IGNORED

Paul Cook

BCFC1512

17 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Perhaps we have offered the job to Cook, but there is a dispute with Wigan’s administrators regarding compensation ( due to his resignation)  and can’t announce the appointment until a financial deal is agreed with them.

This makes sense, good thinking Downend?

4 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

We gave Alan Dicks his chance and he turned out to be our best manager ever

It was 40 years ago and he won nothing, despite being our most successful manager. Ambition needs to be matched with resource and experience, the last 40  years of mediocrity and yo-yo to league 1 has proven that.

7 minutes ago, shepton red said:

It was 40 years ago and he won nothing, despite being our most successful manager. Ambition needs to be matched with resource and experience, the last 40  years of mediocrity and yo-yo to league 1 has proven that.

He won promotion to Div 1 (ie Prem as was), the last manager to do so, and kept us up for 4 seasons. Also won Anglo-Scottish cup and took us to 2 League Cup semis. Nobody else has come close

36 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Perhaps we have offered the job to Cook, but there is a dispute with Wigan’s administrators regarding compensation ( due to his resignation)  and can’t announce the appointment until a financial deal is agreed with them.

I thought he resigned from Wigan, which meant they would not get compensation, provided he didn’t leave for another job immediately. He’s alleged to have said he didn’t have another job lined up. So we could be leaving it some time, to argue that we only decided to appoint him after he resigned.

37 minutes ago, Spike said:

Not disputing this but he has now and he therefore has that experience.
How many up and coming managers have we had from L1 and L2 and then how many managers have we had with a 100% top 6 Championship finish record and 75% promotion have we had. Comparing Hughton and Cook is pointless, Hughton is a far superior choice, the only reason not to chose Hughton over Cook is financial and his desire to take the job. If Hughton is willing to do the job the board should be looking to make it happen at all costs.

As I said, I don't disagree.

I sincerely hope MacGregors sources are off the mark, LJ, JM and DH were all the same management team, a real chance to do something.... down the pan. If, and I repeat, IF, DH happens.   I suppose many will say, give him a chance.  Not me I am afraid. 

With Covid and the chance of seeing a live game pretty remote until 2021 I know what I will be asking for from the club re my season ticket. The robins TV is abject and I simply cannot abide football without spectators, soulless.  DH would finish me off. ?

3 hours ago, shepton red said:

Hmmm. 

Perhaps you are correct technically, but to say 'He won nothing' is somewhat disparaging of Alan Dicks reign at Ashton Gate: Leeds and promotion to Division One wasn't bad, even if he never actually 'won nothing'.

19 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

I sincerely hope MacGregors sources are off the mark, LJ, JM and DH were all the same management team, a real chance to do something.... down the pan. If, and I repeat, IF, DH happens.   I suppose many will say, give him a chance.  Not me I am afraid. 

With Covid and the chance of seeing a live game pretty remote until 2021 I know what I will be asking for from the club re my season ticket. The robins TV is abject and I simply cannot abide football without spectators, soulless.  DH would finish me off. ?

Me too and they better not much around about refunds. 
surely if the first game doesn’t happen with a crowd that’s breach of contract and we can have our money back? 

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Apologies if already mentioned elsewhere but Gregor has just ruled out Cook.

Thanks for sharing. That surprises me because he seemed like an obvious candidate that could be "waiting by the phone". 

Besides Hughton, who else could be in the frame at this late stage?!

8 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Could well be. I'm all for a thorough process, but it is now ridiculous. Maybe that came across in discussions.

Whoever the next appointment is there is no doubt that the decision makers have dithered over making it. A club with a firm plan really shouldn’t be taking the best part of 5 weeks to appoint a manager, with sound bites seemingly released through local media to gauge opinion, given the special time constraints in place between last season and the next. The whole situation smacks of a club being indecisive and literally operating on the fly.

Archived