IGNORED

Paul Cook

BCFC1512

23 minutes ago, Sturny said:

But why waste 2 season on potentially mediocre managers rather than splash the cash on proven one?

All managers are “potentially” mediocre.

Danny Wilson had managed 2 sides in The Premiership but he couldn’t get us out of League One in 4 attempts.

Gary Johnson had only managed Yeovil & Latvia, yet he did it in his first full season & got to within one game of The Prem in the following one.

Wilson was the mediocre one there..

14 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I think the expectations are clear, I don’t see why they should lower it then after LJ. How harsh would that be! 

I don’t have a problem with Paul Cook, I welcome it. But if the board want immediate success (I consider getting top 6 next season that) then why not pay for it? You gotta admit whilst Paul Cook has a respectable career so far he’s not exactly a “flashy” appointment some would say 

No, it's not. I've said that earlier in the thread. I can totally understand why some fans feel that someone of higher profile would want that - there's a strong argument for it in terms of galvanising the club and giving some momentum. 

I rate Cook but he's not going to sell many extra STs or generate media attention. Someone like or Hughton would've.

22 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

This is an interesting point. One would hope the man is far more professional than self preservation.

Very pooor analysis... Unless you are aware CH and PC are choices 1 and 2. I very much doubt that or a CH deal would have been wrapped up days or even weeks ago.

And your analysis is ..... ?

What makes people think that a free agent like Hughton is going to jump at an offer from us, rather than waiting to see what else is available? There is some talk of him being keen on BCFC, but that may be wide of the mark. What if he prefers the idea of Watford - or someone else - and is actually keeping us waiting?

Frankly I fail to see why you think we could have wrapped up a deal for him quickly, even if we wanted to. It takes two to tango and we have no real idea of his intentions.

I suspect all this is far more subtle and complex than people think.

So those questioning him being an upgrade on LJ....What has LJ done that Paul Cook hasn’t? Seriously come on?

He might not be a ‘marquee’ name but to say he isn’t an upgrade on LJ is nonsense. Cook has an excellent record and all the credentials for this job.

Would he be my first choice? No he wouldn’t, but that doesn’t mean I don’t think he will be a great fit for us. 

Those claiming he isn’t an upgrade on LJ are basing this opinion purely on Paul Cooks ‘name’ and not his track record and success to date.

1 minute ago, Hare Island said:

Worried that as options dwindle the continuity candidate becomes more and more attractive to those making the decision. 

Its a bit like our new Striker hunt last summer. Ended up with Afobe which if I remember correctly was around 5th on the list of the most wanted. 

10 minutes ago, Spike said:

We've barely had enough to know of that's true or not when it comes to managers and the few we've had have been at terrible times, not with an infrastructure like we have now. 

We have a lot of talent in our squad, we also have some dead weight but we're definitely an established Championship team right now with a lot of potential. 

Hughton is a must right now, not only would it be a huge boost for the fans I think it'd be a massive boost for the players as he'll be able to demand respect, he'll be able to say he knows what he's taking about and he's definitely got the experience. We need a real leader, as much as LJ may have been a nice bloke any player could look at him and think "he's never achieved what we're aiming for" and as bad as it sounds Lee hardly had the imposing stature to bump heads and demand respect either. 

I think Hughton wouldn't take any crap from his players, he's a good man motivator, a solid tactician and he's very motivated. 

There is no point in looking at the past and saying "hasn't worked for us", we need to look to the future and say "what's best for us?" and it would seem overwhelmingly Hughton seems to be what's right for the fans. 

Does he even fit what we are doing?

Does not look like he gives youngsters a chance?!

Dont get me wrong, i'd be happy if he becomes our manager. But i'll be just as happy if Paul Cook comes here as he has a impressive track record too!

12 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

All managers are “potentially” mediocre.

Danny Wilson had managed 2 sides in The Premiership but he couldn’t get us out of League One in 4 attempts.

Gary Johnson had only managed Yeovil & Latvia, yet he did it in his first full season & got to within one game of The Prem in the following one.

Wilson was the mediocre one there..

?????

I’d be happy with Cook. The reasons why I won’t repeat because all the main positives have been well made already by other posters.

