IGNORED

Paul Cook

BCFC1512

8 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Said Pompey fan would find himself in an extreme minority of Pompey fans. They love him. 

Most seem quite bitter that he left in the way that he did.

”Only Steve Bruce can out Paul Cook Paul Cook” was one comment I saw, along with several along the lines of “what a surprise, leaving another club he loves.”

A few concerns there for me, as he hasn’t spent too long anywhere. Maybe he’s waiting for a stable club, Pompey have been anything but for a while and we all know the Wigan story.

12 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Said Pompey fan would find himself in an extreme minority of Pompey fans. They love him. 

With your midlands background - is the thought he’s more likely to accept the Birmingham job over us if offered both?

We don’t know if PC is going to be hired yet and some are writing him off before he even gets the job. 

I assumed we’d be aiming for proven top level experience after LJ but more I learn about PC the more it makes sense & the more I warm to the idea.

We may have offered to CH who rejected it & here we are at plan B options.

4 minutes ago, daored said:

With your midlands background - is the thought he’s more likely to accept the Birmingham job over us if offered both?

I have a few Birmingham supporter friends who were sure they had Karanka lined up but then I saw the news earlier that they had failed to reach an agreement so, if that is true, maybe they are in for Cook also. ?‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

I've woken up this morning feeling properly deflated by this and I can't tell you why.

Maybe it's because I've always thought that Chris Hughton would be the perfect manager for the club, even before LJ was hired. We are a project similar to Brighton.

Paul Cook is, well, Paul Cook. I mean, maybe it's because I don't know too much about him, but after watching a few interviews, I just don't get a good feeling about him. 

To me, he is literally the complete opposite to LJ. He oozes "pub team manager", which is really unfair.

I just get fedup with us being ******* average Bristol City. Sleeping giant. Always the ******* bridesmaid.  Why did Mark Ashton come on Robins TV, waving his Tiny Pulis about, telling all who would listen that we've had hundreds of applications, some international and making out their was some real exciting prospects, to then sign Paul ******* Cook. I mean, it's hardly inspiring is it. I thought we'd progressed. I really honestly thought we'd pull in a Championship top class manager. 

I really, really hope this post bites me in the ass, I'd love it, but so fedup if this happens. 

He hasn’t got the job mate, he’s been interviewed, he’s apparently resigning as manager of Wigan , maybe to come here, maybe to Birmingham, maybe he wants a break from the game.

There are a lot of unknowns , people are putting 2+ 2 and deciding he’s coming here - time will tell 

Paul Cook just doesn't strike me as the right fit for City. His personality seems a much better fit for Birmingham. Reading their forum it appears that he would prefer a move there as well due to being in closer proximity to family and friends. Now Karanka is no longer in the running too and Cook is about to leave Wigan I honestly think he's off to Birmingham today and not us.

3 minutes ago, daored said:

He hasn’t got the job mate, he’s been interviewed, he’s apparently resigning as manager of Wigan , maybe to come here, maybe to Birmingham, maybe he wants a break from the game.

There are a lot of unknowns , people are putting 2+ 2 and deciding he’s coming here - time will tell 

Agree with this but you'd have to think that Hughton and Cook are two of the people we're speaking to. For me, Cook would be pretty uninspiring, despite his previous successes and just had a text from my mate who said the same thing regarding him becoming the Birmingham manager.

I'd actually be quite happy with Cook. 

Unlike @Badger08above, I actually prefer that sort of straight talking character to one that talks shit most of the time. 

Advantage that he's just been managing in the division, knows how sides play & will have targets in mind already. 

He may be able to tempt some of his Wigan squad to come with him, certainly a few there that would improve our squad. 

This may sound stupid, but I just don't see the club hiring a manager anything like him, I think they'd be after more of a suit and tie manager as opposed to a tracksuit one. 

8 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

I've woken up this morning feeling properly deflated by this and I can't tell you why.

Maybe it's because I've always thought that Chris Hughton would be the perfect manager for the club, even before LJ was hired. We are a project similar to Brighton.

Paul Cook is, well, Paul Cook. I mean, maybe it's because I don't know too much about him, but after watching a few interviews, I just don't get a good feeling about him. 

To me, he is literally the complete opposite to LJ. He oozes "pub team manager", which is really unfair.

I just get fedup with us being ******* average Bristol City. Sleeping giant. Always the ******* bridesmaid.  Why did Mark Ashton come on Robins TV, waving his Tiny Pulis about, telling all who would listen that we've had hundreds of applications, some international and making out their was some real exciting prospects, to then sign Paul ******* Cook. I mean, it's hardly inspiring is it. I thought we'd progressed. I really honestly thought we'd pull in a Championship top class manager. 

I really, really hope this post bites me in the ass, I'd love it, but so fedup if this happens. 

Great post Badger. I have the same deflated feeling. We have the opportunity to attract a top championship manager, one that has experienced success and has proven how to do it.

We are an attractive, well run club, that just needs that extra bit of experience to hopefully take us to the next level.

Nothing against PC, but appointing him feels like we are jumping from one almost ran to another.

11 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

With respect badger - you’ve admitted you don’t know much about him and seem to be basing that whole post on a couple of interviews.

Before writing something like that i’d suggest doing better research on his cv, clubs he’s managed, transfers and style of play.

8 minutes ago, daored said:

I think the one we can rule out here is that he wants a break, no reason why that would be the case.

He’ll be the manager of Birmingham or ourselves by the end of the week.

He therefore has to decide whether he prefers living nearer to the North West or working for a stable club.

In this situation he cannot have both.

16 minutes ago, daored said:

It’s this:

If we lose out on Paul Cook to Birmingham, it’s because we didn’t want him. There’s no way in the world anyone sane would choose St Andrews over Ashton Gate. 

