IGNORED

People with strange names

And Its Smith

When I first started work in 1981 we had a rep call on us who was called Donald Duck. He was an old boy, so to be fair to his parents he would have been born before the Disney character was created. He loved his name though as he thought it did him well in business as everyone remembered him.

Oddly enough, I have a bit of a strange name meself and I also think it helps people remember me (which is handy in my job)

Boy in my school called Keith O’Keef which when Bristolian-ised sounded too similar to be right.

One of the families I worked with surname was Lynes, they had a whole load of kids including Blu, Lucky and Chance which used to make me smile.

I met a guy who had 4 sons on a site.

I asked him their, names, andrew, patrick, david, i cut in sensing the pattern

4ths called george i said right!

Nope pancake he said!

Going back in the early 90s there was some unflattering graffiti, allover bristol about a guy called myles clutterbuck,

It was everywhere! i wonder what myles did?

I knew a Douglas Douglas when I was in the Air Cadets.

He was sadly killed at 16 by being struck by lightning up at the outdoor rifle range on the moor doing something we'd all had to do - ushering sheep away if they drifted behind the targets.

That's not a joke btw.

I didn't know him that well as we were in different squadrons but unlike most people who were just content with doing the Tuesday night parade we were two of several that signed up for every opportunity going (gliding, acrobatic flights, abseiling, camps, and range firing) so had bumped into each other a few times hence I was shocked rather than upset by his death; mainly because of the standard thought "That could have been me".

Don't be confused! The original Gregor MacGregor was a Scottish soldier, explorer and unashamed fraudster in the late eigtheenth/early nineteenth centuries. Apart from serving in the British Army, he joined the Venezuelan Army and also sold ficticious land to prospectors in Britain and France. He did this for many years and somehow managed to avoid a lengthy jail term. Not our own GMcG,  you understand.

On 02/08/2020 at 23:28, Med/MadHatter said:

Used to work in Northern Canada with alot of natives with descriptive names like Sparklingeyes etc but my favourite names of the people I've wirked with was a Burmese guy called Apollo Pumatang

Reminds me of that Ted Nugent tune, 

Wang Dang Sweet Pumatang

Not that I ever dealt with her but my credit controller used to deal with a certain Summa Luvin (or similar spelling, it was twenty five years ago) at an insurance broker.

My CC had met her and said she was black and really grumpy; maybe a defence mechanism to stop the jokes.

Also a Mickey Rooney though that's probably quite common.

Archived