IGNORED

Dean Holden Short Listed

bcfc01

I don’t necessarily think Holden would do a bad job but after years of Dire football under Johnson, we as a club are in desperate need of a lift. We need a manager to inspire the fans, generate some excitement and bring a fresh approach. Unfortunately for Dean, he will always be encapsulated under the Johnson cloud of negativity and imo it would be a huge error for the club to continue down that path, alienating fans and potentially deflating the players. 

12 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

No, clearly it isn’t the “worst idea”, because giving the job to some bloke who lives on Turbo Island & shouts at passers by would definitely be worse.

But for a club who claim to be trying to get promoted to pick someone whose claims to fame are they have managed a League One team for 15 games & beat Middlesbrough once, it is really a pretty shit one.

Don't tell me that guy was interviewed too...?

3 minutes ago, erndogz said:

Some bed wetting going on in this thread. The guy has applied for a job which he currently holds/held as caretaker. The club officials must like what they have seen from DH for him to still be in the running if what we are led to believe is correct. The guy has his badges the same as the other candidates, what he doesn't have is the experience or a reputation. If he does get the job it will be on merit. If he doesn't then there's candidates who interviewed better than he did. Im sure he will forge a great future away from Bristol City if that is the case. 

If he should get the job, are you absolutely certain, with no doubt in your mind.....that he would be getting it strictly on merit?

17 minutes ago, Warwickshire Red said:

MA to GT on Sound of the City "Let me very clear, Geoff. We conducted the most thorough interview process in the history of this Football Club. The calibre of the candidates (which I can't divulge for obvious reasons) demonstrates how far this football club has come. We're on the cusp of something very big, believe me. In Jamie we have an outstanding young coach who's played for and loves Bristol City and who has learned under the tutelage of, and we really believe can build on, Lee's great work to take us to the next level. Which is where we want to be. I must also take this opportunity of thanking our owner, Steve, who's always prepared to invest in, and promote the best interests of, Bristol City Football Club."

This is so terrifying close to the truth that I can hear his voice as I read it. 

6 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

I don’t necessarily think Holden would do a bad job but after years of Dire football under Johnson, we as a club are in desperate need of a lift. We need a manager to inspire the fans, generate some excitement and bring a fresh approach. Unfortunately for Dean, he will always be encapsulated under the Johnson cloud of negativity and imo it would be a huge error for the club to continue down that path, alienating fans and potentially deflating the players. 

Sensible comment ??

I can see why you’d feel like that.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wasn't it two draws and one loss?

Playoff pushing if extrapolated- on the edge of anyway.

Definitely not pro Holden as manager though. Keep him around, give him a bit more of a voice- sure.

Yes your correct, ignore me I’m losing the plot ?

11 minutes ago, erndogz said:

Some bed wetting going on in this thread. The guy has applied for a job which he currently holds/held as caretaker. The club officials must like what they have seen from DH for him to still be in the running if what we are led to believe is correct. The guy has his badges the same as the other candidates, what he doesn't have is the experience or a reputation. If he does get the job it will be on merit. If he doesn't then there's candidates who interviewed better than he did. Im sure he will forge a great future away from Bristol City if that is the case. 

If he gets the job it will be on merit ? Do me a favour , any dick can have a good interview and spout crap about how great they are , but then you look at what they have done etc and no way does DH get it on merit 

17 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

If Deano gets the job, shall we all sing Dexy's "Geno" just changing Deano for Geno? Oh oh Deano! .....no? Please  yerselfs......

This is an important consideration and may just be the reason why Johnson Jr got the boot - he didn't have his own song.

His Dad had "Bounce around the ground".

"Terry Cooper's Red n White Army".

"Joe! Joe! Joe Jordan!"

And of course, "F-k off Osman, F-k Off Osman". 

3 hours ago, RedRoss said:

No disrespect to Dean because he's done a good job recently but that could just be the 'new manager bounce' that happens after a sacking and he doesn't carry any real head coach experience apart from a very brief spell as caretaker.

Unfortunately he does have managerial experience.

He was in charge of Oldham after Johnson left and after getting the job permanently he was sacked 10 months later after just 6 wins in his 39 games, a win percentage of 15%...

2 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Unfortunately he does have managerial experience.

He was in charge of Oldham after Johnson left and after getting the job permanently he was sacked 10 months later after just 6 wins in his 39 games, a win percentage of 15%...

