IGNORED

Paul Cook

BCFC1512

13 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes, I have pal. I'm admitting basket case probably wasn't the right term whilst acknowledging that all the clubs he has managed thus far have had nothing like the expectation that is at Bristol City right now. 

Agreed? Or not?

Your point seems to be that it’s a step up in terms of the professionalism of our club and that he might not suit that. 

It’s also a step up in terms of a club seeking promotion to the premier league.

The second one doesn’t bother me at all- see Conte to Juve or every career move any of us have ever made. The first point is what matters to me. 

2 minutes ago, fairweather said:

Your point seems to be that it’s a step up in terms of the professionalism of our club and that he might not suit that. 

It’s also a step up in terms of a club seeking portion to the premier league.

The second one doesn’t bother me at all- see Conte to Juve or every career move any of have ever made. The first point is what matters to me. 

It's also a step up in managing players on much higher wages and being able to motivate them, preferably without shouting and bullying them, as he did at Pompey. What works on players earning £2k a week might not work on those earning £20k  week. 

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It's also a step up in managing players on much higher wages and being able to motivate them, preferably without shouting and bullying them, as he did at Pompey. What works on players earning £2k a week might not work on those earning £20k  week. 

I agree, but doesn't him managing Wigan in the championship negate that concern?

3 minutes ago, ChubStixx said:

I agree, but doesn't him managing Wigan in the championship negate that concern?

No, because they were underdogs in this division. Cship and L2 are seriously chalk and cheese as well. 

Wigan is one thing, us a very different number, for me. I really don't think he's a great fit for our owners.

Similar to Cotterill, and I'd be surprised if SL went down that route again. In fact, why not get Cotterill back in? Took Burnley to mid table and arguably recruited much of their promotion winning side from this division?

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

That's my recollection of where both clubs were at when he was in charge. Certainly Chesterfield have come into hard times since he left.

Happy to be corrected.

Notwithstanding that, they are both very unfashionable clubs, particularly AS, where expectations are low. 

Unfashionable clubs definitely.

Accrington, not so sure about them being a basket case back then. Andy Holt is an excellent custodian of that club.

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Unfashionable clubs definitely.

Accrington, not so sure about them being a basket case back then. Andy Holt is an excellent custodian of that club.

He is tbf. Really like Andy, doing his absolute best for that football club. 

13 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I would smile if Cotterill has applied. 

He has

18 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

No, because they were underdogs in this division. Cship and L2 are seriously chalk and cheese as well. 

Wigan is one thing, us a very different number, for me. I really don't think he's a great fit for our owners.

Similar to Cotterill, and I'd be surprised if SL went down that route again. In fact, why not get Cotterill back in? Took Burnley to mid table and arguably recruited much of their promotion winning side from this division?

Interesting point. Often wondered about this in football. The Ferguson Warnock Clough to Ancelotti Wenger Klopp axis.

or theory x and y as it’s commonly known

You can get away with x theory if you are a name (Gerrard) / have a track record (Mourinho) / ditch the first team for the kids (Ferguson) / are bigger than the club Etc. Otherwise you have to actually manage people well

With Cook and the talent we want to have he would need to be Y style but you are saying he is old Skool X style and that could be a problem

32 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I totally agree @Kid in the Riot there are real expectations now that SL has come out unequivocally and stated his desire, with no room for doubt.

He is hardly a stupid man and by making that statement he has set the level.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes, I have pal. I'm admitting basket case probably wasn't the right term whilst acknowledging that all the clubs he has managed thus far have had nothing like the expectation that is at Bristol City right now. 

Agreed? Or not?

Agreed - but I don’t agree with your hysterical post that stated “every club Cook has managed, without exception has been a basket case” - that was was totally incorrect and inaccurate - agreed? Or not?

I have a feeling that Cook will get the job. He seems similar to Gary Johnson in that he is an experienced manager with unfashionable teams who usually gets them to punch above their weight. We all know how enamoured SL was with Gary Johnson and out of the candidates known to be in the running for the position he seems the most Johnsonesque.

I've already put a bet on Cook's son to manage City at some point in the 2030s at 4,000,000 - 1.

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Agreed - but I don’t agree with your hysterical post that stated “every club Cook has managed, without exception has been a basket case” - that was was totally incorrect and inaccurate - agreed? Or not?

Jeez calm down buddy. Sorry if my post offended you. It's semantics really 

10 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I totally agree @Kid in the Riot there are real expectations now that SL has come out unequivocally and stated his desire, with no room for doubt.

He is hardly a stupid man and by making that statement he has set the level.

But at the same time I don’t want SL and the board appointing a big name just because he has to back up what he said. 

Whoever the man is, I want him right for us. 

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'm quite close to Pompey, part of why I have some reservations over Cook. I can assure you that just because they were supporter owned by that point didn't mean everything was rosey down at Fratton Park, far from it. 

I'm willing to accept that they weren't in a bad place in terms of challenging for promotion in L2 but given what Pompey had been through in the preceding years, expectation was low, even in the basement division. 

That said, he did the job of getting them up in the end. So fair play. But we, in the Cship are evidently an entirely different kettle of fish!

I agree they had fallen on hard times in previous years, but filling Fratton Park with 18,000 every week in League 2, the expectation amongst fans was certainly that they should get promoted. Many of their fans were losing patience with him but they turned it on in the last few months and pinched the title in the last half an hour of the season. 

Anyhow, as I’ve said before, he’s a hugely ambitious bloke, who has always spotted the right time to jump to his next step. 

8 hours ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

1_JMP_Bristol_City_v_Walsall_189JPG.jpg.8707f87c95c1892408ea709ff2621bfb.jpg

What a man.

If they appoint Holden (I still think that is unlikely) & someone did a fans poll on here on the preference on him coming back or Holden being appointed, the result would be brutal.

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

If they appoint Holden (I still think that is unlikely) & someone did a fans poll on here on the preference on him coming back or Holden being appointed, the result would be brutal.

A Cotts return, eh? One way or another that would be fireworks! Very entertaining!

However, whilst that is not going to happen I'd find Cotts returning considerably more encouraging than appointing Dean Holden.

23 minutes ago, Leveller said:

It now seems widely accepted that Karanka is going to Birmingham. If that was Cook’s preferred job, it seems odd for him to have just resigned. 

There is a suggestion that he was ready to quit anyway due to the situation at Wigan, but on the face of it you'd expect him to have something lined up.

Archived