IGNORED

Paul Cook

BCFC1512

34 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Apologies if already mentioned elsewhere but Gregor has just ruled out Cook.

Someone has just queried GMG on this, because he's effectively saying Cook was interviewed and THEN decided to take a break from the game.

If that is true, it would be the most shocking indictment for the people who run our club - whether how they interview or the structure they want.

I won't hide the fact Paul Cook was my number one choice, but to go for an interview and then say "no, not for me", is pretty embarrassing to me.

Sick of the pillars TBH, it's all window dressing to protect the cosy owner/CEO desire for control. Another manager who prefers no job to their job.

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Whoever the next appointment is there is no doubt that the decision makers have dithered over making it. A club with a firm plan really shouldn’t be taking the best part of 5 weeks to appoint a manager, with sound bites seemingly released through local media to gauge opinion, given the special time constraints in place between last season and the next. The whole situation smacks of a club being indecisive and literally operating on the fly.

Or a club in control and undertaking due diligence where respect is required around existing contracts  

Whoever the next appointment is there is no doubt that the decision makers have dithered over making it. A club with a firm plan really shouldn’t be taking the best part of 5 weeks to appoint a manager, with sound bites seemingly released through local media to gauge opinion, given the special time constraints in place between last season and the next. The whole situation smacks of a club being indecisive and literally operating on the fly.

I think they've interviewed several, and the interviewers all think it should be somebody different, and can't make a decision!

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Never was going to be Cook but was funny reading this thread when it was announced he was leaving Wigan. 

Personally relieved it's not Cook. 

What makes you say it was never going to be Cook? Easy to say that now when it's basically confirmed he's not going to get it.

MacGregor confirmed he was interviewed so I don't really understand how those statements line up.

4 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

What makes you say it was never going to be Cook? Easy to say that now when it's basically confirmed he's not going to get it.

MacGregor confirmed he was interviewed so I don't really understand how those statements line up.

Can't blame the bloke for wanting to take a break from football after being interviewed by Mark Ashton and Jon Lansdown. 

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I still fancy Hughton but am obviously concerned about the recent Holden revelations!! 

But I'll stick with what I've been told all along, Hughts. Fingers crossed. 

Fella if Hughton gets the role I'll take you for a 20 mile run to celebrate.

#OTIBrunners

25 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Saw us up close and didn’t like what he saw perhaps?

I don’t think many will like the setup we have. Mark Ashton has far too much control and tbh i think your Cook’s and Hughton’s will not fancy it. I certainly wouldn’t want to work underneath Ashton - the bloke doesn’t come across well at all.

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I still fancy Hughton but am obviously concerned about the recent Holden revelations!! 

I hope your thoughts prove to be correct. But as a lifelong supporter of Bristol "We snatch defeat from the jaws of victory"City FC, I would expect it to be Dean Holden.

The cheap option from within - how many more times at Manager/Head Coach level?  If it is him, I hope he uses the Academy boys instead of expensive loans in from Premier League clubs while lending a whole under 23 side to leagues One & Two.

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

I hope your thoughts prove to be correct. But as a lifelong supporter of Bristol "We snatch defeat from the jaws of victory"City FC, I would expect it to be Dean Holden.

The cheap option from within - how many more times at Manager/Head Coach level?  If it is him, I hope he uses the Academy boys instead of expensive loans in from Premier League clubs while lending a whole under 23 side to leagues One & Two.

Well said 

7 minutes ago, City oz said:

Or a club in control and undertaking due diligence where respect is required around existing contracts  

A club in control should not need the best part of five weeks to carry out due diligence and narrow a list down to one candidate who is out of work and another who is in work for the club itself. Not only that but we are told by the local journalist that they are “leaning” towards one and not ruling out the other!!

Both of these people were known and available on Day 1!! If the job was in MI5 that would be a reasonable timescale, however we are talking about appointing a football manager.

Not only that, if the local rag is correct and we are going down the young players and no spending money route then one of those final candidates will almost certainly rule himself out anyway.

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Never was going to be Cook but was funny reading this thread when it was announced he was leaving Wigan. 

Personally relieved it's not Cook. 

Was it also funny reading the responses on the Hughton thread after telling everyone it was just dotting the i's and crossing the t's ?

A club in control should not need the best part of five weeks to carry out due diligence and narrow a list down to one candidate who is out of work and another who is in work for the club itself. Not only that but we are told by the local journalist that they are “leaning” towards one and not ruling out the other!!

Both of these people were known and available on Day 1!! If the job was in MI5 that would be a reasonable timescale, however we are talking about appointing a football manager.

Not only that, if the local rag is correct and we are going down the young players and no spending money route then one of those final candidates will almost certainly rule himself out anyway.

Local rag, MI5. Wow. Please don’t rely on gossip mate or you’ll go blind if that’s what floats your boat.

6 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I would strap yourself in for a relegation battle then. A Holden lead Bristol City with lots of inexperienced academy players and we shall be in for a tough tough season.

Unfortunately it was always going to be a cheap option in the current climate to promote from within. I just wish the club could admit for once they only have the desire for championship football  which is ok if the entertainment value exists and playing standards are maintained.  Selling to stand still with little ambition to progress up to the prem means they have stagnated this year. Hopefully we will not be getting a repeat of previous no2 appointments and face a religation battle come Christmas. 

17 minutes ago, RedM said:

Thought it was Howe who is having time away from football?

Never mind Cook and Howe feeling they need a break from football, after this shambles, I need a break from football. I might start watching The Mickey Mouse Club on children’s TV. 

26 minutes ago, Olé said:

Someone has just queried GMG on this, because he's effectively saying Cook was interviewed and THEN decided to take a break from the game.

If that is true, it would be the most shocking indictment for the people who run our club - whether how they interview or the structure they want.

I won't hide the fact Paul Cook was my number one choice, but to go for an interview and then say "no, not for me", is pretty embarrassing to me.

Sick of the pillars TBH, it's all window dressing to protect the cosy owner/CEO desire for control. Another manager who prefers no job to their job.

Yep, in a nutshell.

19 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Fulham job out of the way.  Could be some serious discussions going on to repair damage in interview.  Or else Holden it is.

1 minute ago, pongo88 said:

Never mind Cook and Howe feeling they need a break from football, after this shambles, I need a break from football. I might start watching The Mickey Mouse Club on children’s TV. 

You've had a break from football. Last couple of months of Lee Johnson's management.

2 minutes ago, City oz said:

Local rag, MI5. Wow. Please don’t rely on gossip mate or you’ll go blind if that’s what floats your boat.

Not sure what point you are making. The club knew on the day they sacked Johnson what the timescales were leading into next season. It should be clear to anyone that they had to act faster than normal. They either haven’t acted fast enough or they cannot decide, either way they have made next season more difficult than it needed to be......whoever ends up with the job.

19 minutes ago, bris red said:

I don’t think many will like the setup we have. Mark Ashton has far too much control and tbh i think your Cook’s and Hughton’s will not fancy it. I certainly wouldn’t want to work underneath Ashton - the bloke doesn’t come across well at all.

ricky gervais lady gypsy GIF by eOneFilms

34 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I hope you're sources are as reliable as they often have been ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Archived