IGNORED

Paul Cook

BCFC1512

Just now, Mr Hankey said:

Wouldn’t class it as an odd assumption at all. This is a hard division to get out of & i don’t see Paul Cook doing it for us. Success in League 1 & League 2 is a completely different thing to success in the Championship, just look at Cotts. Happy to be proven wrong, but would take Hughton over Cook, would feel more confident in promotion under him.

I think it’s only right to feel that way, after all Hughton has done it twice but if we can’t get him, for whatever reason, then Cook is a bloody good appointment. 

Just now, AshtonGreat said:

Would be an interesting appointment, although his relative lack of experience at Championship level would be a concern, as would the fact that he's just come off the back of a relegation. 

I think it would be more than harsh to lay Wigan's relegation at their manager's door.

Just now, AshtonGreat said:

Would be an interesting appointment, although his relative lack of experience at Championship level would be a concern, as would the fact that he's just come off the back of a relegation. 

Points deduction aside, Wigan took 39 points from 1 Jan until end of season which is absolutely mental form. Beat Leeds and West Brom away and also pumped a few teams too. 

1 minute ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Points deduction aside, Wigan took 39 points from 1 Jan until end of season which is absolutely mental form. Beat Leeds and West Brom away and also pumped a few teams too. 

Fair point. I must admit, I'd actually forgotten about the points deduction. 

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

I think it’s only right to feel that way, after all Hughton has done it twice but if we can’t get him, for whatever reason, then Cook is a bloody good appointment. 

Absolutely, under any other circumstances i wouldn’t feel underwhelmed by Cook at all, but the club set their stall out with Lansdown stating yearly improvement was the minimum & then to sack LJ (praise the lord) when play offs were out of reach, just felt this appointment was going  to be the big statement.....it just doesn’t have that feel now. He will 100% have my full support & no doubt the football will be better which is the major benefit.

Hughton was available so we chased Gerrard, then when Gerrard said no we went back to Hughton who gave us 2 fingers and now we are scraping the barrel , well done !  Would have been happier keeping LJ.  Having heard Steve L’s interview he was looking for a manager who would take us to the next level and had experience in promotion from this league. 

2 minutes ago, marmite said:

Could he attract the players to make a difference? Imagine another Tammy being told " Paul Cook wants to have you at Bristol City".  Reply...who.... where?

If you can find it read Harry's post on his recruitment over the years

1 minute ago, LoyalRed said:

Hughton was available so we chased Gerrard, then when Gerrard said no we went back to Hughton who gave us 2 fingers and now we are scraping the barrel , well done !  Would have been happier keeping LJ.  Having heard Steve L’s interview he was looking for a manager who would take us to the next level and had experience in promotion from this league. 

None of us know do we? It’s quite possible that CH did not want the job ‘as advertised’ and felt he could get a club with a bigger budget, dunno? We are an established mid table Championship side with a mid table budget. We have no right for CH to accept an offer from us if we made one? Maybe we did lose him because we were dicking around, but that is not a given. 

6 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

Link please?

His Wigan team dominated us this season.

Aggregate might show a 4-2 win bringing in 4 points for us but that was scoring 4 of the 7 shots on target we had whilst Wigan spurned 12 of their 14. Give a clinical Nakhi Wells 14 shots on target and you're talking different results.

In total Wigan hit 36 shots against us across the two games as we mustered a mere 15 of our own.

Wigan had a nice balance between attack and defence this season, and that's also something we were unable to find with LJ. Given that Cook probably had a nightmare with the way the boardroom was run at Wigan I'd be quietly confident that at the very least he's not going to do much worse than any other potential appointee.

1 minute ago, cityexile said:

None of us know do we? It’s quite possible that CH did not want the job ‘as advertised’ and felt he could get a club with a bigger budget, dunno? We are an established mid table Championship side with a mid table budget. We have no right for CH to accept an offer from us if we made one? Maybe we did lose him because we were dicking around, but that is not a given. 

If whatever reason the club appear to not have wanted Hughton , wages , control or one of many reasons. If he was our first choice I believe he would be in place now 

1 hour ago, RedC said:

The piece you have attached is very informative. It does show a clear eye for a player. I suppose the question is he would now be working with better players and bigger names.....would he be able to make that transition? Some good players mentioned but none in my view that would strengthen us now. 

Is he a lower end champ top end league 1 manager or can he make that transition.....certainly only one way to find out.

All in my opinion, but...

Darikwa would improve us at RB,

Sam Clucas would improve us anywhere in midfield or left wing.

Morsy or Williams would give our midfield more backbone.

1 hour ago, tin said:

To say Hughton had large financial backing at Newcastle and Brighton is not true.

Hughton spent £5.6m when taking Newcastle up in 09/10, and £7.8m in Brighton’s promotion-winning season in 16/17. LJ, for comparison in 16/17, spent £11.4m in the same season.  

Back to Cook, he’d have my backing as long as he was able to bring in his own players. With Ashton calling the shots, I doubt he will.

You need to look beyond transfer fees, that is not a reflection of backing.  Brighton’s wages were the biggest of the the non-Parachute Payment teams....they just sneaked by on FFP.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

If he signs Dowell and gets Joe Williams back then that's the Everton youth midfield 3 with Walsh too.

Not sure we'd need Dowell though when we have Pato, Palmer and Szmodics. Dowell seems more like a 10 when at his best at Wigan and Forest.

Dunkley is available on a free I think.

Not really sure what we'd do if we signed Robinson as we have Dasilva. Both top left backs at this level.

Agree with Dowell....saw him play a few times as a conventional CM and he looked off it.

25 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Cook set to quit Wigan!!!!!!!!

Do you want me to refund the £1 I told you to lay on Gerrard?

8 minutes ago, marmite said:

Could he attract the players to make a difference? Imagine another Tammy being told " Paul Cook wants to have you at Bristol City".  Reply...who.... where?

Reece James just seen saying “hold my beer” ???

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

His Wigan team dominated us this season.

Aggregate might show a 4-2 win bringing in 4 points for us but that was scoring 4 of the 7 shots on target we had whilst Wigan spurned 12 of their 14. Give a clinical Nakhi Wells 14 shots on target and you're talking different results.

In total Wigan hit 36 shots against us across the two games as we mustered a mere 15 of our own.

Wigan had a nice balance between attack and defence this season, and that's also something we were unable to find with LJ. Given that Cook probably had a nightmare with the way the boardroom was run at Wigan I'd be quietly confident that at the very least he's not going to do much worse than any other potential appointee.

Shrewsbury dominated us too. Infact 90% the teams we came up against looked better than us. Especially technically.

17 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

That’s it then ?

Wigan Athletic manager Paul Cook is set to leave his role at the club in the next 24 hours
A source at the DW Stadium said that Cook, who joined the Latics back in 2017, will be stepping down from his position on Wednesday (July 28) after three years and 155 games in charge.
Cook’s impending departure comes despite the 53-year-old having two years left on his contract at the north-west outfit. 

Is that next year? Today’s the 28th and a Tuesday. 

I did have to check mind, working from home blends all the days together now. 

Archived