IGNORED

Paul Cook

BCFC1512

6 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I think there is more than remote proof if we hire someone who has already done it .....

Have you done the stats on how many managers promoted from the Championship have done it before? Have you worked out the ratios and found a correlation between number of Championship games managed and likelihood of promotion? Have you corrected for the fact that managers who've done it before tend to be employed by clubs with bigger budgets and so start off with an advantage? Seriously, because I can't be arsed to do it so if you've got the figures to back up the claim it would be great.

2 minutes ago, TomF said:

50 pages by 8am tomorrow, minimum 

I know you and the Mods might disagree, but I love that we have such an active forum.

3 minutes ago, bris red said:

The perfect cheap option. Obviously we dont know what is happening/happened to Hughton but nobody can tell me Paul Cook is who the board wanted when sacking LJ. Id rather us go for somebody foreign than Paul Cook.

Why all this sniping about cheap options?  Whatever you think of Steve Lansdown, surely you can’t believe he would make a rubbish appointment just to save a few quid?

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Why all this sniping about cheap options?  Whatever you think of Steve Lansdown, surely you can’t believe he would make a rubbish appointment just to save a few quid?

If we go for a CH type, we are going to be paying northwards of £20k pw, PC is going to be half that. At the same time, the board can still point to his success, albeit at a lower level, over the past few seasons. It's not necessarily characterising it as a rubbish appointment, but there's no denying that he would be remunerated a lot less than Gerrard, Hughton etc. 

6 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Hughton would be the "cheap" option because he is unemployed,

Cook wouldn't be as he is in a job we would have to pay a fee

1 minute ago, GlastonburyRed said:

If we go for a CH type, we are going to be paying northwards of £20k pw, PC is going to be half that. At the same time, the board can still point to his success, albeit at a lower level, over the past few seasons. It's not necessarily characterising it as a rubbish appointment, but there's no denying that he would be remunerated a lot less than Gerrard, Hughton etc. 

Exactly this. Its the cheaper option - lets not try and dress it up to be anything else.

We also haven't appointed anyone we now know 2 people from a 4/8 person shortlist, 

Cant we just wait and see, then give them a chance,

If we would of appointed wilder instead of him going to Sheffield United this forum would have the same reaction as the bed wetters are 

Okay, so according to Gregor and James at the BP, both Hughton and Cook have been interviewed.  I believe they have good sources on this recruitment effort.

If Cook gets it, could it just be that against a set range of criteria in that interview, Cook met more of them than Hughton.

Maybe Cook was better prepared to sell his fit with a City, MA, SL, than Hughton, having played against them twice this season, prepared for those games too....and is closer to the division.

Maybe Cook said, I can sign today, maybe Hughton’s said he’s waiting for Watford?

We don’t know.

I don’t get “it’s a cheap option”.  It isn’t a cheap option as there will be compensation due....unless he’s not been paid by Wigan and he can quit with no comebacks.

I think a lot of people are just looking at Cook’s profile v Hughton’s profile and feeling underwhelmed.  But I think you need to look deeper.

Hughton was my no1, Cook my no2, but I am more excited by Cook.

7 minutes ago, bris red said:

Exactly this. Its the cheaper option - lets not try and dress it up to be anything else.

Well, almost inevitably if you choose between two candidates, one is likely to be cheaper than the other.  However, the cheaper candidate may be the better candidate.  The repetition of ‘cheap option’ suggests that what matters most to Lansdown is saving money and I don’t buy that.

17 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

We also haven't appointed anyone we now know 2 people from a 4/8 person shortlist, 

Cant we just wait and see, then give them a chance,

If we would of appointed wilder instead of him going to Sheffield United this forum would have the same reaction as the bed wetters are 

Ignore, mis-read the quotation.

Just now, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Well, almost inevitably if you choose between two candidates, one is likely to be cheaper than the other.  However, the cheaper candidate may be the better candidate.  The repetition of ‘cheap option’ suggests that what matters most to Lansdown is saving money and I don’t buy that.

