IGNORED

Dean Holden Short Listed

bcfc01

2 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

He did a reasonable job in the final few games so don't see why this would be a bad thing, SL has made internal appointments in the past and he'd have the advantage of knowing the squad strengths and weaknesses. Time is on his side with the new season not that far away

Played 5, won 2, lost 2, drew 1.

Gives you approx 63 points from the season..............

2 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Played 5, won 2, lost 2, drew 1.

Gives you approx 63 points from the season..............

Wasn't it two draws and one loss?

Playoff pushing if extrapolated- on the edge of anyway.

Definitely not pro Holden as manager though. Keep him around, give him a bit more of a voice- sure.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

If he said he will play O'leary, Moore, Morrell, Walsh, Szmodics and any others. And not need to bring in much. That may convince Lansdown!

I could go in and tell SL I will play those players. I am a big fan of all of them. I wouldn’t be a good head coach though. Dean Holden undoubtedly better than me but the gap between me and him could be similar to the gap between him and Hughton. Or maybe not. Point is, at this moment, it would be a terrible hire. He could win all 46 games if hired but it wouldn’t be a great appointment the day it happens

14 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

If it’s Holden (which it won’t be) he will be getting all his help & direction from LJ. It will essentially still be Johnson in charge. Would be hilarious if it happens mind, be the biggest “**** off” to the fans from Johnny boy for forcing his beloved out.

But i am 1000000% sure it won’t be Holden, it is funny to see the reactions though ?

Sorry, but I think that is a bollox statement.  Fine if you really believe that.

If there one thing we saw from Holden in those 5 games it was that he had his own mind.  Here’s a bloke who’s quite likely to be losing his job, and in one interview he seemed really choked.  He was putting himself in the shop window, if nothing else.  He was showing he had his own methods.

He played Benkovic (from the wilderness under LJ), left O’Dowda out who’s started all 4 post-covid games under LJ giving him 13 minutes off the bench.  Played the same side 3 games on the trot, played the same system 5 games on the trot.  Doesn’t sound like LJ was in his head to me?

After the feelings of total disbelief, the more I think about this, the more I think GMC is just trying to get his clicks up.  Didn’t he finish his piece by saying ‘more to follow’?  He’s probably hoping all City fans will be frantically clicking on the Post website every few minutes to see if there are any updates.  

I bet when we do appoint someone else, he’ll do a piece and say DH was never seriously in the running.

It’s got to the point now where you don’t know what to believe any more.

This would be a ludicrous appointment but as I’ve said on another thread nobody has any clue whatsoever what’s going on with this appointment.

I’m absolutely prepared to be disappointed and underwhelmed by whoever we bring in, it’s the City way after all. But I’m at least going to wait until we’ve actually appointed someone before I lose my shit about it.... 

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Sorry, but I think that is a bollox statement.  Fine if you really believe that.

If there one thing we saw from Holden in those 5 games it was that he had his own mind.  Here’s a bloke who’s quite likely to be losing his job, and in one interview he seemed really choked.  He was putting himself in the shop window, if nothing else.  He was showing he had his own methods.

He played Benkovic (from the wilderness under LJ), left O’Dowda out who’s started all 4 post-covid games under LJ giving him 13 minutes off the bench.  Played the same side 3 games on the trot, played the same system 5 games on the trot.  Doesn’t sound like LJ was in his head to me?

Worth shortlisting for that alone.

33 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

GCMG tweets (at just after 6pm):

'To clarify: shortlisted candidates still in the race to be next #BristolCity head coach include Chris Hughton, Paul Cook, Dean Holden - and 2-3 unknown others. Second round interviews now; appointment in next few days. (Players were told 7-10 days last week). No one in the lead.'

Players told what 7-10 days last week ?  That would have been before the PNE game and would players really be informed of who is on a shortlist.

BS I say.

43 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

This might not be a popular opinion, but I don't hate this idea. I'd have Holden over Cook.

My thinking is that he knows our squad, including youth and the loan army, so no lengthy integration or 'missing' some of our promising young players (Walsh, for example, seems oven ready. A new manager might opt to shop).

And second, he uses 3-5-2, a formation I feel yields the best results for us. Defensive solidity is key to any team.

You obviously know nothing of paul cooks managerial history to say you’d rather have Holden over him. We all got opinions but that’s frankly ridiculous 

SL,& MA, have known DH for more than long enough to know if he has the ability to take us to the next level.  I dont think for one minute he is in with a shout. It would have been done and dusted by now if it iwas to be Holden.  truth is we havent a clue whats going on. I said before we may have offered the job to someone but been turned down, it happens. People apply for positions but dont always know what they will be expected to do. Maybe the budget is too tight for CH, its all guess work. Ive supported for over 50 years and will continue to do so but if its Holden, or any other LJ clone, I will be hugley dissapointed. SL wants us to go to the next level, but does he mean up or down?

It wouldn't shock me, nothing ever does with City.....but I can't see it. 

MA wouldn't be able to give us his usual spin about "all the fantastic candidates we've had but we just felt that Dean Holden was the strongest applicant".  Not even MA could say that with a straight face!

35 minutes ago, stevep38 said:

Was meaning respect from other players, potential players having been there and done it playing wise at one of the worlds leading clubs in Man United. And he wasn't a bad manager either.

I don't argue he was a reasonable manager, although he did go back to being a member of Harry Redknapp's backroom staff. The point I was making was that being an international standard footballer, playing at world class clubs doesn't automatically make you a good manager no matter how much respect you have. I used Bobby Charlton as an example because no one gets more respect than him and he too played for Manchester United, playing more games and scoring more goals at both Man Utd and international level. We don't know whether Holden, despite his lowlier status, would be a better manager than Jordan, and won't know unless he's appointed. 

It would be nice if for once we were not a club to test out unproven managers that  have won nothing and in Holden's case not managed before. And for once appointed someone who has managed and gained promotion. So let Holden learn his trade somewhere else. 

13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I would have Cook over him. But agree that it's not the worst idea to give Holden a go.

On the pitch I want the new manager to do similar to what Holden was in those 5 games.

3-5-2 but for me we need to sort that midfield out and Wells needs to be the main man with a partner with movement alongside him.

Or even a 3-6-1 system that Robins used at Coventry. A double defensive pivot in midfield. And 2 attacking midfielders with freedom in behind Wells.

Mate, I agree with about 99% of what you say on this forum, but now you've clearly lost your mind. There's a universe somewhere with an alternate version of our world in which Holden becomes our manager and plays a 3-6-1 and it's a scary place. We must not go there. 

Could he have been interviewed, not to appoint as manager/head coach, but to work under whoever is to be appointed?

The plan could be that DH would work as assistant, with the aim of his being promoted to fill the manager's role when it next becomes vacant, in the same way  that clubs like Brentford have promoted from within ( it's not done them too badly!) It would also give the club the continuity that the club's strategy seems to need.

Archived