IGNORED

Paul Cook

BCFC1512

1 minute ago, redordead1 said:

Can anyone compare Wigan’s and Pompey’s budget in their division comparatively versus Brighton Norwich and Newcastle’s in theirs?

Where did they stand in terms of spend in their respective divisions?

This would go a long way to answering the above. 

I would also argue that the inherited squads are a large part of it too.....for example the Newcastle squad that Hughton got promoted in 2010 was pretty ridiculous to be honest.....

Coloccini, Barton, Butt, Nolan, Smith, Gutierez, Carroll, Ameobi for starters.

7 minutes ago, redordead1 said:

Can anyone compare Wigan’s and Pompey’s budget in their division comparatively versus Brighton Norwich and Newcastle’s in theirs?

Where did they stand in terms of spend in their respective divisions?

This would go a long way to answering the above. 

This is a good point, he signed Gary Roberts for both Portsmouth & Wigan (the best player outside the championship for a few years a little while back) & he pretty much ran the show. He certainly had a war chest compared to the other teams in those divisions. Jury is very much out for me on him, as i said im not against it, but he isnt a mother teresa miracle worker, he has had money at the clubs he has been at.

Hughton did inherit an extremely good Newcastle team, however he did very well at Birmingham & Brighton. Norwich were already in the prem when he took over.

3 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Well of course we could get promotion, stranger things have happened, but in my opinion i would expect us to be solid midtable with Cook, like we are now. But maybe showing more fight in games than under LJ.

Cook is a manager who gets the best out of his players. LJ didn’t. 

Imagine Cook getting a similar output of of our squad versus what he got out of Wigan. That’s probably top 2 material. 

34 minutes ago, One Team said:

Based on what logic?

All three have managed at this level and got teams promoted from this level; which I thought was the entry criteria for the appointment and the reason LJ was sacked.

All three are completely realistic if that’s the rationale.

Wagner is manager Schalke. 

Hughton has turned down a number of jobs recently and looks like going to Watford now

Jokanovic is raking it in abroad and if he ever sounded out coming back here he would have a whole host of clubs after him 

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

Imagine Cook getting a similar output of of our squad versus what he got out of Wigan. That’s probably top 2 material. 

That’s a very good point actually. You almost forget just how talented our squad is after the crap LJ put us (& them) through.

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

Type of bloke who will get the best out of Dean Windass' fat son but our collection of international stars I dont think so.

1 minute ago, frenchred said:

I would argue we have a bang average deeply lopsided squad

I think we have the nucleus of a very good squad - Bentley, Kalas, Dasilva, Massengo, Nagy (if he stays, think he will come good), Palmer, Wells. Need another 4 or so players in, but think the base is there. Anyone could get more out of them than LJ, even Dean Holden managed to.

42 minutes ago, One Team said:

Based on what logic?

All three have managed at this level and got teams promoted from this level; which I thought was the entry criteria for the appointment and the reason LJ was sacked.

All three are completely realistic if that’s the rationale.

7 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Wagner is manager Schalke. 

Hughton has turned down a number of jobs recently and looks like going to Watford now

Jokanovic is raking it in abroad and if he ever sounded out coming back here he would have a whole host of clubs after him 

Just to add, Jokanovic gave an interview saying he's had offers but is in no rush to return either and would have to be for a job he's really interested by.

Wagner..... dear god no picture below is the form table for the last 20 games of the season between that and his end at Huddersfield I wouldn't be touching him. 

Hughton is possible given he's seemingly applied and stated interest, requests for the role would be what stands in the way

image.thumb.png.0ba38a2e94299482c375951cf60a31f4.png

35 minutes ago, tin said:

To say Hughton had large financial backing at Newcastle and Brighton is not true.

Hughton spent £5.6m when taking Newcastle up in 09/10, and £7.8m in Brighton’s promotion-winning season in 16/17. LJ, for comparison in 16/17, spent £11.4m in the same season.  

Back to Cook, he’d have my backing as long as he was able to bring in his own players. With Ashton calling the shots, I doubt he will.

The financial backing was in the form of player wages. I thought Brighton broke FFP when getting promoted

2 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

I’d not be too disappointed with Paul Cook, I think he’s a very good manager, proven in the Championship and has left all the clubs he’s managed in a much better place than when he joined them. Some of the replies to McGregor’s tweet were utterly cringeworthy.

