IGNORED

Dean Holden Short Listed

bcfc01

If we appoint Holden the club is  effectively saying that he will be a better manager than Hughton, Cook and all the other amazing applicants we are told have applied.  But this is Bristol City so I would not be surprised.

4 minutes ago, Redland said:

If we appoint Holden the club is  effectively saying that he will be a better manager than Hughton, Cook and all the other amazing applicants we are told have applied.  But this is Bristol City so I would not be surprised.

Or it could be the club saying, we accept he isn't better than Hughton or Cook but we can't afford them under the current climate and need to cut our cloth appropriately to ride out this storm.

1 minute ago, Loco Rojo said:

Or it could be the club saying, we accept he isn't better than Hughton or Cook but we can't afford them under the current climate and need to cut our cloth appropriately to ride out this storm.

What it would  say is we want control , don’t want to be challenged at all and the fans ( who they know don’t want him ) can do one , we simply don’t care 

2 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

What it would  say is we want control , don’t want to be challenged at all and the fans ( who they know don’t want him ) can do one , we simply don’t care 

That'll be it.

4 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Then why not appoint him at the outset and avoid the farce of the process that we are currently going through. If we can’t afford decent manager we should not have started trying to find one.

If the club appoint Holden........then I will follow that statue of Colston in to Bristol Docks, to literally drown my sorrows  After 4 weeks of BS, if they end up appointing from within, it will be the biggest anti climax since we played Brighton in  the Play off final.  Please God.........NO!?

4 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

They already have control, in reality we don't challenge them but they do care, otherwise why would they plough so much money in the the ground, squad and training facilties?

2 minutes ago, Redland said:

Then why not appoint him at the outset and avoid the farce of the process that we are currently going through. If we can’t afford decent manager we should not have started trying to find one.

Who knows. Perhaps they are preparing for the future but wanted to interview other candidates (do the due diligence part) to understand the options they have before deciding on how the coming season will financially impact the club. 

Makes sense in terms of continuity and financially. He did a reasonable job with zero midfield as caretaker. 
If he were to be appointed, just back him and see what happens. Actually, could about 4,000 of you cancel ST’s in protest so that I might get to see most games ?

8 minutes ago, Redland said:

We have tried continuity with Brian Tinnion, Keith Millen and Lee Johnson. Worked out well didn’t it!

Tinnion and Millen were are at a different time. Back then we had little or no long term strategy and in Millen's case, he was appointed with the club in a bit of a shambles following Coppell's departure. 

LJ can hardly be considered as an appointment from within as he was already a manager at Barnsley, even so it can hardly be described as working badly as we went from a championship/league 1 yo-yo team to one consolidated in the top half of the championship, even if the last 12 months were frustrating.

Also, I doubt that Tinnion and Millen were being groomed to take over from their respective managers neither were they working within a structure designed to accommodate continuity of that type.

Brentford proves the idea can work as Frank is outperforming his predecessor.

4 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Makes sense in terms of continuity and financially. He did a reasonable job with zero midfield as caretaker. 
If he were to be appointed, just back him and see what happens. Actually, could about 4,000 of you cancel ST’s in protest so that I might get to see most games ?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

I think Mark Ashton needs to be very careful about what this appointment says about him.  Another inexperienced head coach will give a very clear message about what the priorities are at the club...

Hopefully Gregor McGregoryface has no info and is just filling space again.

1 minute ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Im not unhappy, nor is it unexpected, he knows the club the role and the vision and has results of a sort, managers have to start somewhere

Yep........I can think of a really good place he could start.

2 hours ago, Dottie said:

I do hope Dean Holden doesn’t read these posts, it’s a bit brutal!

Yep.

I don't understand the personal vitriolic stuff - way way over the top and says a lot about some on here.

This whole interview saga is starting to sound like something out of "The Office":

Dean to SL "I did really well at the end of the season, Steve. Don't I deserve an interview? LJ taught me all he knows, only lost 1 game so job's a gud 'un. "

SL to Dean "'Of course you do Dean. Come in tomorrow - you're on my shortlist."

