Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Gregor MacGregor


Recommended Posts

I've now realised that this guy is having the absolute time of his life at the moment, not only fueling speculation amongst us but also being directly sourced and quoted by various national news outlets who often state 'according to Bristol Live'.

We go from within days of announcing Hughton, which even prompted other fans' congratulations of such an appointment, and lots of national media that quoted him, to now taking Dean Holden seriously. 

 

I mean come on....

 

Either someone at the club is seriously taking the p*** out of him or he is an absolute sh** show of journalist for a lazy rag, that seems to thrive on absolute guess work, which amazingly is still being taken seriously and annoyingly talked to death about every day.

I do realise that he is obviously tasked with reporting whatever he may or may not know, but wish he'd just p*** off to be honest..

Rant over and apologies to any fans of his.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, BcFcOneLove said:

I've now realised that this guy is having the absolute time of his life at the moment, not only fueling speculation amongst us but also being directly sourced and quoted by various national news outlets who often state 'according to Bristol Live'.

We go from within days of announcing Hughton, which even prompted other fans' congratulations of such an appointment, and lots of national media that quoted him, to now taking Dean Holden seriously. 

 

I mean come on....

 

Either someone at the club is seriously taking the p*** out of him or he is an absolute sh** show of journalist for a lazy rag, that seems to thrive on absolute guess work, which amazingly is still being taken seriously and annoyingly talked to death about every day.

I do realise that he is obviously tasked with reporting whatever he may or may not know, but wish he'd just p*** off to be honest..

Rant over and apologies to any fans of his.

 

Both I would imagine.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

To clarify: shortlisted candidates still in the race to be next #BristolCity head coach include Chris Hughton, Paul Cook, Dean Holden - and 2-3 unknown others. Second round interviews now; appointment in next few days. (Players were told 7-10 days last week). No one in the lead.
 

This was taken from his Twitter feed . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BcFcOneLove said:

I've now realised that this guy is having the absolute time of his life at the moment, not only fueling speculation amongst us but also being directly sourced and quoted by various national news outlets who often state 'according to Bristol Live'.

We go from within days of announcing Hughton, which even prompted other fans' congratulations of such an appointment, and lots of national media that quoted him, to now taking Dean Holden seriously. 

 

I mean come on....

 

Either someone at the club is seriously taking the p*** out of him or he is an absolute sh** show of journalist for a lazy rag, that seems to thrive on absolute guess work, which amazingly is still being taken seriously and annoyingly talked to death about every day.

I do realise that he is obviously tasked with reporting whatever he may or may not know, but wish he'd just p*** off to be honest..

Rant over and apologies to any fans of his.

His predecessor Andy Stockhausen got far more stick on here than Gregor McGregorface does. 

He’s actually a decent bloke - he was the speaker at Senior Reds about a year ago and came over really well. Being a sports journalist theses days is a tough job particularly around Bristol and during a pandemic.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Some of the stuff posted on here lately about McGregor and Holden for example is downright nasty, unfair and without merit.

He hasn't been shown wrong in anything he has said about the managers position, unlike the Nationals.

Well boo hoo Cider. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I fear some of the comments questioning Gregor's work, or integrity, show a fundamental lack of understanding of how journalism works. Gregor can't just dream up a story and get it on the Post website...or if he did he wouldn't last long. He'll have to justify, if only to his boss, the existence of some source for that story. More significantly, in a role like this where he is writing about a single organisation much of the time, Bristol City, he needs to weigh the possibility of a scoop and five minutes of satisfaction against cooperation with stories and access to the club in less exciting times.

I'd be amazed if he was relying on guesswork...and if he was he would't have got far in journalism and would be ranting quietly away on twitter or a forum like this.

Edited by Red Exile
  • Like 19
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Some of the stuff posted on here lately about McGregor and Holden for example is downright nasty, unfair and without merit.

He hasn't been shown wrong in anything he has said about the managers position, unlike the Nationals.

