IGNORED

Dean Holden Short Listed

bcfc01

There is no doubt we improved under Holden, but it would have been pretty difficult not to improve wouldn't it.

I did like his positive selections, how he set us up, consistency in line-up and approach to the games - but that's much easier when you have nothing to lose, and are under no pressure whatsoever. There was nothing at stake at all. 

Whilst LJ took the fall, and rightly so, you would assume that his Assistant had a big hand in supporting LJ in the choices and decisions he made. If Holden disagreed with LJs approach, then he should have walked. He's well respected in the game and finding another role wouldn't have been a problem I'm sure. As far as I'm concerned, Dean Holden has to be at least partially culpable for the shocking and abject performances that led to LJs sacking. 

I really don't see any merit for him being considered at all - unless of course it really is all about a quiet life for those that sit above him. 

24 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Maybe a few years ago as he left Pompey but how do you know that now?

The bloke has been a success everywhere he has been. He’s showed he can deliver in this division with what he’s done with Wigan after all their troubles. 3 promotions on his CV and even though they have been in different leagues, he clearly has the credentials to build a successful side.

Lee Johnson was seen as being a bright, up and coming success with his coaching ideas at Oldham.

My point is that we are at a level where everything is geared to that next step up to the promised land. The multi million pound stadium. The new training faclilties which will be used by all areas of the football club. The ever improving playing staff. The increased fan base. 

Everything is geared up except for the coaching staff. The rugby club has set the example and have invested in its coaching staff.

With lots of talk about which players will leave and who is signed to replace them this summer I strongly believe that the most important signing we make is not an experienced midfielder but an experienced head coach.

43 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

The bloke has been a success everywhere he has been. He’s showed he can deliver in this division with what he’s done with Wigan after all their troubles. 3 promotions on his CV and even though they have been in different leagues, he clearly has the credentials to build a successful side.

He will keep us up.

Doubt we would trouble the top 6

1 minute ago, Swede said:

Lee Johnson was seen as being a bright, up and coming success with his coaching ideas at Oldham.

My point is that we are at a level where everything is geared to that next step up to the promised land. The multi million pound stadium. The new training faclilties which will be used by all areas of the football club. The ever improving playing staff. The increased fan base. 

Everything is geared up except for the coaching staff. The rugby club has set the example and have invested in its coaching staff.

With lots of talk about which players will leave and who is signed to replace them this summer I strongly believe that the most important signing we make is not an experienced midfielder but an experienced head coach.

Lee Johnson did nothing before he came here. Can’t really say the same about PC who has been involved in 3 successful teams. 

I get your point though.

46 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Their troubles are very recent tbh, ie the start of July. 

That said I was impressed that they kept going, kept playing even after being plunged into administration, into trouble from a clear blue sky.

7 minutes ago, Swede said:

What is the cost of football equivalent of Pat Lam and coaching staff?

Do coaching and managerial wages- plus cost of changes-count towards the rugby salary cap? They do in terms of FFP.

I do see what you're getting at though, but I'm unsure how strong a comparison can be drawn.

5 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Holden will not get the job. Someone posted an interested thought on twitter....leak Holden to the press, then when we go for Cook people will be happy it’s not Holden 

better to go from Holden to Cook.....then from Hughton to Cook 

Either way, this stinks to me. WTF is Holden got to offer? Cheap option. End off!!!

19 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Holden will not get the job. Someone posted an interested thought on twitter....leak Holden to the press, then when we go for Cook people will be happy it’s not Holden 

better to go from Holden to Cook.....then from Hughton to Cook 

Like the logic.

Could extend it to a Cook, Lowe or a Robins Manager scenario with Holden being retained as an assistant (saving us a few £’s compensation). Sold to supporters who want a ‘clean sweep’ and avoidance of a ‘business as usual’ outcome, by trying to convince us how lucky we are to have retained the chap given he only narrowly missed out on getting the top job. 

2 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

what did Ashton say about a new manager  no stones un turned. And he comes up with Dean.  if true what a complete waste of time. 

Not sure, wasn't it this?