Just now, Rocky said:

This is brilliant news. 

9 minutes ago, Bainsey said:

Paul Cook just doesn't strike me as the right fit for City. His personality seems a much better fit for Birmingham. Reading their forum it appears that he would prefer a move there as well due to being in closer proximity to family and friends. Now Karanka is no longer in the running too and Cook is about to leave Wigan I honestly think he's off to the Birmingham today and not us.

Yep......that young internationally renowned, forward thinking coach that we have all been praying would be recruited,  after hundreds of applications from across Europe.  Paul ***** Cook. ?

27 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

With respect badger - you’ve admitted you don’t know much about him and seem to be basing that whole post on a couple of interviews.

Before writing something like that i’d suggest doing better research on his cv, clubs he’s managed, transfers and style of play.

I agree with getting knowledge but it is also perfectly OK to have a gut feeling like his. I'm exactly the same. He just seems a completely uninspiring, underwhelming appointment, should it happen, compared to some of the other names we have been linked with. That being said, should it happen, I'd get behind him and hope he can provide success like he has at other clubs as I'm sure badger would.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Disagree Phileas. He is talking about how he is feeling. He said he hopes to be proven wrong, but his feeling is underwhelmed. I feel the same way too. I may not be ‘right’, but it IS true that this is how I feel. 

He maybe perfect for us, if he is appointed, I will of course support him, but it just doesn’t FEEL to me like the leap forward we were expecting we would make  Ashton did big this up and I cannot help but feel let down if it is Cook  

as per Badger, 

I would love it if others came back at me in a year’s time saying “you didn’t even want Cook, shows what you know”, but after MA’s teasers, talk of Gerrard and Hughton (I have wanted Hughton since the Geordies fired him), it all just feels a little “meh”  

11 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

His Wigan team dominated us this season.

Aggregate might show a 4-2 win bringing in 4 points for us but that was scoring 4 of the 7 shots on target we had whilst Wigan spurned 12 of their 14. Give a clinical Nakhi Wells 14 shots on target and you're talking different results.

In total Wigan hit 36 shots against us across the two games as we mustered a mere 15 of our own.

Wigan had a nice balance between attack and defence this season, and that's also something we were unable to find with LJ. Given that Cook probably had a nightmare with the way the boardroom was run at Wigan I'd be quietly confident that at the very least he's not going to do much worse than any other potential appointee.

Some good points on this post.

However, we were w@nk in both games. So it was more of a case of Mr Multiformations not having a Danny La Rue versus someone who keeps to the basics.

4 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Sorry Mr know it all. I've just told you I don't know much about him, and I'm just expressing my feelings about how I, as an individual, feels about the appointment. 

I have read other things about him too, it's just how I feel. I'm sorry you don't agree, and I bow down to your superior wisdom. I genuinely hope your knowledge proves to be right if he joins.

I wasn't trying to be rude to you Badger so I think you should take your sarcastic tone back. 

I've never claimed to be a Paul Cook expert but I think his profile is a good fit and he's got proven success. I haven't claimed to have any 'knowledge' about him - just an opinion.

I think people are a bit disappointed if it's Cook because he's not as glamorous as Hughton or Gerrard. If so, that's naive because reputation and glamour is no guarantee of success. 

He hasn't achieved his success at such a high level as Hughton, but he's used to working with a budget and could be a better fit for us as a result. I think he might surprise a lot of people here if he comes. 

When he left Portsmouth 25 days after winning the div 2 title i seem to remember he wanted to move back to the north to be closer to family. Of course nothing to do with the 3 year contract at £2.5 +. He took Liam Richardson with him as his assistant.

6 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Disagree Phileas. He is talking about how he is feeling. He said he hopes to be proven wrong, but his feeling is underwhelmed. I feel the same way too. I may not be ‘right’, but it IS true that this is how I feel. 

He maybe perfect for us, if he is appointed, I will of course support him, but it just doesn’t FEEL to me like the leap forward we were expecting we would make  Ashton did big this up and I cannot help but feel let down if it is Cook  

as per Badger, 

I would love it if others came back at me in a year’s time saying “you didn’t even want Cook, shows what you know”, but after MA’s teasers, talk of Gerrard and Hughton (I have wanted Hughton since the Geordies fired him), it all just feels a little “meh”  

You've articulated that much better and I think you make a good point. I think there's definitely an argument for a higher profile manager to join. Fans need a lift and lots expected this appointment to make a statement. Gerrard or Hughton would for sure. Paul Cook wouldn't in the same way - regardless whether people think it's a prudent choice.

11 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

as per Badger, 

Brilliantly put, exactly how I feel about the situation. 

12 hours ago, Red Alert said:

Something our club has missed is heart - its become very boring from Head Coach to CEO trotting out the business BS and Post match cliches.

Cook hasn't arrived yet or even been named but,,if he rocks up I see big problems...

Cook from what I can glean is a very straight forward,,to the point individual - pretty much a bullshit vacuum...

For a few beers personally my kind of bloke,,but he's the antithesis of Ashton & Co & they will quickly grow to bloody hate him...

Indeed - 'Red Alert.

If Cook is appointed then at least his interviews won't be ramblings of a coaching manual thesaurus.

Again, though I'm really trying to be positive here. Just feels flat and deflating this morning. Will support the bloke but whatever has been going on behind the scenes it doesn't feel like grounds for massive optimism. Should be used to it by now.

10 hours ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

Lowere league promotions. We are surely looking for someone to take us to the top table, if we want a lower league success we might as well kept LJ or even Steve Cotterill - he didn't do a bad job in league 1.

I for one would be totally under whelmed by this appointment if it happens given some of the names linked with the job.

Got to start somewhere mate.....Eddie Howe had done f all before he took Bournemouth up.

Archived