we'll sing -

We are City, we are City,

Davefevs is our king."

Mind you, Harry fits, too - so does Hughton.....

Rules out @CyderInACan  

He hasn’t got a song. ?

13 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I am evidently not making myself clear to you , I’m sorry .

It’s all about , intent. 

Bringing a ‘name ‘ if you like ,throws down the gauntlet and galvanises the whole club as the intention is clearly to go for promotion. 

Paul Cook, whilst a top coach, could very well be the man to take us up but he doesn’t represent the picture of desire to get into the Prem in the same way that Leeds bringing in Bielsa did for example.

Let's just remember that it took "Big Name" Bielsa, despite the track record that came with him, two goes to get Leeds out of the Championship. It's a bloody hard league to get out of. The consensus on here seems to be a very clear, cringey mantra that is more in keeping with the Gas, of "Announce Hughton, Announce Promotion"................

59 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I think players would rather play for Hughton than Paul Cook. 

Take Abraham out of that list because he was an 18 year old loan, the rest are good but not great players, certainly doubtful that any are premier league quality. 

On what basis?  I don’t get statements like this with absolute zero qualification!

How many of our current squad have played / trained under Hughton?

Korey Smith and Niki Maenpaa, both out of contract.

What’s the relevance of Tammy Abraham in your argument?  Reece James didn’t seem to mind playing for Paul Cook.

55 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

What would your conclusion be from this, Fevs?

Haven’t watched it, was more for other people.  I’ve seen enough of them to know they are a side that pass it when they can, work bloody hard for each other, etc.

26 minutes ago, Renaissance Williams said:

Name scans perfectly, too:

"And when we're promoted

This is what we'll sing -

We are City, we are City,

Davefevs is our king."

Mind you, Harry fits, too - so does Hughton.....

Harry wants Head of Recruitment I’ve heard.

44 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Well we're not in the Premier League so I wouldn't worry about that just yet.

Like I said, as far as the evidence suggests, we aren't missing out on players due to their perception of us, as you suggest, so it seems that's not actually a real thing. Sorry but Leeds are massive, and if Hughton had been here he'd have still gone to Leeds.

As for Tammy being an 18 year old loan and thus excluded from the conversation, didn't you just say that we missed out on Nketiah because our 'brand' wasn't good enough? At the time, he would have been a 20 year old loan....so not sure what point you're actually making?

Yeah my examples aren't great you're correct, and although I have no actual evidence of player turning us down, (I don't work for the club) I'm certain if a similar offer was made to a player by us and say, Fulham, hes going to Fulham. 

The point I am badly making is we are a small club in a part of the country that is hardly a hotbed for football achievement, often hiring managers who are pretty unknown outside of divisions 3 or 4. 

I really feel we need to make a bolder move and pay the money. The manager is out leader but likely paid less than the right back. 

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Let's just remember that it took "Big Name" Bielsa, despite the track record that came with him, two goes to get Leeds out of the Championship. It's a bloody hard league to get out of. The consensus on here seems to be a very clear, cringey mantra that is more in keeping with the Gas, of "Announce Hughton, Announce Promotion"................

That’s a very good point.

7 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Good point. We wouldn't love football if it was as predictable as "get manager A and players B and C and you win promotion". Shit never goes down like that. Too many variables.

It wouldn't be hard to compile a really big list of managers who've been major successes at some clubs and hopelessly flopped at others. Jeez, even if we just confined it to just ex-City managers, the list would be extensive.

2 hours ago, Matthew me said:

I don't think he's ever come out and said he didn't want to join. He's been keen from day one according to the media

? the media...

He’ll be talking to loads of clubs who are better prospects and pay more money. Whether he gets one of those bigger jobs Is another question but he’ll be sniffing round them for sure. So we may be in the frame but may not. It takes two to tango...

1 minute ago, Murraysrightplum said:

? the media...

He’ll be talking to loads of clubs who are better prospects and pay more money. Whether he gets one of those bigger jobs Is another question but he’ll be sniffing round them for sure. So we may be in the frame but may not. It takes two to tango...

But it's too late to teach you to dance …..

One for the kids there.

2 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

? the media...

Who? 

It’s got to be Cook - I think the club will appoint him to give everyone an above average chance of spelling his surname correctly - after giving us significant recent challenges in this regard by appointing McInnes, O’Driscoll and Cotterill, we have now been teased by the club and fans touting potential managers with such difficult surnames as Adkins, Gerrard and Hughton.

And all this on top of giving us current players with impossible first or surnames - eg: Paterson, Dasilva, Maenpaa (including umlauts above three letters!), Diedhiou (with an acute above the ‘e’!), Korey, Weimann, Szmodics, Adelakun, Eliasson, Nahki ... and Sir Steve would also like to point out (I’m sure!) that his surname does not end with an ‘e’ ....

So, to end this madness, they must give us a gaffer with an easy to spell name ... two words, four letters in each - although you just know he will be referred to as Cooke before long ... ???