Dean to himself "Got a real shot at this ?"

SL to MA  "Hasn't got a prayer that one but'll keep him happy for a few days until he gets the sack and interviewing him will no doubt send OTIB into an uproar".

JL to SL "OK if I feed GmG some titbits Dad?

SL to JL "Yes son, go ahead but don't say anything about the secret ones." 

SL to himself "They're all expecting Hughton. Hah, they don't know Jamie Mac has had a secret third interview and has it in the bag. Continuity, young up and coming coach, BCFC legacy, won't rock the boat and will let me poke into team affairs .... what more could I want? (ponders...) Promotion? No guarantees so might as well enjoy myself. 

SL to MA "Mark, can you do your thing please...?

MA to GT on Sound of the City "Let me very clear, Geoff. We conducted the most thorough interview process in the history of this Football Club. The calibre of the candidates (which I can't divulge for obvious reasons) demonstrates how far this football club has come. We're on the cusp of something very big, believe me. In Jamie we have an outstanding young coach who's played for and loves Bristol City and who has learned under the tutelage of, and we really believe can build on, Lee's great work to take us to the next level. Which is where we want to be. I must also take this opportunity of thanking our owner, Steve, who's always prepared to invest in, and promote the best interests of, Bristol City Football Club."

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I would have Cook over him. But agree that it's not the worst idea to give Holden a go.

On the pitch I want the new manager to do similar to what Holden was in those 5 games.

3-5-2 but for me we need to sort that midfield out and Wells needs to be the main man with a partner with movement alongside him.

Or even a 3-6-1 system that Robins used at Coventry. A double defensive pivot in midfield. And 2 attacking midfielders with freedom in behind Wells.

No, clearly it isn’t the “worst idea”, because giving the job to some bloke who lives on Turbo Island & shouts at passers by would definitely be worse.

But for a club who claim to be trying to get promoted to pick someone whose claims to fame are they have managed a League One team for 15 games & beat Middlesbrough once, it is really a pretty shit one.

Just now, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Grow up!

The best PERSON for the job is the best person

They are not tainted by being the actual Ex Manager. 

I wish our fans had that thing, what's it called. Oh yeah patience

FWIW i have just hit and hoped an application for a much larger level job, despite working in 'diseased' infrastructure and just bagged it subject to salary confirmation.  Was I experienced in the field? Not at a higher level, however my expertese was more than all the other applicants and the people interviewing.   If you are good enough it doesnt really matter what level you are at, you are good enough. Simples

Yawn ?

unfortunately my feeling is DH was part of the LJ problem and a clear change is needed and that dose not involve DH or JM, we did not exactly storm up the league in his 5 games in charge 2 narrow wins against struggling opposition and we still conceded in every game (ok some of these not altogether down to DH) we should have had a new manager in the club if not actually in charge with a few games to go to give the players something to impress for, and to give them a good head start with the squad.. Just Don't see DH taking us forward...

2 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Grow up!

The best PERSON for the job is the best person

They are not tainted by being the actual Ex Manager. 

I wish our fans had that thing, what's it called. Oh yeah patience

FWIW i have just hit and hoped an application for a much larger level job, despite working in 'diseased' infrastructure and just bagged it subject to salary confirmation.  Was I experienced in the field? Not at a higher level, however my expertese was more than all the other applicants and the people interviewing.   If you are good enough it doesnt really matter what level you are at, you are good enough. Simples

Yep, I did the same once, an Engineering lecturer at Bristol University, was offered the job but couldn't accept as the 50% paycut wasn't acceptable to me!

Some bed wetting going on in this thread. The guy has applied for a job which he currently holds/held as caretaker. The club officials must like what they have seen from DH for him to still be in the running if what we are led to believe is correct. The guy has his badges the same as the other candidates, what he doesn't have is the experience or a reputation. If he does get the job it will be on merit. If he doesn't then there's candidates who interviewed better than he did. Im sure he will forge a great future away from Bristol City if that is the case. 

Archived