IGNORED

Paul Cook

BCFC1512

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

That's the thing for me. If people are getting excited about form then for me Struber with a much worse squad at Barnsley is even more impressive. Not his squad at all. And also playing some great football and keeping them up.

Obviously there's the record there by Cook in lower leagues.

But then Robins promotion last season he overachieved ridiculously at Coventry and played some great football.

Not sure how Cook's compared with the rest of league two and league one when he won promotion.

Technically Barnsley were relegated on points per games. 

19 minutes ago, cityexile said:

None of us know do we? It’s quite possible that CH did not want the job ‘as advertised’ and felt he could get a club with a bigger budget, dunno? We are an established mid table Championship side with a mid table budget. We have no right for CH to accept an offer from us if we made one? Maybe we did lose him because we were dicking around, but that is not a given. 

Nothing is a given but I’m pretty sure when they sacked LJ , Paul Cook wasn’t who they lined up to replace him.  They must have had someone in mind but didn’t work out 

Got nothing against Paul Cook but been saying for a Long time we need and experienced proven Championship manager, and not a manager who has won lower leagues (as good as they might be) its unbelievable to me that it has taken this long and yet we still have not got a manager in place. If SL was truly wanting us to be successful and try for promotion he would have already hired Chris Hughton, but we have not again we will be in the same position again in years to come just don't get why as a club we just don't learn... Seems SL is still scarred by the whole Steve Coppell mess...

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I agree his achievements to date make him a credible candidate - not sure he is yet ‘‘proven in the championship” though? He’s only been a manager for two seasons at this level hasn’t he? Apologies if I’ve got that incorrect - if I haven’t though, does managing for two seasons at this level and finishing 18th and mid-table (didn’t Wigan finish around 15th before their points deduction?) mean a manager is ‘proven’ ? I’m not saying you are wrong but it’s an interesting debate ...

I take on board what you’re saying, my reasoning that he is a proven Championship manager is that he’s done reasonably well on a small budget. Indeed his Wigan team finished only 4 points below us,(before the 12 points were deducted) were very impressive in the 2-2 draw at the Gate last season too. 

Quick check of the stats and it looks as though 2019/20 Wigan were a pretty solid mid-table team held back by profligate strikers who failed to finish their dinner. One thing we do have going for our squad is clinical finishing. So if he can replicate even the unremarkable chance creation figures, then combine that with our more deadly strikers, we could see a decent return of goals. Might help us move up the table.

I'm not going to expect a soaring, swashbuckling football team that clinically deconstructs every defence put in front of it, but he might be the guy to craft our squad into a top 8 team who with a stroke of luck can bag a play-off spot.

Probably not what most are expecting but seems to be about where we are as a club IMO.

2 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Well, what a surprise.

The owner states, with no room for doubt, that LJ got fired because he didn’t take us to the next level and know we are interviewing Paul Cook.

What remote proof is there that he can achieve that aim.

So what "remote proof" is there that ANY manager can achieve that aim ?

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Quick check of the stats and it looks as though 2019/20 Wigan were a pretty solid mid-table team held back by profligate strikers who failed to finish their dinner. One thing we do have going for our squad is clinical finishing. So if he can replicate even the unremarkable chance creation figures, then combine that with our more deadly strikers, we could see a decent return of goals. Might help us move up the table.

I'm not going to expect a soaring, swashbuckling football team that clinically deconstructs every defence put in front of it, but he might be the guy to craft our squad into a top 8 team who with a stroke of luck can bag a play-off spot.

Probably not what most are expecting but seems to be about where we are as a club IMO.

But Lansdown has said that top 6 is the minimum requirement. 

2 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Well, what a surprise.

The owner states, with no room for doubt, that LJ got fired because he didn’t take us to the next level and know we are interviewing Paul Cook.

What remote proof is there that he can achieve that aim.

He has previous promotions on his CV and has spent the last 2 seasons in the Championship. 

During the interview he may of set out his vision and it would aligned with the club. 

Look at Wilder at Sheff United. 

Just now, Dottie said:

But Lansdown has said that top 6 is the minimum requirement. 

So maybe Cook gets sacked in December if we're 19th.

I'm just saying that I, an idiot on the internet, would give Cook + our squad a decent chance of top 6. As I say it'll probably need a stroke of luck but the same was true under LJ. You well know that there's no guarantees in football, we also have a budget to work under and there's probably a dozen other clubs competing with us for the same small pool of managers.

If SL, JL and Ashton are trying to appoint someone who will guarantee top 6 then they'll be a long time looking.

2 minutes ago, Selred said:

He has previous promotions on his CV and has spent the last 2 seasons in the Championship. 

During the interview he may of set out his vision and it would aligned with the club. 

Look at Wilder at Sheff United. 

He has had Leam Richardson as his assistant on a regular basis , if he comes with him no room for Holden / Macca ? 

Which I agree with , no hand me downs , crap way to take a job 

Archived