Wasn’t it the case that the club had told him (and every other media source) that they wouldn’t be giving him any titbits, with the understanding that he would / could therefore report what he wanted? Or in other words the relationship is a bit different to the cosy club / local journo in the same boat, it used to be.

in that context giving him stick is a bit harsh - he probably stilL knows more about the current situation than most on here.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Some of the stuff posted on here lately about McGregor and Holden for example is downright nasty, unfair and without merit.

He hasn't been shown wrong in anything he has said about the managers position, unlike the Nationals.

Apart from naming practically every available manager and his mate as being connected with us

Very easy to be right if you name everyone 

7 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

He’s on holiday next few days so don’t expect any news 

I'm sure he'll be itching to break the news

 

Personally I think that he's the best local reporter we've had for many years. 

Sadly the Bristol Live team seem to let anyone reporter release a City related story and it's the "trainee journalists" (etc) that right the mundane rubbish 

Gregor has always been honest and interactive with people on Twitter and he does a great podcast with Michelle Owen that's worth a listen. 

But back to the original comment, it must be an editors dream being able to have so many stories flying out, I'd bet the online clicks on the Bristol Live site have gone through the roof recently 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mozo said:

Gregor has been getting this transfer saga right all the way through so far.

When the media whipped up a Steven Gerrard frenzy, Gregor said not a done deal. ✔️

When the media said Hughton a done deal, Gregor said not done. ✔️

When the media said appointment imminent, Gregor said 7-10 days (a week ago. ✔️

 

Exactly this. McG has been the most sensible journo in all of this, whilst the national papers jumped the gun multiple times and we were all running about like headless chickens on OTIB in 100 page threads.

McG has the most invested in relations with the club out of any journo in the country probably, he's not going to post unfounded nonsense. There is of course always an element of "clickbait" but that's just standard at this point. If anyone thinks McG is making stuff up then they're just being naive.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I fear some of the comments questioning Gregor's work, or integrity, show a fundamental lack of understanding of how journalism works. Gregor can't just dream up a story and get it on the Post website...or if he did he wouldn't last long. He'll have to justify, if only to his boss, the existence of some source for that story. More significantly, in a role like this where he is writing about a single organisation much of the time, Bristol City, he needs to weigh the possibility of a scoop and five minutes of satisfaction against cooperation with stories and access to the club in less exciting times.

I'd be amazed if he was relying on guesswork...and if he was he would't have got far in journalism and would be ranting quietly away on twitter or a forum like this.

Absolutely.

I do think some of his judgement is at best “interesting” & do wonder if we watched the same game sometimes & he lets himself down occasionally with his lack of knowledge about the clubs’ history, but in this long running saga he has reported it pretty well and not said anything that has been proved to be incorrect.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Robbored said:

His predecessor Andy Stockhausen got far more stick on here than Gregor McGregorface does. 

He’s actually a decent bloke - he was the speaker at Senior Reds about a year ago and came over really well. Being a sports journalist theses days is a tough job particularly around Bristol and during a pandemic.

Do you remember those that were giving you a hard time on the Brighton fans post last week, for daring to mention that Hughton hadn't been announced by the club yet...?! 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

Do you remember those that were giving you a hard time on the Brighton fans post last week, for daring to mention that Hughton hadn't been announced by the club yet...?! 

Of course, I received a plethora of negative emojis for stating an obvious fact and  being absolutely right..
I can’t see the link to that thread and this one tho............:dunno:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, mozo said:

Gregor has been getting this transfer saga right all the way through so far.

When the media whipped up a Steven Gerrard frenzy, Gregor said not a done deal. ✔️

When the media said Hughton a done deal, Gregor said not done. ✔️

When the media said appointment imminent, Gregor said 7-10 days (a week ago. ✔️

 

Spot on. The National media have been the ones well of the mark and in fairness Gregor has been the one calling it correctly.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Robbored said:

His predecessor Andy Stockhausen got far more stick on here than Gregor McGregorface does. 