Not sure whether any appointment will be universally liked, but you can predictably see already with Cook the fans that don’t want him because he’s not that glittery name and those that are delighted because he’s got a bit of that nostalgic no nonsense old school bald British worked his way up the leagues about him too.

Both style managers have had success in this division, we need to find what works for us.

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

No, it's not. I've said that earlier in the thread. I can totally understand why some fans feel that someone of higher profile would want that - there's a strong argument for it in terms of galvanising the club and giving some momentum. 

I rate Cook but he's not going to sell many extra STs or generate media attention. Someone like or Hughton would've.

You are, of course, completely correct but then these are strange times - can't see a big dash for extra STs whoever we get because of Covid.

6 minutes ago, supercidered said:

Its a bit like our new Striker hunt last summer. Ended up with Afobe which if I remember correctly was around 5th on the list of the most wanted. 

I'm not sure Afobe was on any lists in the speculation. He was evidence that City are really good at doing deals without people finding out. Could this be  what we are doing now? Loads of talk of Gerrard, Hughton, Cook and we end up with a manager that nobody has talked about.

Just now, citywest30 said:

I'm not sure Afobe was on any lists in the speculation. He was evidence that City are really good at doing deals without people finding out. Could this be  what we are doing now? Loads of talk of Gerrard, Hughton, Cook and we end up with a manager that nobody has talked about.

At least Warnock has just been confirmed to stay at Boro.

44 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

They have no grounds for appeal, it clearly states if you go into administration, you’re deducted 12 points, they went into administration they’ve been docked 12 points, simple. 

Can you imagine if somehow this was overruled, can't imagine that all the other clubs that have lost out for the same thing being very happy could get very messy. You're right it would open a very large can of worms if it is overturned.

3 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I’d be happy with Cook. The reasons why I won’t repeat because all the main positives have been well made already by other posters.

Not sure whether any appointment will be universally liked, but you can predictably see already with Cook the fans that don’t want him because he’s not that glittery name and those that are delighted because he’s got a bit of that nostalgic no nonsense old school bald British worked his way up the leagues about him too.

I must have missed the deluge of posts emphasising his baldness as a positive.

His record is good but he doesn't exactly stick out to me as being levels better than LJ. Thats mainly down to the clubs he has managed though and the divisions they were in. For a club looking to finish in the top 6 I don't think it's the best CV out there. I don't know loads about his teams but I have heard the football he tries to play is quite good which is a big plus. And I like that he has managed in the championship, for me we shouldn't go for an unknown who just has a Spanish or Portuguese name or a big name who has achieved nothing in management. I am not sure he would fit in too well with the structure of the club but I like the idea of someone shaking things up with respect to that. He's definitely below Hughton for me but still an ok option.

Past caring now.

The suits will appoint someone, views on here will be mixed, they might do well, they might do badly, whoever it is will be judged against LJ who clearly cared, even if he was guilty of over complicating when a back to basics approach seemed the most obvious thing to do.

Won't be surprised if we end up with Holden.

This is all about 'the project' from what I can see.

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Past caring now.

The suits will appoint someone, views on here will be mixed, they might do well, they might do badly, whoever it is will be judged against LJ who clearly cared, even if he was guilty of over complicating when a back to basics approach seemed the most obvious thing to do.

Won't be surprised if we end up with Holden.

This is all about 'the project' from what I can see.

Just wish I knew what 'the project' actually is / means!!

10 minutes ago, Johnr1986 said:

Disappointing I was hoping for houghton! 

Why? His record since the early 2000s is a little odd and mainly in international management in Asian countries:

1997–1999 China
2000 Shanghai Pudong
2001 Sichuan Quanxing
2002–2003 Zhejiang Greentown
2005 Uzbekistan
2005–2006 Changsha Ginde
2006–2011 India

Surely we can do a bit better than Bob Houghton?

9 minutes ago, QuedgeRed said:

Surely we need proven at promotion to the Prem if we are to “take the next step”?

Not necessarily. Wilder, Dyche, Howe and countess other managers without experience have been promoted.

Karanka, Pearson, Coppell and countless other managers have failed to repeat promotion to the premier league at respective clubs.

I'm not convinced a managers' previous experience of getting promoted is a particularly effective predictor of who will get promoted in the future. 

Archived