IGNORED

Paul Cook

BCFC1512

2 minutes ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

Hardly to the level of premier league though is it?

Eddie Howe had 0 promotions to the PL or managerial experience when he took over Bournemouth in League 2.

As have many others

15 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Follow up tweet...

BDDC9A60-DF4C-4361-80C6-06B49F41BA8B.jpeg

This did cross my mind earlier. The administrators are quite rightly not football people and are there to keep the company afloat and to raise as many funds as possible to repay creditors. 

6 hours ago, supercidered said:

Its a bit like our new Striker hunt last summer. Ended up with Afobe which if I remember correctly was around 5th on the list of the most wanted. 

And then spun by MA as a master stroke. He was a quality addition but last minute nature of it didn’t help 

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I don't think it'll be legal for them to imprison him!  If he wants to quit, there's nothing that could stop him. 

If he joins another club shortly after I imagine Wigan/Administrators would have a case for compensation, he's under contract for a couple of seasons yet, he can't just quit so another employer can avoid compensation. If he wants to resign to literally have time away from football then they can't stop him

2 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

If Cook is under contract at Wigan can he just resign and take anther job? I thought clubs had to generally pay compensation to take another club's manager. Why can't they all get round it by asking their 'target' to simply resign if this is the case? 

Also, if we've interviewed him while under contract at Wigan isn't that considered poaching and against the rules? 

I do find the rules around this in football a bit confusing. Maybe them being in Administration affects it? 

So - maybe I was right to be confused after all.... 

33 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Follow up tweet...

BDDC9A60-DF4C-4361-80C6-06B49F41BA8B.jpeg

Oh my word. Really, they see him as an asset? Interesting analysis I guess.

If you're asking what it means. The administrators have a duty to the creditors of Wigan to recoup and pay them as high a % of what they are owed as possible. To do that they need to realise as much cash as they can by selling off the assets of the company, or by selling the company itself. Generally this can be done by selling anything from the tables and chairs in the canteen, to uncollected debts.

In football clubs it's also the contracts of players.

Seems as though the Admin has identified that Cook's contract still has value in it (the compensation) that a club may have to pay, and so if it allowed him to break his contract then it may be failing in its duty to raise cash.

We won't really be able to tell or have a view as we don't know the terms of his contract - ie who has the right to break it, how they do that, and what payments are required.

Ultimately, as always, money will talk.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It’s got to be Cook - I think the club will appoint him to give everyone an above average chance of spelling his surname correctly - after giving us significant recent challenges in this regard by appointing McInnes, O’Driscoll and Cotterill, we have now been teased by the club and fans touting potential managers with such difficult surnames as Adkins, Gerrard and Hughton.

And all this on top of giving us current players with impossible first or surnames - eg: Paterson, Dasilva, Maenpaa (including umlauts above three letters!), Diedhiou (with an acute above the ‘e’!), Korey, Weimann, Szmodics, Adelakun, Eliasson, Nahki ... and Sir Steve would also like to point out (I’m sure!) that his surname does not end with an ‘e’ ....

So, to end this madness, they must give us a gaffer with an easy to spell name ... two words, four letters in each - although you just know he will be referred to as Cooke before long ... ???

(....before anyone gets annoyed and tries to use ‘autocorrect’ as the flimsiest of excuses, this post is very much intended to be taken as a lighthearted musing in the midst of all this managerial mayhem!)

Yeah, I agree. Looking like Cock will get the job! ?

2 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

No they are just recruiting for a doctor

I had gone down the OTIB conspiratorial rabbit hole and got lost, thanks for bringing me back and setting me straight.

Nothing is guaranteed in life (see Steve Coppell) but this would be a good appointment I think. Nothing like LJ who has never achieved a promotion so not sure why people are comparing the two.

He has a record of getting teams promoted (albeit at the 3 levels lowers than this but is always a good thing to have on your CV) and his job with Wigan has been nothing short of outstanding. I'm sure someone has the stats but haven't Wigan been going at promotion form in the 2nd half of the season? All with a squad which I don't think is any better than ours.

My only concern is whether he fits the mould that SL and Ashton want with the whole Bristol Sport thing. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm impressed that we are looking at managers like Chris Hughton and Paul Cook, it shows we're moving in the right direction, both great managers.

With that being said, I feel like we are kidding ourselves. I mean can we really, and I mean can we really, kid ourselves? I don't think either of them can possibly compare to saying yes like Dean Holden can!

Just looked - Wigan's last 17. 9 wins, 6 draws and 2 defeats. Promotion form.

We were lucky to win up there too - they battered us for most of the game (especially first half). Got the feeling they were missing a real top striker which is why they were down there.

33 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Oh my word. Really, they see him as an asset? Interesting analysis I guess.

If you're asking what it means. The administrators have a duty to the creditors of Wigan to recoup and pay them as high a % of what they are owed as possible. To do that they need to realise as much cash as they can by selling off the assets of the company, or by selling the company itself. Generally this can be done by selling anything from the tables and chairs in the canteen, to uncollected debts.

In football clubs it's also the contracts of players.

Seems as though the Admin has identified that Cook's contract still has value in it (the compensation) that a club may have to pay, and so if it allowed him to break his contract then it may be failing in its duty to raise cash.

