IGNORED

Paul Cook

BCFC1512

9 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I would think so. They won’t have a squad by the end of August the rate they’re selling at. Jumping off a sinking ship there

He seem a strong favourite for Burnley it Dyche leaves , maybe getting ready for that ?

1 minute ago, cider hoss rules said:

Put your tin hat on son, you’re now going to be bombarded with people saying we should get top two places!

We need too many new additions for top 2 but I hope I am proven wrong! Play offs feel like a realistic aim for next season. 

Some of the candidates we have been linked with I would worry we could do down with to be honest. So we could do a lot worse than Cook.

Personally I would take mid table if we were playing good to watch attacking football but think I am very much in the minority there! 

51 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

Would he resign if he didn't have a job already lined up?

Would the administrators allow him to leave with no confirmed compo ?

They would normally try to squeeze every penny from every resource - just seems strange that they appear to be letting him go for nothing while under contract.

17 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

How underwhelming. 

A manager who has well over achieved with an average squad and played considerably more entertaining football than we have, despite us having a considerably stronger squad?

On that basis I’m more than happy to be underwhelmed.  

11 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Would the administrators allow him to leave with no confirmed compo ?

They would normally try to squeeze every penny from every resource - just seems strange that they appear to be letting him go for nothing while under contract.

They won’t have. There’s no way they’d be letting an asset go.

Im hoping that this means he’s incoming. 

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

A manager who has well over achieved with an average squad and played considerably more entertaining football than we have, despite us having a considerably stronger squad?

This! He only finished what 4 points behind us with a club that went into administration. 

He's done well everywhere he's been and the fact he's managed Portsmouth shows to me he can handle the pressure of our job. 

1 hour ago, Ron Swanson said:

Would he resign if he didn't have a job already lined up?

I haven’t looked into this but someone previously mentioned to me that he tends to resign out of principal rather than be sacked, he has chosen to leave the clubs he has departed from. Someone on here probably can confirm or rubbish my info.

I wouldn't be surprised if Paul Cook leaving is independent of us getting a new manager. Cook has a reputation for knowing when to jump ship to get a move higher up (which I admit could be to us) but I think he just recognises that Wigan is not where he wants to be next season. If you resign then suddenly every club knows you're available and he can have his pick of clubs that approach him. I still think Hughton is our no.1 choice.

The more i think about it, the more happy i would be with this appointment.

If the board want a yes man, then i don’t think they have got one. Seems a very straight talker, but perhaps Ashton wants someone who he can occasionally butt heads with to challenge himself, who knows.

Either way, i certainly don’t feel half as flat as i did about this on Wednesday.

This saga has dragged on for far too long & predictions have a habit of biting you on the arse but I think today’s events suggest that he will be our next “head coach”.

Those last 2 words are also probably the reason why it won’t be Hughton, because transfers are clearly not within the remit of the man in charge.

17 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

The more i think about it, the more happy i would be with this appointment.

If the board want a yes man, then i don’t think they have got one. Seems a very straight talker, but perhaps Ashton wants someone who he can occasionally butt heads with to challenge himself, who knows.

Either way, i certainly don’t feel half as flat as i did about this on Wednesday.

But but but I read on OTIB that the board will only appoint a cheap 'yes man' (Christ I hate that phrase with a passion), no one on here has any idea of the dynamic between the manager and the board yet everyone talks like they are a fly on the wall!

23 minutes ago, RedM said:

I haven’t looked into this but someone previously mentioned to me that he tends to resign out of principal rather than be sacked, he has chosen to leave the clubs he has departed from. Someone on here probably can confirm or rubbish my info.

He hasn’t been sacked from any club apart from his first job which was non league IIRC. He has always moved to a club in a better position from what I can see. Maybe not super loyal but if he moves on from us in 3 years without being sacked chances are we had a good 3 years. I would take that

54 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

We need too many new additions for top 2 but I hope I am proven wrong! Play offs feel like a realistic aim for next season. 

Some of the candidates we have been linked with I would worry we could do down with to be honest. So we could do a lot worse than Cook.

Personally I would take mid table if we were playing good to watch attacking football but think I am very much in the minority there! 

+1

35 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Fair comment. I was just so geared up for us to finally complete the jigsaw with a big name manager like Hughton that Paul Cook being appointed just feels to me uninspiring. 

Wigan are known to have a huge wage bill, part of their problem. It’s fair to assume that Cook would have been on a nice wedge so the administrators struggling to pay the wages will probably be glad to have him off that. They probably thought that they could collect some compo initially but letting him leave now suggests that there is nothing imminent for him in alternative employment 

Archived