IGNORED

Paul Cook

BCFC1512

2 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Cook hasn't arrived yet or even been named but,,if he rocks up I see big problems...

Cook from what I can glean is a very straight forward,,to the point individual - pretty much a bullshit vacuum...

For a few beers personally my kind of bloke,,but he's the antithesis of Ashton & Co & they will quickly grow to bloody hate him...

Indeed - 'Red Alert.

Similar to Cotts. He was “hated” in the end, but still won the double. And the board have gone back for that type of manager, maybe this time they’ll stick with it.

17 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Disagree Phileas. He is talking about how he is feeling. He said he hopes to be proven wrong, but his feeling is underwhelmed. I feel the same way too. I may not be ‘right’, but it IS true that this is how I feel. 

He maybe perfect for us, if he is appointed, I will of course support him, but it just doesn’t FEEL to me like the leap forward we were expecting we would make  Ashton did big this up and I cannot help but feel let down if it is Cook  

as per Badger, 

I would love it if others came back at me in a year’s time saying “you didn’t even want Cook, shows what you know”, but after MA’s teasers, talk of Gerrard and Hughton (I have wanted Hughton since the Geordies fired him), it all just feels a little “meh”  

Your post reflects exactly how i also feel about this potential appointment....."Meh" being my overrriding emotion too.  Especially after Ashton's talk of a new era.  I do wonder, if its true of course, about a manager who factors in the geographic location of a club, when considering his options?   Doesn't exactly smack of ambition?

The issue with a so called cheaper option is it doesn't come across with the same level of serious intent and still has that feeling of just hoping it works out and if it doesn't , well at least it didn't cost much.

Either option comes with no guarantees obviously but like us the players are likely to feel the same. It's massively important that the whole club is behind the next appointment, in particular the players believing in it. It feels this time we got to aim higher.

Being honest would rather have Hughton than Cook. But would rather have Cook than Gerrard, Lowe, Terry, etc. I think he's a good manager, I think he'll fit the existing set up (for better or worse) and I think he'll do a good job. Whether he's the man to take us to the next level, time will tell

I just have a good feeling about this guy at City I don't know why.

His sides play a high press, high tempo, direct type of game which we havent seen since 17/18. He doesn't waffle on about arousals in interviews that we all have been bored with and I think those who doubt him will warm to him.

A good sign of a decent manager is one you hated when you played their sides. I hated him at Wigan simply because they were a nasty team to play. I want some of that please

Just now, Roadrunner said:

OZeITm0U_bigger.jpg

BREAKING: Wigan are expected to announce today that manager Paul Cook has resigned. As it stands, Paul Cook does not have another job lined up. - talkSPORT understands

So that's the latest.

One thing we can't trust is what talksport now have to say after the Hughton 'announcement'.

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

You've articulated that much better and I think you make a good point. I think there's definitely an argument for a higher profile manager to join. Fans need a lift and lots expected this appointment to make a statement. Gerrard or Hughton would for sure. Paul Cook wouldn't in the same way - regardless whether people think it's a prudent choice.

Agree with this. However, this wasn't / isn't the time for a 'prudent' choice. It was / is a time of opportunity. The austerity that lies ahead for football will affect most clubs so again, this may even work in our favour. Just feels that chance to grab the opportunity looks less likely. If he gets it, then good luck to him and whoever he brings in with him. At least I can give my F5 button a rest now and catch up on the work I've built up whilst surfing everywhere for ITK info.

2 minutes ago, supercidered said:

Agree with this. However, this wasn't / isn't the time for a 'prudent' choice. It was / is a time of opportunity. The austerity that lies ahead for football will affect most clubs so again, this may even work in our favour. Just feels that chance to grab the opportunity looks less likely. If he gets it, then good luck to him and whoever he brings in with him. At least I can give my F5 button a rest now and catch up on the work I've built up whilst surfing everywhere for ITK info.

Agreed - I am not personally advocating for Paul Cook over Hughton and think actually the macro situation is a great chance to steal a march on other clubs in a (on paper) weaker league. I completely get the viewpoint that we need to make a statement with this appointment and the sounding out of Gerrard and Hughton indicates the board feel that too.

I would assume that Hughton would interview better than Cook (in terms of the type of man the board seem to warm to) so Cook leaving Wigan and Birmingham appointing Karanka doesn't necessarily make this a done deal in my eyes. 

5 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I just have a good feeling about this guy at City I don't know why.

His sides play a high press, high tempo, direct type of game which we havent seen since 17/18. He doesn't waffle on about arousals in interviews that we all have been bored with and I think those who doubt him will warm to him.

A good sign of a decent manager is one you hated when you played their sides. I hated him at Wigan simply because they were a nasty team to play. I want some of that please

One thing we can't trust is what talksport now have to say after the Hughton 'announcement'.

Same here. Had the same feeling when GJ took over. Just seemed to be the right man at the right time. Did well everywhere else he had been and on his way up the league.

10 hours ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

Lowere league promotions. We are surely looking for someone to take us to the top table, if we want a lower league success we might as well kept LJ or even Steve Cotterill - he didn't do a bad job in league 1.

I for one would be totally under whelmed by this appointment if it happens given some of the names linked with the job.

I have run out of likes for today already and cannot like this enough!

