IGNORED

Dean Holden Short Listed

bcfc01

2 minutes ago, daored said:

I think the issue may be the club want to keep Holden on as part of the coaching set up 

So possibly giving him an interview to keep him sweet?

I work in a school, and before our current Headteacher took over, the previous Head was promoted from Deputy. Bear with me here.

She applied for the position (as the current Deputy) whilst also saying that if she didn't get the job, there was no way that she could remain as the Deputy in the longterm, as she would be deemed a failure and lose all respect that the staff and parents had for her.

She applied, got the job as Head, but eventually left after about 18 months as it was too much for her. Anyway, my point is, if Holden is interviewed for the job as a token jesture, then if he doesn't get it (fingers crossed - nothing personal), in all likelihood, he will not be around for long afterwards, regardless of whether the club want to keep him on as a coach or not.

If he has applied, which is quite possible, then he obviously sees himself as a head coach/manager in the longterm anyway. So if he doesn't get it, he'll be up for another job soon.

19 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

After supporting this team for over 50 years, only five of which have really seen us successful, I am not quite ready to be told I am not a 'true' supporter, or that I am 'throwing anything out of anywhere'.

We cannot hear from the Lansdowns that PL football is the ambition in the very near term and then appoint one of the co-architects of our current situation.  True supporter or not, after half a century I AM entitled to say FFS I can find better things to do.

OK I understand your viewpoint but as another who has been supporting City for over 50 years (nearly 59 in my case) I just can't envisage a scenario where I would walk away. I want to see City in the PL, it is, after all what we strive for, but for me it's not the be all and end all of supporting City. Like me you will have seen City as 92nd in the league, but like many of the SAGS up the road I'd still be travelling home and away if we were in the national league. 

Lets be clear I don't want Dean Holden appointed as City's next head coach but it's out of my hands, and if its him he will have my support as long as he's in post. We've had a glimpse of what he might be like in the 9 post Covid matches to finish the season, but it may be different if he was put in permanent charge with a full pre-season to hone his ideas and systems. He wouldn't be the first head coach to start his managerial career at City. 

Just now, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

OK I understand your viewpoint but as another who has been supporting City for over 50 years (nearly 59 in my case) I just can't envisage a scenario where I would walk away. I want to see City in the PL, it is, after all what we strive for, but for me it's not the be all and end all of supporting City. Like me you will have seen City as 92nd in the league, but like many of the SAGS up the road is still be travelling home and away if we were in the national league. 

Lets be clear I don't want Dean Holden appointed as City's next head coach but it's out of my hands, and if its him he will have my support as long as he's in post. We've had a glimpse of what he might be like in the 9 post Covid matches to finish the season, but it may be different if he was put in permanent charge with a full pre-season to hone his ideas and systems. He wouldn't be the first head coach to start his managerial career at City. 

All very valid and well-reasoned.  It is however inconsistent with MA's bigging up the quality of the candidates, the Lansdown's talk of 'ambition' and the 4 week search.  I mean no disrespect to Dean Holden, but if it takes us 4 weeks to appoint him, what HAVE they been doing in the interim and why the secrecy?

Not sure what the fuss is.  If Deano applied, then it would be disrespectful not to put him on the shortlist.  That’s what usually happens in business if an existing deputy applies for a job.  I think they are right to interview him, and he may perform well at interview, but I still think it is highly unlikely that he would be appointed.

However, if he was appointed he would have my full support, as every manager has had during my lifetime.

Except Pulis.

Although Holden must be the least inspiring / ambitious / expensive appointment we could ever consider, some of the comments about walking way from the club are knee jerk ridiculous. The time to do that is if Holden takes us down. Because if Holden was appointed (wont happen) and he got us promoted you would look rather silly as you would have cut your nose off despite your face loving the City?