I think comparing Cook & Hughton financially, they are almost in two different worlds - Cook was managing Chesterfield five years ago. Hughton has been in and around the Premier League for a long time. In that sense of course Cook would be on a vastly lesser wage than Hughton would demand. However, as pointed out, the disparity in wages doesn't necessarily equate to a disparity in performance going forwards (although there has got to be some correlation, think Bielsa, and why any manager demands a higher wage than others). It's now becoming clear, as many on here suspected, that SL isn't going to risk the long-term stability of the club by going after a Hughton or Gerrard at any cost. I respect that, but also find that frustrating from the pure viewpoint of a fan who wants the club to match my ambitions, e.g. to get to the top flight asap. I think now, more than ever, LJ had built that platform where we really are good to launch that challenge. I'd argue that CH would be the perfect fit, from a fan's perspective, to take us on to that next step; having done the very same previously. I also don't buy the point that at 61 he is over the hill or looking for one last pay day - 61 is no age these days. It may be that PC will take us to the promised land, but I just can't help but feel that SL, if he does appoint PC, is just holding back on that promotion dream.

[I hope this post ages badly and I am forced to eat my words.] 

13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Wigan fan tells me on Twitter 'it isn't always pretty on the eye. But we are known to play good stuff at times.' 

Doesn't sound like what i want. Actually sounds a bit like LJ football of the last couple of seasons. As we clearly played some good football at times but could be pretty ugly football too most of the time.

Maybe best to form your own opinion, watch some video from their matches.  If you still feel that way, then fine....but make your own judgement.

https://wiganathletic.com/videos/

They are a big side (saw your twitter post), but that’s not to say they don’t pass it either.  They play a nice tempo.

20 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Not sure about rubbish. The dial seems to be pointing towards adequate and value for money and a bit less towards success. I think Paul Cook would have been good at the time of Lee Johnsons appointment. I have to ask though, if we can't attract and appoint better than Paul Cook now, what have we been doing?

I'd be happy with Cook as he was in my personal top 3 from the start but I always thought he wouldn't be polished or statesmanlike enough for the Bristol Sport brand (I know, horrible word) and perhaps a little abrasive. 

I'm genuinely intrigued to see what he can do with what must be the most talented squad he will of had at his disposal throughout his career plus presumably he'll have a budget which will be bigger than he's used to having (this is an assumption so I could be wrong)

He strikes me as an honest guy who would grab the opportunity with both hands and give it his all.  That's good enough for me as a starting point when combined with a respectable track record, albeit not at the top end of the Championship.  

I think this looks like a very realistic appointment although it's obviously fairly divisive as its far from the sexy bigger name appointment many are obviously craving. 

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Okay, so according to Gregor and James at the BP, both Hughton and Cook have been interviewed.  I believe they have good sources on this recruitment effort.

If Cook gets it, could it just be that against a set range of criteria in that interview, Cook met more of them than Hughton.

Maybe Cook was better prepared to sell his fit with a City, MA, SL, than Hughton, having played against them twice this season, prepared for those games too....and is closer to the division.

Maybe Cook said, I can sign today, maybe Hughton’s said he’s waiting for Watford?

We don’t know.

I don’t get “it’s a cheap option”.  It isn’t a cheap option as there will be compensation due....unless he’s not been paid by Wigan and he can quit with no comebacks.

I think a lot of people are just looking at Cook’s profile v Hughton’s profile and feeling underwhelmed.  But I think you need to look deeper.

Hughton was my no1, Cook my no2, but I am more excited by Cook.

Maybe Cook will go to Birmingham and we will miss out on Hughton and Cook. The longer this goes on the more chances to lose possible candidates. That don't have to face a process that had taken over a month and counting.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Looking at how he seems to like to set up, he doesn't seem to ever use 2 strikers at Wigan.

That would suit Wells. Get him up top on his own and one of Palmer, Pato or Szmodics in behind.

Yep, “Mr 4231” in the vast majority of games, based on a athletic, pacy team in the main.  Lowe on the left is not a winger, more a wide forward, Naismith on right more of a Darren Anderson type wide man.

Archived