IGNORED

Paul Cook

BCFC1512

36 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Every club, without exception, that Cook has managed has been a basket case.

Very, very different coming in to manage a club that has genuine expectations. Of Premier League football no less. 

Why do you consider Accrington and Chesterfield to have been “basket case” clubs when he joined them as manager in 2011 and 2012 respectively?

2 hours ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

Would’ve rather kept LJ tbh.. means we have to pay his compensation and hire a manager who is half the proven quality of CH... another mid table season next year then

Can you let me have this week's lottery numbers and the next few weeks' horse racing results while you're on a roll ? :) 

31 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Who’s Karanka? He’s been named by BBC for Brum

15 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Ex Middlesbrough and Forest manager...

13 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Mourinho's former assistant at Real Madrid.

And played five years at Real Madrid.

Dean Holden played for Rochdale...

24 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Why do you consider Accrington and Chesterfield to have been “basket case” clubs when he joined them as manager in 2011 and 2012 respectively?

Wigan wasn't at the time of joining them a basket case was it.

Doubt Accrington is or was a basket case either- Andy Holt is a great owner!

18 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Mourinho's former assistant at Real Madrid.

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

Holden also played for Falkirk amongst many other clubs!!! However, remind me, which top clubs did Mourinho represent as a player in his 94 games? Or Wenger in his 60 odd games as a player? 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Very, very different coming in to manage a club that has genuine expectations. Of Premier League football no less. 

Not sure I’d agree with that. Portsmouth were owned by the supporters and were well past their financially troubled times, and were being run very well by then. 

Wigan were absolutely fine until the new owners rocked up this year, somehow passed the EFL fit and proper persons test. 

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Holden also played for Falkirk amongst many other clubs!!! However, remind me, which top clubs did Mourinho represent as a player in his 94 games? Or Wenger in his 60 odd games as a player? 

Hey my jibe was staring me in the face, begging to be written on a forum.

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

Have you ever met dean? Maybe during a school lunch break? I can assure you he is anything but a yes man!

He’s a bloody top bloke I can tell you.  A people person.  Can imagine the players like him....caveatted by easier to play good cop as the assistant.

8 minutes ago, mozo said:

....and Bolton under Allardyce.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Just checking, but are you still talking about City? ?

42 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

That's my recollection of where both clubs were at when he was in charge. Certainly Chesterfield have come into hard times since he left.

Happy to be corrected.

Notwithstanding that, they are both very unfashionable clubs, particularly AS, where expectations are low. 

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

That's my recollection of where both clubs were at when he was in charge. Certainly Chesterfield have come into hard times since he left.

Happy to be corrected.

Notwithstanding that, they are both very unfashionable clubs, particularly AS, where expectations are low. 

What’s your gut feeling Hughton or Cook ?

8 hours ago, Riaz said:

Does he even fit what we are doing?

Gaining promotion to the Premiership? I'd say he does it better than we do.

Does not look like he gives youngsters a chance?!

I'm sure if the youngsters are good enough then yes he would give them game time. To put it simply I think he'd use Brownhill, Ried,  Bryan, Webster, Kelly etc if they were still here but they've all gone onto Premiership clubs whilst we've remained in the Championship. So yes, I think he'd give youth a chance if they're good enough to play, what it comes down to is do we want to create Premiership quality players so we can sell them all and sit in the Championship or do we actually want to make that push because at some point we need to take that risk where we don't sell but actually push on.

Dont get me wrong, i'd be happy if he becomes our manager. But i'll be just as happy if Paul Cook comes here as he has a impressive track record too!

Cook does, but Cook is not Hughton and his highest club managed is Wigan. Cook has won two League Two titles and a League One title, these are signs of a winning manager but they still are not a touch on Hughton who has promoted 3 of the 4 clubs he's managed out of the Championship to the Premier League. League One and Two are a whole different couple of leagues compared to the Championship, the Championship is arguably one of the hardest leagues in the world in which to gain promotion so when it comes down to a manager with a 75% success ratio and the other team having finished 4th I don't think there are many that come remotely close.

I honestly feel taking Cook on now would be very typical of us, it's another up and coming rather than proven and it wouldn't turn many heads. With the reputation of Hughton comes a lot of interested players as well as a big wave of excitement from the fans and it would draw a lot of positive media our way.

25 minutes ago, eric04 said:

Not sure I’d agree with that. Portsmouth were owned by the supporters and were well past their financially troubled times, and were being run very well by then. 

Wigan were absolutely fine until the new owners rocked up this year, somehow passed the EFL fit and proper persons test. 

I'm quite close to Pompey, part of why I have some reservations over Cook. I can assure you that just because they were supporter owned by that point didn't mean everything was rosey down at Fratton Park, far from it. 

I'm willing to accept that they weren't in a bad place in terms of challenging for promotion in L2 but given what Pompey had been through in the preceding years, expectation was low, even in the basement division. 

That said, he did the job of getting them up in the end. So fair play. But we, in the Cship are evidently an entirely different kettle of fish!

36 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Happy to be corrected.

I agree they are ‘unfashionable’ clubs - but that doesn’t mean they were ‘basket case’ clubs when he joined them - the term ‘basket case’ is bandied around liberally on here to describe clubs, but no one can back it up with what it actually means. So you’ve gone from saying “every club that Cook has managed, without exception, was a basket case” to admitting that you meant some of them weren’t “fashionable” ...oh well

38 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

So now a article saying we haven’t interviewed cook. 
Does any of these so called journalists actually know anything ? 

8B869C1D-141B-4ACC-9B51-8980B947EC8C.png

I believe this writer knows far less than Gregor and James at the BP.

5 hours ago, Riaz said:

Who says he's the best candidate? How many younger players has he played at his previous clubs.

How would he cope with a small budget than he's used too? How would he cope with constantly losing his best players?

And the last guy did a very good job overall

Being generous there. He did ok at best. Clearly ran out of ideas 18 months ago though 

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I agree they are ‘unfashionable’ clubs - but that doesn’t mean they were ‘basket case’ clubs when he joined them - the term ‘basket case’ is bandied around liberally on here to describe clubs, but no one can back it up with what it actually means. So you’ve gone from saying “every club that Cook has managed, without exception, was a basket case” to admitting that you meant some of them weren’t “fashionable” ...oh well

Yes, I have pal. I'm admitting basket case probably wasn't the right term whilst acknowledging that all the clubs he has managed thus far have had nothing like the expectation that is at Bristol City right now. 

Agreed? Or not?

Archived