He’s actually a decent bloke - he was the speaker at Senior Reds about a year ago and came over really well. Being a sports journalist theses days is a tough job particularly around Bristol and during a pandemic.

He was a knob. Gregor is a far better journalist. He actually watches the games and seems to have alot more knowledge than Stockhausen ever did.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Riaz said:

He was a knob. Gregor is a far better journalist. He actually watches the games and seems to have alot more knowledge than Stockhausen ever did.

I completely agree Riaz. 
 

I met AS several times and he was always arrogant and dismissive. I found him very irritating.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I think about this Holden story, the more I think GMG's source is taking the piss. Assuming that source has delivered for him before, he's entitled to trust them and report the story. The Post won't mind as it's driving traffic to their site.  

Presuming that source comes from within the club or someone close to the recruitment process, I think it's the board the using GMG to test the fans' reaction/lower expectations. I do, however, have the nagging feeling that SL has previous for this sort of appointment, though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Robbored said:

His predecessor Andy Stockhausen got far more stick on here than Gregor McGregorface does. 

He’s actually a decent bloke - he was the speaker at Senior Reds about a year ago and came over really well. Being a sports journalist theses days is a tough job particularly around Bristol and during a pandemic.

Your right, he is decent bloke, but that does not necessarily equate to him being good at his job?  Personally I think he is very average, and seems to lack inside knowledge and a good contact network.  These are important essentials for a journalist, especially sports journo's,  plus IMHO his writing is no better than ordinary............nothing personal Gregor, just my opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Suffolk Red said:

Have had respect for him but that piece on The merits of Holden wow!

Agree but the level of detail in the piece makes me think it was a direct club briefing. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mozo said:

Gregor has been getting this transfer saga right all the way through so far.

When the media whipped up a Steven Gerrard frenzy, Gregor said not a done deal. ✔️

When the media said Hughton a done deal, Gregor said not done. ✔️

When the media said appointment imminent, Gregor said 7-10 days (a week ago. ✔️

 

And both Gregor (and James - Gregor’s Editor) are pretty aligned with what Kid has posted, but we choose to slag off Gregor.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Kid has similar sources on the manager to the BP guys.

I can certainly tell you it’s not Bristol City “conveniently” leaking info, as good a conspiracy theory as that would be.

To give another example, I was told by one person I trust that Flynn had been interviewed really soon after LJ’s departure.  Two other people (less credible) backed that up...so I really believed it.  I think it’s not ruining anyone’s trust to say Kid, Gregor and James all DMd me through different methods and advised me that they didn’t believe it was true.

I think the BP are on top of the recruitment piece....and don’t deserve the slagging off they’re getting.

Feel free to aubergine me!

  • Like 3
  • Robin 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

He seems like a decent guy to me to be honest. 

He gets enough right for me to accept that what he's saying probably holds some truth. 

No one is ever going to get things right every time. Things can change very quickly in football. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And both Gregor (and James - Gregor’s Editor) are pretty aligned with what Kid has posted, but we choose to slag off Gregor.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Kid has similar sources on the manager to the BP guys.

I can certainly tell you it’s not Bristol City “conveniently” leaking info, as good a conspiracy theory as that would be.

To give another example, I was told by one person I trust that Flynn had been interviewed really soon after LJ’s departure.  Two other people (less credible) backed that up...so I really believed it.  I think it’s not ruining anyone’s trust to say Kid, Gregor and James all DMd me through different methods and advised me that they didn’t believe it was true.

I think the BP are on top of the recruitment piece....and don’t deserve the slagging off they’re getting.

Feel free to aubergine me!

Kid has never been wrong before so definitely 100% trust what he says.

  • Hmmm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually have alot of sympathy for him.  Feeding on scraps with no real news to report, but still has to post a story.  Bound to lead to some creative writing.

Just have to wait. Frustrating as that is. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...