IGNORED

City fan who had the freight rover match sent down the phone line to Australia?

As its Summer time and things go a bit quiet.

Around the time of the 3-0 win over Bolton in the freight Rover cup way back in May 1986

A city fan in Australia could not get back to the U.K. to see the game.

So the City fan in Oz made arrangements to dial his friend in Bristol and have the game broadcast down the phone line with the handset next to the radio.

Not sure if it was a radio bristol commentary or the Jonathan pearce GWR broadcast

There was an article in the evening post, and not in the green un, as the green un was not being published at the time.

Phone costs back then were approx £1.25p  a minute and economy fare to Australia approx £600 pounds

Now thats what, i call a find, at a carboot ciderhead.

Only away game i missed, when we got promotion under joe. was crewe away.

Cost me 90p in tenps to listen, to the second half, and there was only 1 phone box.

It was at littlesea caravan park in weymouth, and there was a line of about 20 people when i came out.

They didnt look to happy tbh.

My brother, who'd been a season ticket holder next to me, moved to the US not long before our league cup semi final against Forest. 

When I got back from the game and called him to give a report, he knew it all. He'd spent the whole second half and extra time on the phone to a friend in the UK who'd been giving him a commentary from the TV. 

I never found out how much that cost!

When I was on an annual holiday for 2 weeks in North Wales during the 80s, I'd ask one of my school mates to cut out any news report concerning City that appeared in the Evening Post. When I got home I'd eagerly read everything to 'get up to speed'. Very, very different days now, when you can simply click on the website and get to know everything about City's managerial search ?.

I was actually living in New Zealand at the time, I didn’t ( unfortunately) have the fortune of listening to the game live. But, I woke up to a phone call from my Dad, I answered it and he played me the tape of Bobby Hutchinson lifting the cup, and the commentary of the goals going in. RIP Dad! 

I was here in the UK for the following years final against Mansfield, but unfortunately we lost. I didn’t see us win at Wembley until the Walsall final a few years ago! 

Archived