I agree his achievements to date make him a credible candidate - not sure he is yet ‘‘proven in the championship” though? He’s only been a manager for two seasons at this level hasn’t he? Apologies if I’ve got that incorrect - if I haven’t though, does managing for two seasons at this level and finishing 18th and mid-table (didn’t Wigan finish around 15th before their points deduction?) mean a manager is ‘proven’ ? I’m not saying you are wrong but it’s an interesting debate ...

Something our club has missed is heart - its become very boring from Head Coach to CEO trotting out the business BS and Post match cliches.

Watched Cook’s post match videos & get the impression he could bring a new dynamic to the club, passion & pride. Something that has maybe been lacking.

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I agree his achievements to date make him a credible candidate - not sure he is yet ‘‘proven in the championship” though? He’s only been a manager for two seasons at this level hasn’t he? Apologies if I’ve got that incorrect - if I haven’t though, does managing for two seasons at this level and finishing 18th and mid-table (didn’t Wigan finish around 15th before their points deduction?) mean a manager is ‘proven’ ? I’m not saying you are wrong but it’s an interesting debate ...

How essential is it being a 'proven' manager? Better to be the right fit

Frank - 1st season champ manager

Parker - 1st full season as manager

Harris  - 8th/21st with Millwall before 5th with Cardiff

Cooper - 1st season as manager

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

Too factual. Please delete. 

Not totally against it but just feel it’s neither the proven ‘been there done it manager’ or the young & upcoming one that the club seem to want  Just seems a bit underwhelming & disappointing. Of course all we know is that he’s been interviewed, may not be offered or want it. 

1 hour ago, RedC said:

I think the most interesting aspect of Paul Cook is that he has been successful everywhere on limited budgets. I too remember the Chesterfield side with Eoin Doyle being their star man. The next logical step for Cook is with a club like ours, the question is does he have the ability to make that step up a success.

Has he got the ‘ standing ‘ to bring in and develop established players who could get us up ? 

44 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

If he signs Dowell and gets Joe Williams back then that's the Everton youth midfield 3 with Walsh too.

Not sure we'd need Dowell though when we have Pato, Palmer and Szmodics. Dowell seems more like a 10 when at his best at Wigan and Forest.

Dunkley is available on a free I think.

Not really sure what we'd do if we signed Robinson as we have Dasilva. Both top left backs at this level.

That was really why I was only a “maybe” on Robinson. If we didn’t have Dasilva, he’d be an obvious choice. I liked Dowell from his time at Forest, there’s clear potential there 

1 minute ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

That was really why I was only a “maybe” on Robinson. If we didn’t have Dasilva, he’d be an obvious choice. I liked Dowell from his time at Forest, there’s clear potential there 

Sell Dasilva and sign Robinson for a fraction of the price ££££££££££

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Can you imagine if Bobby Reid and Jon Stead still played for us?

“Reidy, Steady, Cook!”

1 hour ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Getting into dangerous humorous comment zone now.

You’re correct Roger. It’s not long now till we get bread puns.  In fact if anyone has the nerve to make any jokes about bread they’re toast 

12 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

The financial backing was in the form of player wages. I thought Brighton broke FFP when getting promoted

They came close to breaking FFP, but not because of some Hughton spending splurge. 

9 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

That’s not what I was saying, I just questioned a poster saying Cook is ‘proven’ at this level when he has had two seasons and finished 18th and 15th (?) ...

I'd be interested what he'd make of our squad. My impression is he'd want to swap a few of our "busy bees" for players with a bit more steel/guile/determination which I'd be right behind. If he's allowed to do that and can fit in a few of our more creative types it could be exciting.

He was my pick on the realistic managers thread so I'd be well happy with him.

53 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Certainly not the worst choice, but also not the best. Plus side is we won’t get relegated with him in charge but we also won’t win promotion (which was meant to be the next step).

No use comparing him to Chris Wilder, as that type of manager is a once in a blue moon, think the comparisons seem to appear from them both being Northern? Lets not forget, Wigan fans were calling for him to be sacked last October, but hey ho, lets see what happens. I also don’t see him being a yes man which could cause tension with the board.

Why wouldn’t he get us promoted? He has a decent amount of promotions on his CV already. Shows he knows what it takes. Odd assumption.

Archived