Where you get that data from Aaron?  Transfermarkt shows:

image.thumb.png.c0eba50ee5454daf0d867ccdb4656dce.png

I trust the board to interview and select the right person for the job... can't say I know a great deal about any of the candidates but having conducted interviews on a number of occasions before you'd be looking for:

1. Clear vision

2. Aligned with clubs philosophy

3. Ability to implement style  and gain a response from those under his leadership

Point 3 is the trickiest because it can be evidence based. Someone demonstrating how they've implemented their way in a previous position would be more desirable than one you take a punt on unless you really believe something special comes through the other points.

That's the reason I dont think Holden and others similar are as much in contention for the role than others like hughton etc.

13 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

This is an important consideration and may just be the reason why Johnson Jr got the boot - he didn't have his own song.

His Dad had "Bounce around the ground".

"Terry Cooper's Red n White Army".

"Joe! Joe! Joe Jordan!"

And of course, "F-k off Osman, F-k Off Osman". 

We could follow "Deano" with "Come on Irene"

34 minutes ago, erndogz said:

I don't really see how. He's been an integral part of a coaching team that has seen us have a very lacklustre season. If he gets the job because he interviewed well, then there's something wrong with the recruitment process IMO. 

5 hours ago, Monkeh said:

If that happens the club can **** off, im done with them if we appoint holden,

I'll go and watch Bath or Clevedon instead 

Would say a hell of a lot about the club and would be little change from LJ reign. Depressing

9 minutes ago, Cannybluff said:

I trust the board to interview and select the right person for the job... can't say I know a great deal about any of the candidates but having conducted interviews on a number of occasions before you'd be looking for:

1. Clear vision

3. Ability to implement style  and gain a response from those under his leadership

Point 3 is the trickiest because it can be evidence based. Someone demonstrating how they've implemented their way in a previous position would be more desirable than one you take a punt on unless you really believe something special comes through the other points.

That's the reason I dont think Holden and others similar are as much in contention for the role than others like hughton etc.

I bet your fun at parties?

13 minutes ago, Cannybluff said:

1. Clear vision

You trust the board to select the right person. That's where you could be disappointed. How often has Lansdown got that bit right.

So I assume that by making the last short- listed four, the interview panel are implying that the only reason for our abysmal failure to create an identity, shape, and any form of resemblance of team play was LJs management. 

So Mark Ashton and his team’s failure to replace transferred players with those having the right DNA, skill sets, ability to work as a team, the lack of physicality, leaders and desire to win at all costs, the complete absence of a midfield worthy of the name, that’s all LJs fault. Holden and the coaching staffs inability to get players to be able to perform even footballing basics, like passing to each other and creating space, that’s all LJs fault.

While no fan of LJ, that seems harsh and, for me, indicates something rotten at our Club.

3 minutes ago, Swede said:

He doesn't want to move away from his North West home base. I don't think he's done anything special. Do we need another lower league type manager at this stage.

Maybe a few years ago as he left Pompey but how do you know that now?

The bloke has been a success everywhere he has been. He’s showed he can deliver in this division with what he’s done with Wigan after all their troubles. 3 promotions on his CV and even though they have been in different leagues, he clearly has the credentials to build a successful side.

1 minute ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Ahh forgive me, I thought he had the job until mid January 2016, not realising that after his tenure he then stayed on as an assistant to Darren Kelly and then David Dunn.

Either way not impressive is it 

I'd honestly rather have kept LJ than appoint Holden. 

I would at least have confidence in LJ keeping us up. 

Holden would be a massive risk. Didn't do much to impress me when he was caretaker. Think the good results were more of a combination of poor opposition and honeymoon period than anything else. 

25 minutes ago, RedRock said:

So I assume that by making the last short- listed four, the interview panel are implying that the only reason for our abysmal failure to create an identity, shape, and any form of resemblance of team play was LJs management. 

So Mark Ashton and his team’s failure to replace transferred players with those having the right DNA, skill sets, ability to work as a team, the lack of physicality, leaders and desire to win at all costs, the complete absence of a midfield worthy of the name, that’s all LJs fault. Holden and the coaching staffs inability to get players to be able to perform even footballing basics, like passing to each other and creating space, that’s all LJs fault.

While no fan of LJ, that seems harsh and, for me, indicates something rotten at our Club.

I think that is a fair set of comments....but it’s football....and it’s always a one man blame game....usually the manager, sometimes the players, but rarely the people above them.

8 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Ahh forgive me, I thought he had the job until mid January 2016, not realising that after his tenure he then stayed on as an assistant to Darren Kelly and then David Dunn.

I forgiveness needed, I thought I’d missed something, so was only checking myself!

Archived