IGNORED

Paul Cook

BCFC1512

Just now, Hampshire reds said:

paul cook and Holden would be a good match with a new face to replace jamie.

Why replace Jamie and not Holden? Have I missed something?  as there seems to be a bit of a love in for DH.He was part of the problem not the solution. He was part of the coaching team that produced some of the most dull football I've sesn in years. A team that after four years had no philosophy nor a back bone. If it is Cook (which I think is an average appointment) he should get to bring in his own staff.

I am somewhat surprised if its Paul Cook as he strikes me more of a Steve Cotterill type than a Lee Johnson that I guessed the club were after. I would be glad that the club have this sorted before pre-season begins and if PC starts off well then I don't think people would mind that its taken this long.

9 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

How does that look morally? They are in a shit position financially due to a crooked owner. Any money we should have paid wouldn't have gone to him but the administrators? Hardly a gesture of good faith is it.

Business is business, there isn't a club in this league that hasn't suffered financially due to the current situation, their situation may be different and worse but I doubt any other club would have been as generous as you are suggesting.

33 minutes ago, Nuno Gomez said:

In your opinion.

Absolutely. But in fairness not a lot of what’s posted on OTIB is fact. 

Paul Cook has won every league he’s managed in, barring the championship in which he pretty much managed as good a place as we did last season but with a basket case of a club who are widely regarded as minnows. Imagine what he could do with the right resources. 

Why wouldn’t we want that?

49 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Paul Cook has won every league he’s managed in, barring the championship in which he pretty much managed as good a place as we did last season but with a basket case of a club who are widely regarded as minnows. Imagine what he could do with the right resources. 

This is how I view it too. He's got 3 league titles with 3 different clubs, and also finished in the playoff places a few times. He also now has experience managing in the championship. Seems like a good CV to me.

I'd much rather have Cook who left Bolton due to their circumstances rather than being sacked for doing a crap job, than have Holden who doesn't have the experience and is as dull as they come

Holden would likely tow the line and be a YES man for MA though so he has that going for him!

7 minutes ago, AshtonG666 said:

I'd much rather have Cook who left Bolton due to their circumstances rather than being sacked for doing a crap job, than have Holden who doesn't have the experience and is as dull as they come

Holden would likely tow the line and be a YES man for MA though so he has that going for him!

Never knew he was ever at Bolton.

When was that then ?

8 minutes ago, AshtonG666 said:

Wigan

1 hour ago, YGBjammy said:

This is how I view it too. He's got 3 league titles with 3 different clubs, and also finished in the playoff places a few times. He also now has experience managing in the championship. Seems like a good CV to me.

Definitely. I also think he is used to punching above his weight with clubs that aren't necessarily the richest or strongest in the division and has shown the ability to use limited resources well. For me, his is the outstanding CV for what we need. I'll support another manager if they get it it but Cook is the manager I want. 

21 minutes ago, AshtonG666 said:

To be honest, i suspect that being a yes man is high on the list of priorities. 
im no fan of johnson, but he constantly had to deal with having is best players sold out from underneath him. We would have been stronger with webster kelly and brownhill in the squad last year.

1 minute ago, Simon bristol said:

im no fan of johnson, but he constantly had to deal with having is best players sold out from underneath him. We would have been stronger with webster kelly and brownhill in the squad last year.

In common with a lot of teams we have to sell.

But you reap what you sow - the club (and supporters) shouldn't expect top 6 or promotion if we have to sell our best players or they want to leave because we aren't competing at the top end. Just don't say we are aiming for promotion and expect at least the top six. It doesn't make sense and just ramps up supporter expectation.

8 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

I hate that phrase, having someone who agrees with the way the business is structured and works within that structure shouldn’t be dismissed as a “yes man”. Anyway in Johnson’s case there were people on here who read into his interviews that he was upset with the sale of Brownhill, and that he had made less than positive comments about our transfer activity at points throughout last summer.

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

because as you said, he's not won the Championship, he's not gained promotion from the Championship. Plenty of managers look good in L1 & L2 and can't make that jump up

1 minute ago, Spike said:

because as you said, he's not won the Championship, he's not gained promotion from the Championship. Plenty of managers look good in L1 & L2 and can't make that jump up

Nor had Hughton before someone gave him the chance.

23 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Why are we always the club to ‘give people a chance’.. we have done enough of that in our history. Now is not the time - we desperately need some experience.

6 minutes ago, bris red said:

Why are we always the club to ‘give people a chance’.. we have done enough of that in our history. Now is not the time - we desperately need some experience.

Oh I don't disagree.

But if we are not going to get someone who has delivered promotion to the PL before, and it doesn't sound like we are, then I think Cook's CV is among the next best.

Perhaps we have offered the job to Cook, but there is a dispute with Wigan’s administrators regarding compensation ( due to his resignation)  and can’t announce the appointment until a financial deal is agreed with them.

4 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Perhaps we have offered the job to Cook, but there is a dispute with Wigan’s administrators regarding compensation ( due to his resignation)  and can’t announce the appointment until a financial deal is agreed with them.

It's the one explanation for the delay that makes sense. 

39 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Not disputing this but he has now and he therefore has that experience.
How many up and coming managers have we had from L1 and L2 and then how many managers have we had with a 100% top 6 Championship finish record and 75% promotion have we had. Comparing Hughton and Cook is pointless, Hughton is a far superior choice, the only reason not to chose Hughton over Cook is financial and his desire to take the job. If Hughton is willing to do the job the board should be looking to make it happen at all costs.

8 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Perhaps this is the case with one of the 'unknown' candidates.

13 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I reckon we're putting all candidates through Ninja Warrior and Cook is trying to beat the wall..

28 minutes ago, bris red said:

We gave Alan Dicks his chance and he turned out to be our best manager ever

17 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Wish this is true, however wouldn’t of this slipped through to the media by now??

Archived