"I am leaving no stone ,rock, or pebble unturned in my search for the next Head Coach and I continue to fish in ponds, rivers, and lakes to ensure the next Head Coach has the right credentials"

I’m wondering if the club are now looking at Brentford, when Dean Smith left they appointed Thomas Frank who was promoted when Smith left for Villa. I’m not saying I agree with Holden being in the frame but may explain the clubs thinking ?

What I would say is Brentford had a philosophy and Frank followed on from Smith , I wouldn’t be so sure if have one anymore 

I've said it in a different thread. I think Holden should be retained as a coach in the new regime but not be appointed manager or assistant. 

His 5 game tenure wasn't bad 2 wins (admittedly against struggling teams but we do always seem to lose them), 2 draws and a defeat to Swansea which we could have got something out of but I don't think he should be retained as a manager or assistant because as it has been stated he has to take some of the blame for the old regime with LJ. 

But,but what about all the squillions Uncle Steve has spent on us?

Surely he can appoint who he likes.

After all, we owe everything to SL......

That was the attitude from some when it was suggested BCFC was a plaything for Uncle Steve.

Now Holdens in the frame, Lansdowns a frickin idiot, and everyone is after a ST refund.

SL will appoint who he wants and we can all do one.

His club. His land. His rules.

Holden playing Ashley Williams again as soon as he was back from his ban wound me up. 

After his sending off I never wanted to see him in a City shirt again, I worry that if Holden gets the job he'll actually be offered a contract. 

Let's not forget, the two teams we beat were terrible. Hull ended up finishing last & Boro finished 5 points above the drop zone. 

I also wouldn't keep him or McAllister on in a coaching capacity. 

15 minutes ago, daored said:

I’m wondering if the club are now looking at Brentford, when Dean Smith left they appointed Thomas Frank who was promoted when Smith left for Villa. I’m not saying I agree with Holden being in the frame but may explain the clubs thinking ?

What I would say is Brentford had a philosophy and Frank followed on from Smith , I wouldn’t be so sure if have one anymore 

Thomas Frank's background is nothing like Dean Holden's.

5 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I’m not saying it is , but my point is the club look at others and try to copy the model. But yes you’re right Frank was a manager in his own right before going to Brentford 

9 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

If it's done properly though it does work, look at Liverpool in the 70's and 80's following Shankly's death, all the managers were appointed from within and they had total success over 2 decades, none of those new managers had any previous experience as a manager but the system worked. The Liverpool fans weren't throwing their toys out of the pram because they didn't get a 'big name'.

Quite honestly if Dean Holden was to be appointed the majority of fans would be very unhappy.

Hes a right nice guy and gives his al,l but lets be honest, if the club wants to move to a higher level the new coach has to have a wealth of experience.

It has to be CH or PC then, preferably CH as this will give the fans a massive lift and sign of intent.

31 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

If it's done properly though it does work, look at Liverpool in the 70's and 80's following Shankly's death, all the managers were appointed from within and they had total success over 2 decades, none of those new managers had any previous experience as a manager but the system worked. The Liverpool fans weren't throwing their toys out of the pram because they didn't get a 'big name'.

So something that worked around 40 years ago for a club that was already by far the best in the country but doesn’t seem to have worked very well anywhere else since is a good example?

Ok..

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

So something that worked around 40 years ago for a club that was already by far the best in the country but doesn’t seem to have worked very well anywhere else since is a good example?

Ok..

That's a bit of a sweeping statement, as someone else mentioned we have an example of it being successful this season with Brentford and there are plenty of other examples where it's worked.

1 hour ago, daored said:

The difference being is the team had a style and philosophy of playing. We have neither and to put it onto Holden's shoulders is unfair and would be negligent of our board.

1 minute ago, ashton_fan said:

That's a bit of a sweeping statement, as someone else mentioned we have an example of it being successful this season with Brentford and there are plenty of other examples where it's worked.

Frank succeeded Smith, but both he and Warburton, (the previous 2 managers in this process) came from outside the club.

Brentford’s model is completely different from any other club at our level, they have no Academy, run a B team & use a moneyball transfer strategy with a huge emphasis in particular on the Danish football scene.

Far too many people glibly say “we should copy Brentford”, indeed The Post ran an article saying something along those lines this week, without ever bothering to try to understand exactly what it is.

Thinking their success is just because Frank was already at the club is an incredibly simplistic explanation.

Archived