IGNORED

Dean Holden Short Listed

bcfc01

Give Holden the job now while no crowds are allowed in, so everyone saying that they won't go or put any more money in won't have an effect anyway.

By the time crowds are allowed back, we'll be flying high, the anger will have disappeared and everyone will be flocking back to watch Deano's modern footballing masterclass. Or we'll be bottom of the table and he'll have been sacked.

Piece of piss this appointing managers lark.

9 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Reports have all along said that we would look for a young modern coach and if Holden is on a shortlist with Cook and Hughton then he is the only one that ticks those boxes. LJ with Holden improved us year on year (except this season) and got us close to the play-offs but ultimately failed. Maybe the powers that be feel that Holden could make that difference and understands the club structure and would provide a more seamless transition. He also knows the players coming through whereas a new man might jettison some of our best prospects in favour of new signings.

It is possible that the best candidate is right under our nose although it will be a brave move by the board and may come back to haunt them. If it is Dean then so be it maybe with a more senior appointment as Assistant or General Manager/Director of Football. That was something that was called for in Tinman and Millens time but never happened. A Joe Jordan type maybe.

Interesting you mention Joe Jordan because he only had coaching experience, not managerial/head coach experience when he came to City. Alan Dicks also falls into that category and Russell Osman, but thats a bad example. 

24 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

OK I understand your viewpoint but as another who has been supporting City for over 50 years (nearly 59 in my case) I just can't envisage a scenario where I would walk away. I want to see City in the PL, it is, after all what we strive for, but for me it's not the be all and end all of supporting City. Like me you will have seen City as 92nd in the league, but like many of the SAGS up the road I'd still be travelling home and away if we were in the national league. 

Lets be clear I don't want Dean Holden appointed as City's next head coach but it's out of my hands, and if its him he will have my support as long as he's in post. We've had a glimpse of what he might be like in the 9 post Covid matches to finish the season, but it may be different if he was put in permanent charge with a full pre-season to hone his ideas and systems. He wouldn't be the first head coach to start his managerial career at City. 

This is a prime example of the definition of madness. 

Repeating the same mistake over and over again and expecting a different outcome. 

From the sublime (Hughton) to the ridiculous (Holden). 

1 minute ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Interesting you mention Joe Jordan because he only had coaching experience, not managerial/head coach experience when he came to City. Alan Dicks also falls into that category and Russell Osman, but thats a bad example. 

Joe Jordan was a seasoned International with a superb name behind him. Dean Holden doesn't come close in that respect unfortunately. 

21 minutes ago, Smokey said:

It's Keith Millen all over again. It was one thing Johnson not learning from his mistakes but it also looks like Lansdown wont learn from his.

Will wait before I fully throw my toys out of the pram.

Actually it is far worse than then.

Millen got appointed when Coppell unexpectedly walked out on us & had been at the club for about 7 years by then as assistant to both Tinnion & GJ before Coppell’s week or two in charge. He was therefore a sensible (cheap) option to take over in those unusual circumstances.

We chose to dispense with LJ presumably as a result of our terrible form immediately post lockdown & then said we were looking for someone to “take us to the next level”.

Appointing the previous head coach’s assistant because he beat Middlesbrough in these circumstances would be absolutely ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, Roe said:

I like Gregor but this is nonsense imo.

To be fair he hasn't got anything wrong so far has he? He hasn't got on the Gerrard or Hughton bandwagon with the national papers and has been proved right with timelines and nothing being close.

NO, NO, NO.

The last couple of games provided more evidence that there was a need for a new approach for football at AG. 

In my opinion this would not take us forward...it would take us in the opposite direction.....NO LJ Lite for me.....get rid. 

If Holden gets appointed and then fails miserably, will the people that gave him the job be affected? I doubt it, this club is an easy touch, soft from the top to the bottom so will continue to mosey along hoping that we have a freak season ( getting results for a full season and not just half of one) then get promoted so that they can say their "system" works

I don't think they will, but if they do give it to Holden it can only be seen as a great big **** you lot,  to the fans.

I said I'd be prepared to give whoever gets the job a chance. Holden has had his chance, with LJ and JM

My god, I'm getting sick of all this nonsense.

21 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Actually it is far worse than then.

Millen got appointed when Coppell unexpectedly walked out on us & had been at the club for about 7 years by then as assistant to both Tinnion & GJ before Coppell’s week or two in charge. He was therefore a sensible (cheap) option to take over in those unusual circumstances.

We chose to dispense with LJ presumably as a result of our terrible form immediately post lockdown & then said we were looking for someone to “take us to the next level”.

Appointing the previous head coach’s assistant because he beat Middlesbrough in these circumstances would be absolutely ridiculous.

Spot on. 

Millen had also done a decent job whilst we waited for coppell.

I cant think of any scenario where going to 'the next level' includes holden as manager 

29 minutes ago, stevep38 said:

Joe Jordan was a seasoned International with a superb name behind him. Dean Holden doesn't come close in that respect unfortunately. 

What has his abilities as a player to do with abilities as a manager. Bobby Charlton was a better player than Jordan but was a disaster as manager of Preston. 

6 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

What has his abilities as a player to do with abilities as a manager. Bobby Charlton was a better player than Jordan but was a disaster as manager of Preston. 

But Joe Jordan was a giant of a leader on the pitch...it didn't seem at all strange that he stepped up when TC left.

EDIT: that was a different world though - he was 'player-manager' for a bit wasn't he?

Archived