IGNORED

Gregor MacGregor

BcFcOneLove

I've now realised that this guy is having the absolute time of his life at the moment, not only fueling speculation amongst us but also being directly sourced and quoted by various national news outlets who often state 'according to Bristol Live'.

We go from within days of announcing Hughton, which even prompted other fans' congratulations of such an appointment, and lots of national media that quoted him, to now taking Dean Holden seriously. 

I mean come on....

Either someone at the club is seriously taking the p*** out of him or he is an absolute sh** show of journalist for a lazy rag, that seems to thrive on absolute guess work, which amazingly is still being taken seriously and annoyingly talked to death about every day.

I do realise that he is obviously tasked with reporting whatever he may or may not know, but wish he'd just p*** off to be honest..

Rant over and apologies to any fans of his.

37 minutes ago, BcFcOneLove said:

I've now realised that this guy is having the absolute time of his life at the moment, not only fueling speculation amongst us but also being directly sourced and quoted by various national news outlets who often state 'according to Bristol Live'.

We go from within days of announcing Hughton, which even prompted other fans' congratulations of such an appointment, and lots of national media that quoted him, to now taking Dean Holden seriously. 

I mean come on....

Either someone at the club is seriously taking the p*** out of him or he is an absolute sh** show of journalist for a lazy rag, that seems to thrive on absolute guess work, which amazingly is still being taken seriously and annoyingly talked to death about every day.

I do realise that he is obviously tasked with reporting whatever he may or may not know, but wish he'd just p*** off to be honest..

Both I would imagine.

To clarify: shortlisted candidates still in the race to be next #BristolCity head coach include Chris Hughton, Paul Cook, Dean Holden - and 2-3 unknown others. Second round interviews now; appointment in next few days. (Players were told 7-10 days last week). No one in the lead.

This was taken from his Twitter feed . 

4 hours ago, BcFcOneLove said:

I mean come on....

His predecessor Andy Stockhausen got far more stick on here than Gregor McGregorface does. 

He’s actually a decent bloke - he was the speaker at Senior Reds about a year ago and came over really well. Being a sports journalist theses days is a tough job particularly around Bristol and during a pandemic.

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Some of the stuff posted on here lately about McGregor and Holden for example is downright nasty, unfair and without merit.

He hasn't been shown wrong in anything he has said about the managers position, unlike the Nationals.

Well boo hoo Cider. 

I fear some of the comments questioning Gregor's work, or integrity, show a fundamental lack of understanding of how journalism works. Gregor can't just dream up a story and get it on the Post website...or if he did he wouldn't last long. He'll have to justify, if only to his boss, the existence of some source for that story. More significantly, in a role like this where he is writing about a single organisation much of the time, Bristol City, he needs to weigh the possibility of a scoop and five minutes of satisfaction against cooperation with stories and access to the club in less exciting times.

I'd be amazed if he was relying on guesswork...and if he was he would't have got far in journalism and would be ranting quietly away on twitter or a forum like this.

12 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Some of the stuff posted on here lately about McGregor and Holden for example is downright nasty, unfair and without merit.

He hasn't been shown wrong in anything he has said about the managers position, unlike the Nationals.

Wasn’t it the case that the club had told him (and every other media source) that they wouldn’t be giving him any titbits, with the understanding that he would / could therefore report what he wanted? Or in other words the relationship is a bit different to the cosy club / local journo in the same boat, it used to be.

in that context giving him stick is a bit harsh - he probably stilL knows more about the current situation than most on here.

Gregor has been getting this transfer saga right all the way through so far.

When the media whipped up a Steven Gerrard frenzy, Gregor said not a done deal. ✔️

When the media said Hughton a done deal, Gregor said not done. ✔️

When the media said appointment imminent, Gregor said 7-10 days (a week ago. ✔️

• Admin
16 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Apart from naming practically every available manager and his mate as being connected with us

Very easy to be right if you name everyone 

7 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

He’s on holiday next few days so don’t expect any news 

I'm sure he'll be itching to break the news

Personally I think that he's the best local reporter we've had for many years. 

Sadly the Bristol Live team seem to let anyone reporter release a City related story and it's the "trainee journalists" (etc) that right the mundane rubbish 

Gregor has always been honest and interactive with people on Twitter and he does a great podcast with Michelle Owen that's worth a listen. 

But back to the original comment, it must be an editors dream being able to have so many stories flying out, I'd bet the online clicks on the Bristol Live site have gone through the roof recently 

4 minutes ago, mozo said:

When the media whipped up a Steven Gerrard frenzy, Gregor said not a done deal. ✔️

Exactly this. McG has been the most sensible journo in all of this, whilst the national papers jumped the gun multiple times and we were all running about like headless chickens on OTIB in 100 page threads.