(....before anyone gets annoyed and tries to use ‘autocorrect’ as the flimsiest of excuses, this post is very much intended to be taken as a lighthearted musing in the midst of all this managerial mayhem!)

26 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Yeah my examples aren't great you're correct, and although I have no actual evidence of player turning us down, (I don't work for the club) I'm certain if a similar offer was made to a player by us and say, Fulham, hes going to Fulham. 

The point I am badly making is we are a small club in a part of the country that is hardly a hotbed for football achievement, often hiring managers who are pretty unknown outside of divisions 3 or 4. 

I really feel we need to make a bolder move and pay the money. The manager is out leader but likely paid less than the right back. 

Agree, but that's all to do with Fulham's recent Premier League status, nothing to do with Scott Parker....

A player (up until now) would have probably chosen Bournemouth over Leeds. That's nothing to do with brand and everything to do with being in the Premier League.

We aren't a small club, and we're not a big club. Until we play Premier League football then the wider footballing world won't have much knowledge of us, that's just the sad fact of there being very little knowledge of life outside the top flight.

If we don't appoint Hughton, IMO, it'll be nothing to do with money. Lansdown for all his faults, is not afraid of putting his hand in his pocket. IMO all the 'cheap option' talk is well wide of the mark.

I actually agree to an extent that I'd quite like a 'name' to elevate our profile. But there's a lot more to it than just 'go and get him'.

1 hour ago, bris red said:

Its this small time mentality that many of our fans have that still holds us back

Could you explain how 'the fans are holding us back'. As far as I'm aware they are not involved in appointing the manager. They're only able to express an opinion, largely on here!

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s a very good point.

Maybe I'm just a typical fickle football fan... but for me it's hard to listen to that and not be excited. Extremely driven guy with admiration for the club and a proven winner (if at lower league level). If Paul Cook turns out to be our man then he'll have my full support. Thanks for sharing. 

7 hours ago, Riaz said:

Total bollocks.

as i said a million times. When it comes to appointing the most important position in a football club, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A CHEAP OPTION

Just because he isn’t a big name, means **** all. If we appointed Chris wilder a few years ago, you would both be moaning and look what’s he’s done at Sheffield United 

Big names rarely do well at city. So give me a so called underwhelming name every day of the week!

Chris Hughton is hardly a big name. He is simply the best candidate for the job. 

Is Paul Cook the best man for the job? Or is it a case of he comes at a good price considering Wigan are potless 

Would we be going for him had Wigan stayed up, not been in dire straits and if we had to pay a lot more compo? 

im not so sure 

Either way, I’ll get behind the guy. He can’t be any worse then the last guy 

11 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Chris Hughton is hardly a big name. He is simply the best candidate for the job. 

Is Paul Cook the best man for the job? Or is it a case of he comes at a good price considering Wigan are potless 

Would we be going for him had Wigan stayed up, not been in dire straits and if we had to pay a lot more compo? 

im not so sure 

I think the answer to that is very possibly yes. 

5 hours ago, chowie said:

2 hours ago, Matthew me said:

£.1.2m for a manager that has won promotion from the championship and managed in the premier. Experienced, great connections and we'll liked in the game

Or save a few quid and get someone that's had two seasons in the championship managing a team in the bottom half of the table.

We are making a very clear statement with this appointment, and it's not a good one

Seems Mr. Cook is up there with the very best in terms of winning games.

A good stat - much better than win percentages taken out of context.

13 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

im not so sure 

Hughton is certainly my preferred choice. However it is not always possible to get what you want for a number of reasons. I also agree that Paul Cook is not the type of Manager who you would say "go and get him, I don't care what it costs". However, if Hughton has made himself unsuitable for the job (not saying he has) then is there much out there that is both better than Paul Cook and we can realistically get?

If it was impossible to get the first choice and out of the other seven interviewed we've gone for the second best then I'm ok with that.

Absolutely agree that the Manager, whoever it is, has to be backed by the fans. People need to remember that, whether you want him here or not, the final choice won't be appointing himself!!

17 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

im not so sure 

Who says he's the best candidate? How many younger players has he played at his previous clubs.

How would he cope with a small budget than he's used too? How would he cope with constantly losing his best players?

And the last guy did a very good job overall

1 minute ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

Would’ve rather kept LJ tbh.. means we have to pay his compensation and hire a manager who is half the proven quality of CH... another mid table season next year then

Based on?

1 minute ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

The fact Chris hughton has multiple promotions to the premier league and Paul cook has managed chesterfield, Portsmouth and Accrington? 

Is that it?

When was Paul Cook been given a job with the resources of Norwich Brighton and Newcastle?

6 minutes ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

The fact Chris hughton has multiple promotions to the premier league and Paul cook has managed chesterfield, Portsmouth and Accrington? 

And has multiple promotions under his belt

Archived