IGNORED

Paul Cook

BCFC1512

38 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

Promotions in leagues below ours in comparison to a man who has managed to achieve 2 promotions out of this league? I'm failing to see the hype. 

Can only win what league he’s in. Good job for Sheffield Utd they didn’t think like that about Chris wilder. 

22 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

I can never understand this comment when it comes up.  

What would be your ambition for next season actually be then?  

Surely the play-off’s aren’t the ultimate aim, they are a means to try and get a shot at the Prem.  You’re at a massive disadvantage if you scrape into the Premier League through possibly finishing 6th in the Championship, as the chances are, you’ll struggle massively in the Prem, if you could only manage 6th in the Championship the previous year.

I’d rather we had a positive mindset and aimed for top 2, with the play-off’s being a fall back, not the ultimate aim.

I also think we could be surprised at how much better we could perform under the right head coach.  Paul Cook isn’t my first choice, but as many on here like to keep talking about progression.  Well, he seems to have managed that in pretty much every management job he’s had, so he could well have it in him to take us to where we want to go.

Wigan looked good when we played them at the Gate this year and if that’s the type of football we could expect under him, then bring it on!  I’m with you in that minority too Matt and I’d go for mid-table entertainment, over the mid-table yawn fest we suffered this year, any day ?

I would say that it normally takes 2-3 season's to build a team ready for the prem. You go for playoffs first season because it's just unrealistic to expect top 2 I think especially with a shorter summer period. 

If you happen to win playoffs and go up then because of parachute payments even if you go straight back to the club is in a much better position provided you don't spend recklessly which I don't think we would.

27 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

I would say that it normally takes 2-3 season's to build a team ready for the prem. You go for playoffs first season because it's just unrealistic to expect top 2 I think especially with a shorter summer period. 

If you happen to win playoffs and go up then because of parachute payments even if you go straight back to the club is in a much better position provided you don't spend recklessly which I don't think we would.

I get that Matt, but if we believe what we’re told, that player recruitment is largely carried out by Mark Ashton, we’re already well past that timescale of 2-3 years.

Either our last head coach couldn’t get the best of our squad of players, or after a good number of years and many millions spent, the squad just wasn’t good enough.  If it was the latter, the same problem remains (MA) and leads you to question whether he will ever get it right.

Our whole ‘project’ was supposedly based on maintaining continuity and not having to rebuild the squad after a head coach leaves.  

If we do require a rebuild now, I think some serious questions need to be answered by our recruitment team, particularly MA.

19 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

I get that Matt, but if we believe what we’re told, that player recruitment is largely carried out by Mark Ashton, we’re already well past that timescale of 2-3 years.

Either our last head coach couldn’t get the best of our squad of players, or after a good number of years and many millions spent, the squad just wasn’t good enough.  If it was the latter, the same problem remains (MA) and leads you to question whether he will ever get it right.

Our whole ‘project’ was supposedly based on maintaining continuity and not having to rebuild the squad after a head coach leaves.  

If we do require a rebuild now, I think some serious questions need to be answered by our recruitment team, particularly MA.

I don't think we should have to rebuild. Currently we probably need a new centre half, central midfielder and right back. 

I do think if new manager fails however then serious questions need to be answered by MA.

I just hope the new manager and MA are both in agreement what style we want to play and agree on the type of players we want. 

46 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

I don't think we should have to rebuild. Currently we probably need a new centre half, central midfielder and right back. 

I do think if new manager fails however then serious questions need to be answered by MA.

I just hope the new manager and MA are both in agreement what style we want to play and agree on the type of players we want. 

Agree with all that.  Your last paragraph is crucial and and apart from that period in late ‘17 when we went for the high tempo, high press game, we just didn’t have style under LJ, so it’ll be refreshing if our new HC can actually instill some style into our play, rather than the muddled mess we’ve become used to.

Here’s hoping!

Archived