Exactly how I feel about this.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agreed - I am not personally advocating for Paul Cook over Hughton and think actually the macro situation is a great chance to steal a march on other clubs in a (on paper) weaker league. I completely get the viewpoint that we need to make a statement with this appointment and the sounding out of Gerrard and Hughton indicates the board feel that too.

I would assume that Hughton would interview better than Cook (in terms of the type of man the board seem to warm to) so Cook leaving Wigan and Birmingham appointing Karanka doesn't necessarily make this a done deal in my eyes. 

I put a fairly large bet on Cook being appointed. Just to soften the blow !

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Hiring Chris Hughton would be a massive sign of intent .

Bringing in Paul Cook would be another type of sign . 

To me this sums it up. It's another communications issue...I can only speak for myself but my expectations of LJ's successor have been raised and if I'm honest I'm not sure that Paul Cook meets them. 

Paul Cook might be a great appointment. Might turn out to be fantastic. I wouldn't be unhappy with him at all. But after all the implication of extensive searches, the raised profile and potential of the club, pushing on for the Prem etc etc the appointment of a 'been there, done that' in the Championship and Premiership manager like Hughton sends a very different signal to hiring a successful League 1 and 2 boss. 

Just now, QuedgeRed said:

So who thinks Cook is a serious upgrade from Johnson???

??‍♂️?

That would be a no from me.

However, he won't talk endless buzz words and tech talk bulls!t and I'd imagine he won't f@ck around with mind blowing formations an personnel.

Will the football be any better? Lets face it the bar has been set pretty low. 

2 minutes ago, Clevedon Red said:

There’s a lot of love and respect for him on Twitter. 

Well if that's the case, then i have completely changed my mind....seeing as Twitter is world renowned as a barometer for all that is good in the world?    So........."Come on down Cookie Monster"

14 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Similar to Cotts. He was “hated” in the end, but still won the double. And the board have gone back for that type of manager, maybe this time they’ll stick with it.

I didn’t want Cotterill precisely for this reason, that he had a reputation for being a rough, tough, straight-speaking bully.  But then he built the best team I’ve watched in getting on for thirty years, and achieved promotion with 99 points.  If Cook is appointed and can achieve anything like that, then i’ll take some of it!

3 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

To me this sums it up. It's another communications issue...I can only speak for myself but my expectations of LJ's successor have been raised and if I'm honest I'm not sure that Paul Cook meets them. 

Paul Cook might be a great appointment. Might turn out to be fantastic. I wouldn't be unhappy with him at all. But after all the implication of extensive searches, the raised profile and potential of the club, pushing on for the Prem etc etc the appointment of a 'been there, done that' in the Championship and Premiership manager like Hughton sends a very different signal to hiring a successful League 1 and 2 boss. 

If we had a shortlist of 8 and Paul Cook was the one who gets the job. Then FFS what did the long list look like!!

3 minutes ago, QuedgeRed said:

??‍♂️?

My gut feeling is yes. He has a proven track record unlike Johnson and far more experience. He has managed clubs on a budget and plays good football.

I really think lots of people will be pleasantly surprised if it is him.

3 minutes ago, QuedgeRed said:

??‍♂️?

He’s an upgrade. Look at his history in comparison. 
Promotions with Chesterfield, Wigan and Pompey. Had Wigan finishing one spot below us last season in reality. Played at the top level for Coventry.

History of identifying and developing players.

Compare that to LJ, most Barnsley fans were happy to see him go. Winning and losing streaks at both clubs. Some history of developing players, but not as much. Never played at the top level.

Paul Prepare dinner is an upgrade. Maybe not to the extent of Hughton, but I’d rather the club appoint the right man rather than the bigger name if he doesn’t fit.

2 minutes ago, supercidered said:

That would be a no from me.

However, he won't talk endless buzz words and tech talk bulls!t and I'd imagine he won't f@ck around with mind blowing formations an personnel.

Will the football be any better? Lets face it the bar has been set pretty low. 

He can talk in Shakesperian Rhyming "Pheckin" Couplets for all I care..........If he got us promoted?   ??

10 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

OZeITm0U_bigger.jpg

BREAKING: Wigan are expected to announce today that manager Paul Cook has resigned. As it stands, Paul Cook does not have another job lined up. - talkSPORT understands

So that's the latest.

Well its public knowledge now he has left Wigan. Why would we take him on ?? It’s a bit like playing cards when one card is missing and as a stop gap you use the joker card and write down on it the original card that is missing. As you feel secure That its only a temporary measure as you plan to buy a new pack in the next few days. However sometimes you forget as time goes by and you are still left with a pack of cards that isn’t quite the pack to proceed further. 

Another comparison is purchasing a new car. One car is double the price of the other to purchase new. You end up buying the cheaper option hoping to invest your savings else where like a “director of football “ expense fund where you have been advised by others that you will make money over many years.

then all of a sudden your new car breaks down and your neighbor that purchased the more expensive option is suddenly leaps and bounds ahead of you.

7 minutes ago, QuedgeRed said:

??‍♂️?

I'd say he was a step up if perhaps not the first name on everyone's lips. He looks and sounds like a leader, unlike LJ, and he won't take any BS in the dressing room or on the training ground. At least the players will be able to understand his tactics which has to be a massive positive 

Archived