McG has the most invested in relations with the club out of any journo in the country probably, he's not going to post unfounded nonsense. There is of course always an element of "clickbait" but that's just standard at this point. If anyone thinks McG is making stuff up then they're just being naive.

18 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I fear some of the comments questioning Gregor's work, or integrity, show a fundamental lack of understanding of how journalism works. Gregor can't just dream up a story and get it on the Post website...or if he did he wouldn't last long. He'll have to justify, if only to his boss, the existence of some source for that story. More significantly, in a role like this where he is writing about a single organisation much of the time, Bristol City, he needs to weigh the possibility of a scoop and five minutes of satisfaction against cooperation with stories and access to the club in less exciting times.

I'd be amazed if he was relying on guesswork...and if he was he would't have got far in journalism and would be ranting quietly away on twitter or a forum like this.

Absolutely.

I do think some of his judgement is at best “interesting” & do wonder if we watched the same game sometimes & he lets himself down occasionally with his lack of knowledge about the clubs’ history, but in this long running saga he has reported it pretty well and not said anything that has been proved to be incorrect.

38 minutes ago, Robbored said:

His predecessor Andy Stockhausen got far more stick on here than Gregor McGregorface does. 

He’s actually a decent bloke - he was the speaker at Senior Reds about a year ago and came over really well. Being a sports journalist theses days is a tough job particularly around Bristol and during a pandemic.

Do you remember those that were giving you a hard time on the Brighton fans post last week, for daring to mention that Hughton hadn't been announced by the club yet...?! 

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

Do you remember those that were giving you a hard time on the Brighton fans post last week, for daring to mention that Hughton hadn't been announced by the club yet...?! 

Of course, I received a plethora of negative emojis for stating an obvious fact and  being absolutely right..
I can’t see the link to that thread and this one tho............:dunno:

43 minutes ago, mozo said:

Spot on. The National media have been the ones well of the mark and in fairness Gregor has been the one calling it correctly.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

He was a knob. Gregor is a far better journalist. He actually watches the games and seems to have alot more knowledge than Stockhausen ever did.

4 minutes ago, Riaz said:

He was a knob. Gregor is a far better journalist. He actually watches the games and seems to have alot more knowledge than Stockhausen ever did.

I completely agree Riaz. 

I met AS several times and he was always arrogant and dismissive. I found him very irritating.

The more I think about this Holden story, the more I think GMG's source is taking the piss. Assuming that source has delivered for him before, he's entitled to trust them and report the story. The Post won't mind as it's driving traffic to their site.  

Presuming that source comes from within the club or someone close to the recruitment process, I think it's the board the using GMG to test the fans' reaction/lower expectations. I do, however, have the nagging feeling that SL has previous for this sort of appointment, though. 

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Your right, he is decent bloke, but that does not necessarily equate to him being good at his job?  Personally I think he is very average, and seems to lack inside knowledge and a good contact network.  These are important essentials for a journalist, especially sports journo's,  plus IMHO his writing is no better than ordinary............nothing personal Gregor, just my opinion.

4 hours ago, mozo said:

And both Gregor (and James - Gregor’s Editor) are pretty aligned with what Kid has posted, but we choose to slag off Gregor.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Kid has similar sources on the manager to the BP guys.

I can certainly tell you it’s not Bristol City “conveniently” leaking info, as good a conspiracy theory as that would be.

To give another example, I was told by one person I trust that Flynn had been interviewed really soon after LJ’s departure.  Two other people (less credible) backed that up...so I really believed it.  I think it’s not ruining anyone’s trust to say Kid, Gregor and James all DMd me through different methods and advised me that they didn’t believe it was true.

I think the BP are on top of the recruitment piece....and don’t deserve the slagging off they’re getting.

Feel free to aubergine me!

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And both Gregor (and James - Gregor’s Editor) are pretty aligned with what Kid has posted, but we choose to slag off Gregor.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Kid has similar sources on the manager to the BP guys.

I can certainly tell you it’s not Bristol City “conveniently” leaking info, as good a conspiracy theory as that would be.

To give another example, I was told by one person I trust that Flynn had been interviewed really soon after LJ’s departure.  Two other people (less credible) backed that up...so I really believed it.  I think it’s not ruining anyone’s trust to say Kid, Gregor and James all DMd me through different methods and advised me that they didn’t believe it was true.

I think the BP are on top of the recruitment piece....and don’t deserve the slagging off they’re getting.

Feel free to aubergine me!

Kid has never been wrong before so definitely 100% trust what he says.

Archived