Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Dean Holden Short Listed

It wouldn't shock me, nothing ever does with City.....but I can't see it. 

MA wouldn't be able to give us his usual spin about "all the fantastic candidates we've had but we just felt that Dean Holden was the strongest applicant".  Not even MA could say that with a straight face!

• Like 4
35 minutes ago, stevep38 said:

Was meaning respect from other players, potential players having been there and done it playing wise at one of the worlds leading clubs in Man United. And he wasn't a bad manager either.

I don't argue he was a reasonable manager, although he did go back to being a member of Harry Redknapp's backroom staff. The point I was making was that being an international standard footballer, playing at world class clubs doesn't automatically make you a good manager no matter how much respect you have. I used Bobby Charlton as an example because no one gets more respect than him and he too played for Manchester United, playing more games and scoring more goals at both Man Utd and international level. We don't know whether Holden, despite his lowlier status, would be a better manager than Jordan, and won't know unless he's appointed. 

It would be nice if for once we were not a club to test out unproven managers that  have won nothing and in Holden's case not managed before. And for once appointed someone who has managed and gained promotion. So let Holden learn his trade somewhere else. 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I would have Cook over him. But agree that it's not the worst idea to give Holden a go.

On the pitch I want the new manager to do similar to what Holden was in those 5 games.

3-5-2 but for me we need to sort that midfield out and Wells needs to be the main man with a partner with movement alongside him.

Or even a 3-6-1 system that Robins used at Coventry. A double defensive pivot in midfield. And 2 attacking midfielders with freedom in behind Wells.

Mate, I agree with about 99% of what you say on this forum, but now you've clearly lost your mind. There's a universe somewhere with an alternate version of our world in which Holden becomes our manager and plays a 3-6-1 and it's a scary place. We must not go there. 

• Like 2

Could he have been interviewed, not to appoint as manager/head coach, but to work under whoever is to be appointed?

The plan could be that DH would work as assistant, with the aim of his being promoted to fill the manager's role when it next becomes vacant, in the same way  that clubs like Brentford have promoted from within ( it's not done them too badly!) It would also give the club the continuity that the club's strategy seems to need.

• Like 1
Just now, mozo said:

Mate, I agree with about 99% of what you say on this forum, but now you've clearly lost your mind. There's a universe somewhere with an alternate version of our world in which Holden becomes our manager and plays a 3-6-1 and it's a scary place. We must not go there. 

I'm not saying I'd have Holden but I'm not massively against it.

• Like 1

If we appoint Holden the club is  effectively saying that he will be a better manager than Hughton, Cook and all the other amazing applicants we are told have applied.  But this is Bristol City so I would not be surprised.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, downendcity said:

It would also give the club the continuity that the club's strategy seems to need.

We have tried continuity with Brian Tinnion, Keith Millen and Lee Johnson. Worked out well didn’t it!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Redland said:

If we appoint Holden the club is  effectively saying that he will be a better manager than Hughton, Cook and all the other amazing applicants we are told have applied.  But this is Bristol City so I would not be surprised.

Or it could be the club saying, we accept he isn't better than Hughton or Cook but we can't afford them under the current climate and need to cut our cloth appropriately to ride out this storm.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Loco Rojo said:

Or it could be the club saying, we accept he isn't better than Hughton or Cook but we can't afford them under the current climate and need to cut our cloth appropriately to ride out this storm.

What it would  say is we want control , don’t want to be challenged at all and the fans ( who they know don’t want him ) can do one , we simply don’t care 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

What it would  say is we want control , don’t want to be challenged at all and the fans ( who they know don’t want him ) can do one , we simply don’t care 

That'll be it.

4 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Then why not appoint him at the outset and avoid the farce of the process that we are currently going through. If we can’t afford decent manager we should not have started trying to find one.

• Like 1

If the club appoint Holden........then I will follow that statue of Colston in to Bristol Docks, to literally drown my sorrows  After 4 weeks of BS, if they end up appointing from within, it will be the biggest anti climax since we played Brighton in  the Play off final.  Please God.........NO!😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

They already have control, in reality we don't challenge them but they do care, otherwise why would they plough so much money in the the ground, squad and training facilties?

1 minute ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

As someone on here said the other week, we need a bit of:

DistortedElderlyConey-size_restricted.gif.0fb1508351b0f7b5d80652d7ce29dbdc.gif

....and Manc Deano brings this, in spades, to the table. We'd be mad fer it not to consider him....

Shit dancing?

2 minutes ago, Redland said:

Then why not appoint him at the outset and avoid the farce of the process that we are currently going through. If we can’t afford decent manager we should not have started trying to find one.

Who knows. Perhaps they are preparing for the future but wanted to interview other candidates (do the due diligence part) to understand the options they have before deciding on how the coming season will financially impact the club. 

Makes sense in terms of continuity and financially. He did a reasonable job with zero midfield as caretaker. 
If he were to be appointed, just back him and see what happens. Actually, could about 4,000 of you cancel ST’s in protest so that I might get to see most games 😁

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Redland said:

We have tried continuity with Brian Tinnion, Keith Millen and Lee Johnson. Worked out well didn’t it!

Tinnion and Millen were are at a different time. Back then we had little or no long term strategy and in Millen's case, he was appointed with the club in a bit of a shambles following Coppell's departure. 

LJ can hardly be considered as an appointment from within as he was already a manager at Barnsley, even so it can hardly be described as working badly as we went from a championship/league 1 yo-yo team to one consolidated in the top half of the championship, even if the last 12 months were frustrating.

Also, I doubt that Tinnion and Millen were being groomed to take over from their respective managers neither were they working within a structure designed to accommodate continuity of that type.

Brentford proves the idea can work as Frank is outperforming his predecessor.

4 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Makes sense in terms of continuity and financially. He did a reasonable job with zero midfield as caretaker. 
If he were to be appointed, just back him and see what happens. Actually, could about 4,000 of you cancel ST’s in protest so that I might get to see most games 😁

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

I think Mark Ashton needs to be very careful about what this appointment says about him.  Another inexperienced head coach will give a very clear message about what the priorities are at the club...

Hopefully Gregor McGregoryface has no info and is just filling space again.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Im not unhappy, nor is it unexpected, he knows the club the role and the vision and has results of a sort, managers have to start somewhere

Yep........I can think of a really good place he could start.

2 hours ago, Dottie said:

I do hope Dean Holden doesn’t read these posts, it’s a bit brutal!

Yep.

I don't understand the personal vitriolic stuff - way way over the top and says a lot about some on here.

• Like 3
Just now, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Where is that then?

I don't want to be rude about a City employee................But it starts with a C and ends with an A.......that's all i am prepared to say 😰😰