We won't really be able to tell or have a view as we don't know the terms of his contract - ie who has the right to break it, how they do that, and what payments are required.

Ultimately, as always, money will talk.

I've read it's £1.6m compensation but who knows if admin changes this!

Makes perfect sense I'd suggest- if entitled to payout with a club (or business) in admin, you're going to pursue every avenue!

As you say, duty to the creditors and all that- if there's a buyout or compensation clause I wouldn't expect anything less.

4 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Just looked - Wigan's last 17. 9 wins, 6 draws and 2 defeats. Promotion form.

We were lucky to win up there too - they battered us for most of the game (especially first half). Got the feeling they were missing a real top striker which is why they were down there.

I saw them a few times in the early-mid part of last season, including both games against us and that was very much the theme. Lots of decent football, creating chances but not clinical in front of goal, and prone to givng soft goals away.

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I've read it's £1.6m compensation but who knows if admin changes this!

I suspect his contract, as with any football manager contract, has some pretty convoluted termination clauses. I also expect they don't expressly cover what happens if he leaves whilst the club is in administration as that would be a pretty niche circumstance to cover in an employment contract. It may well be that under normal circumstances the compo (essentially a break clause payment) is £1.6m, but whether that holds in the actual circumstances is a different issue.  Also consider the effect any relegation clause may have. Are the admins treating those as activated now (if they exist) or are they saying that because the appeal is pending Wigan are still to be treated as a Championship club?

Wouldn't be surprised if he could leave for free following relegation but compo has to be paid if he leaves whilst Wigan are a Champ club. So what are they?

Wigan are in a very unusual, possibly even unique, situation regarding their relegation and administration. There won't be a precedent to point to.

Up to the lawyers and administrators to thrash it out, and ultimately I am sure we can pay the compensation due. May put pay to the "cheap option" allegation though.

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I suspect his contract, as with any football manager contract, has some pretty convoluted termination clauses. I also expect they don't expressly cover what happens if he leaves whilst the club is in administration as that would be a pretty niche circumstance to cover in an employment contract. It may well be that under normal circumstances the compo (essentially a break clause payment) is £1.6m, but whether that holds in the actual circumstances is a different issue.  Also consider the effect any relegation clause may have. Are the admins treating those as activated now (if they exist) or are they saying that because the appeal is pending Wigan are still to be treated as a Championship club?

Wigan are in a very unusual, possibly even unique, situation regarding their relegation and administration. There won't be a precedent to point to.

Up to the lawyers and administrators to thrash it out, and ultimately I am sure we can pay the compensation due. May put pay to the "cheap option" allegation though.

There’s a couple of issues here:

1) as you say, if relegated then either party could have a relegation release clause or wage reduction.  Has that been triggered?

2) in his current contract he has value, but not £1.6m worth.  Every day he remains on their books he’s costing them both wages and his contract value decreases.  You’d expect an Administrator to know that “cutting a deal” is best, and getting some money into the club (assumes no buyer imminent).  Preferred bidder collapsed....due to pay £1m in wages anytime soon.

May as well take at some of Wigan's recent home metrics.

Let's say the last 7- can go longer if we want but 7.

P7W5D2L0F16A1Pts17GD+15

So far, so decent. They played a mix of bottom clubs, midtable sides and playoff contenders- plus of course Fulham on final day- who represented the latter but still with an outside chance of 2nd.

Average Per game

Possession- 53.1%

Shots FOR- 14.14

Shots AGAINST- 9.57

Shots on Target FOR- 5

Shots on Target AGAINST- 2.28 (Maybe 2.29 with rounding).

Pretty good I'd suggest! Gives the lie, albeit that was a golden period for them, to the idea that they aren't much of a footballing side, over physical and the like.

Happy to go further back as well if anyone wants.

25 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm impressed that we are looking at managers like Chris Hughton and Paul Cook, it shows we're moving in the right direction, both great managers.

With that being said, I feel like we are kidding ourselves. I mean can we really, and I mean can we really, kid ourselves? I don't think either of them can possibly compare to saying yes like Dean Holden can!

Have you ever met dean? Maybe during a school lunch break? I can assure you he is anything but a yes man!

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There’s a couple of issues here:

1) as you say, if relegated then either party could have a relegation release clause or wage reduction.  Has that been triggered?

2) in his current contract he has value, but not £1.6m worth.  Every day he remains on their books he’s costing them both wages and his contract value decreases.  You’d expect an Administrator to know that “cutting a deal” is best, and getting some money into the club (assumes no buyer imminent).  Preferred bidder collapsed....due to pay £1m in wages anytime soon.

Agreed, all administrators know that ultimately you have to cut a deal and getting £1 is better than getting £0. However, the legal duty is to get the best deal (IIRC from my insolvency work in the UK). 

I think they must be arguing over whether or not Wigan are a championship or league one club. If the Admins proceed on the basis that they are league one, and so dispose of assets such as Cook on that basis for reduced value, and then the appeal is won (unlikely I accept) then the creditors could potentially come at the Admins for not getting the best deal. 

I must stress that this is all, entirely, 100% speculation on my part and none of this has been reported on the OS or any other official source.

Archived