3 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

All very valid and well-reasoned.  It is however inconsistent with MA's bigging up the quality of the candidates, the Lansdown's talk of 'ambition' and the 4 week search.  I mean no disrespect to Dean Holden, but if it takes us 4 weeks to appoint him, what HAVE they been doing in the interim and why the secrecy?

Again, very valid reasoning but we don't know at what point Dean applied or even if he did. He might have been added to the interview list because, unknown to us, others we may have had on the shortlist have already ruled themselves out. But I really believe this is all moot as I don't expect him to be appointed. 

Reports have all along said that we would look for a young modern coach and if Holden is on a shortlist with Cook and Hughton then he is the only one that ticks those boxes. LJ with Holden improved us year on year (except this season) and got us close to the play-offs but ultimately failed. Maybe the powers that be feel that Holden could make that difference and understands the club structure and would provide a more seamless transition. He also knows the players coming through whereas a new man might jettison some of our best prospects in favour of new signings.

It is possible that the best candidate is right under our nose although it will be a brave move by the board and may come back to haunt them. If it is Dean then so be it maybe with a more senior appointment as Assistant or General Manager/Director of Football. That was something that was called for in Tinman and Millens time but never happened. A Joe Jordan type maybe.

15 minutes ago, Robbie C said:

The only possible justification for appointing Holden is if Lj had done a brilliant job and been poached by a PL club.  But he AND his coaches did an awful job with the resources they had. If Holden had no part in that, what was he doing at the club?

I am sure we would have thought Neil Harris or Gary Rowett unexciting appointments but have done well but they were managers , this guy is a number 2 in a failed set up , no experience , absolute crap if done and after a lifetime of support would just not bother next year 

Don't get me wrong, I'm impressed that we are looking at managers like Chris Hughton and Paul Cook, it shows we're moving in the right direction, both great managers.

With that being said, I feel like we are kidding ourselves. I mean can we really, and I mean can we really, kid ourselves? I don't think either of them can possibly compare to saying yes quite like Dean Holden can!

I'm going to reserve myself from the melodramatics until we know for sure but this would be a huge risk and the only appointment I really didn't want.

No disrespect to Dean because he's done a good job recently but that could just be the 'new manager bounce' that happens after a sacking and he doesn't carry any real head coach experience apart from a very brief spell as caretaker.

Also I personally think we need a whole new look at the squad and tactics. Obviously I really hope not but if he does get taken on I will support him through initial gritted teeth with the hope he proves me wrong.

5 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Reports have all along said that we would look for a young modern coach and if Holden is on a shortlist with Cook and Hughton then he is the only one that ticks those boxes. LJ with Holden improved us year on year (except this season) and got us close to the play-offs but ultimately failed. Maybe the powers that be feel that Holden could make that difference and understands the club structure and would provide a more seamless transition. He also knows the players coming through whereas a new man might jettison some of our best prospects in favour of new signings.

It is possible that the best candidate is right under our nose although it will be a brave move by the board and may come back to haunt them. If it is Dean then so be it maybe with a more senior appointment as Assistant or General Manager/Director of Football. That was something that was called for in Tinman and Millens time but never happened. A Joe Jordan type maybe.

What about a DoF who’s had previous as a manager, knows the club well, has previously managed his own youth academies in Spain and is now back looking after our loan players?

2 minutes ago, hantsred said:

Although Holden must be the least inspiring / ambitious / expensive appointment we could ever consider, some of the comments about walking way from the club are knee jerk ridiculous. The time to do that is if Holden takes us down. Because if Holden was appointed (wont happen) and he got us promoted you would look rather silly as you would have cut your nose off despite your face loving the City?

My personal experience, down the decades, is that 'walking away' is, in reality, more like drifting...other things come up, the trip to the Gate for a rendezvous with Jimmy Lumsden, Tony Fawthrop or Keith Millen is less enticing than with a proper manager...and before you know it you've not renewed your season ticket...it can happen...

...and you'll be back when they've appointed a Danny Wilson, Gary Johnson or Steve Cotterill.

Archived