IGNORED

Paul Cook

BCFC1512

11 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

But but but I read on OTIB that the board will only appoint a cheap 'yes man' (Christ I hate that phrase with a passion), no one on here has any idea of the dynamic between the manager and the board yet everyone talks like they are a fly on the wall!

All part of having a forum mate, would be a boring place without people having their own thoughts & opinions (right or wrong) but no one has any ideas as to what actually happens behind closed doors apart from hearsay & rumours.

4 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

Fair comment. I was just so geared up for us to finally complete the jigsaw with a big name manager like Hughton that Paul Cook being appointed just feels to me uninspiring. 

Don't get me wrong, Hughton is and remains my first pick, and I'm clinging on to the fact that we might still get him. 

But as time goes on, and it seems increasingly unlikely, I think we could do a lot worse than Cook. I'm not sure there's anyone else after Hughton I'd prefer, perhaps Neil, in terms of getting a team to punch above their weight, but I think the football would be a lot better under Cook.

1 hour ago, Ron Swanson said:

Would he resign if he didn't have a job already lined up?

He does

Watford!

:whistle:

1 minute ago, Mr Hankey said:

All part of having a forum mate, would be a boring place without people having their own thoughts & opinions (right or wrong) but no one has any ideas as to what actually happens behind closed doors apart from hearsay & rumours.

Indeed, that's fair. What I really hate is people making sweeping 'opinions' that are stated as fact, i.e. 'he's a yes man', 'he's a cheap option', when the reality is they haven't got the faintest idea about their relationship with the board or the finances involved etc. 

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Would the administrators allow him to leave with no confirmed compo ?

They would normally try to squeeze every penny from every resource - just seems strange that they appear to be letting him go for nothing while under contract.

⬇️

45 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

Think he may of paid up his contract himself 

Possibly advised to do so by his new club (presuming he's heading somewhere), and that he would get that plus a nice signing on bonus to hurry things along.

Administrators wouldn't let an asset walk away for nothing when they're out to get as much as they can to clear debts.

He could be on £3m a year, but if he's in demand, then no way would they say "oh do you know what, we'll let you go for nothing so we can write your wage off". They will be out for every penny they get, as everybody contracted to the club is an asset. They may as well just be a very expensive piece of furniture for all that it matters.

1 hour ago, MATT BCFC said:

We need too many new additions for top 2 but I hope I am proven wrong! Play offs feel like a realistic aim for next season. 

Some of the candidates we have been linked with I would worry we could do down with to be honest. So we could do a lot worse than Cook.

Personally I would take mid table if we were playing good to watch attacking football but think I am very much in the minority there! 

I can never understand this comment when it comes up.  

What would be your ambition for next season actually be then?  

Surely the play-off’s aren’t the ultimate aim, they are a means to try and get a shot at the Prem.  You’re at a massive disadvantage if you scrape into the Premier League through possibly finishing 6th in the Championship, as the chances are, you’ll struggle massively in the Prem, if you could only manage 6th in the Championship the previous year.

I’d rather we had a positive mindset and aimed for top 2, with the play-off’s being a fall back, not the ultimate aim.

I also think we could be surprised at how much better we could perform under the right head coach.  Paul Cook isn’t my first choice, but as many on here like to keep talking about progression.  Well, he seems to have managed that in pretty much every management job he’s had, so he could well have it in him to take us to where we want to go.

Wigan looked good when we played them at the Gate this year and if that’s the type of football we could expect under him, then bring it on!  I’m with you in that minority too Matt and I’d go for mid-table entertainment, over the mid-table yawn fest we suffered this year, any day ?

6 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

It took till January the 1st for them to win 5 games all season. Their fans were absolutely sick of their dull football. No doubt he has turned things round but is the last 4 months of football  enough to give him the job. 

I thought they signed some very good players in the summer and was a bit surprised that it took them so long to get going . 

18 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I don't understand, I thought he resigned a week or so ago, why the "big" news?

Last week the administrators wanted compensation for him leaving - so they must now have it from somewhere I assume, hence the announcement of his resignation.

5 minutes ago, daored said:

Wigan will probably have a new manager in place before us

If ( a bit if I know) Cook is our new manager then it would explain the delay in appointing him.

1 hour ago, BrizzleRed said:

Surely the play-off’s aren’t the ultimate aim, they are a means to try and get a shot at the Prem.  You’re at a massive disadvantage if you scrape into the Premier League through possibly finishing 6th in the Championship, as the chances are, you’ll struggle massively in the Prem, if you could only manage 6th in the Championship the previous year.

I’d rather we had a positive mindset and aimed for top 2, with the play-off’s being a fall back, not the ultimate aim.

I also think we could be surprised at how much better we could perform under the right head coach.  Paul Cook isn’t my first choice, but as many on here like to keep talking about progression.  Well, he seems to have managed that in pretty much every management job he’s had, so he could well have it in him to take us to where we want to go.

Wigan looked good when we played them at the Gate this year and if that’s the type of football we could expect under him, then bring it on!  I’m with you in that minority too Matt and I’d go for mid-table entertainment, over the mid-table yawn fest we suffered this year, any day ?

As the famous quote goes you should ‘Shoot for the Moon, even if you miss you will land amongst the stars’.

2 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

Don't be so negative. Champions or nothing else will do!

?

4 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Would the administrators allow him to leave with no confirmed compo ?

They would normally try to squeeze every penny from every resource - just seems strange that they appear to be letting him go for nothing while under contract.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

3 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Wigan are known to have a huge wage bill, part of their problem. It’s fair to assume that Cook would have been on a nice wedge so the administrators struggling to pay the wages will probably be glad to have him off that. They probably thought that they could collect some compo initially but letting him leave now suggests that there is nothing imminent for him in alternative employment 

It’s all a big unknown, and I think you could swing an argument any which way.  Administrators don’t tend to think like football owners, and in the main are looking to get as much money in / reduce costs to either get new owners or pay as many creditors as possible.  So things like player transfer fees have a tendency to be lower than market value because they want it done quickly.  Whether this applies to Cook, I just don’t know.

2 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

if it is Paul Cook who are his coaches at wigan does anyone know.

image.thumb.jpeg.b61185fd82732347fb47739afac065d9.jpegimage.thumb.png.affbaea75b9424a1e60b6c4395bd185e.png

2 minutes ago, RedNachos said:

Very likely a fake account. Hope I'm correct about this. Hughton > Cook.

"The latest football news and rumours brought to you by an esteemed group of ex-journalists and reporters."

2k followers..

And they posted it over 2 hours ago with no other outlet picking it up.

Archived