IGNORED

Is this managerial delay screwing up our transfer plans?

reddogkev

I will admit I am angry at how long it's taking to fill the manager role - but I accept there's likely many reasons why it's taking so long, and of course, we have no idea what these reasons are.  I can assume the club are not in a rush to appoint the successor, but is this a wise strategy?

Without wishing to discuss the potential new manager - my query is what impact will this have on our transfer business, in respect to players leaving and joining?

Let's take two obvious names, Diedhiou and Elliason - if we already had the new manager on board he might have convinced them (if key to his plans) to commit to new deals with the club.   This would then alter the course of the incomings we needed to make.

Does anyone feel that this delay is ruining our transfer window, or is it safe to assume that the coaches at the club and the guidance of MA will ensure our dealings are still to the benefit of City?

Well, obviously the longer a manager is in the role the sooner he can crack on with transfers.

Hopefully this is where our more committee approach to transfers pays dividends - there's no reason why Ashton and his recruitment team won't be working on transfers. It would be negligent if they weren't.

Also, there's Covid to factor in. The transfer window is already different - clubs are having to use different budgets, there's travel restrictions and other issues to contend with. 

It won't be a normal transfer window so in some ways that might work in our favour with it taking a few weeks to get a manager in place. 

I have been thinking the same. Surely a new manager would want to assess what we have before chasing possible targets. Also he would have some say in who we sign. So I would think that this farce of a selection process will have an impact on our activity in the transfer market. And the longer this process takes the more detrimental the impact will become.

I’m not angry about the delay, because I think it’s important to make the right appointment, but I am getting concerned that we could lose ground significantly in the transfer market unless an appointment is made soon.  Let’s face it, we don’t even have a retained list yet, and normally you’d expect that a day or two after the season finishes, and way before the transfer window opens.  It takes time to sign good players, but at the moment we have both hands tied behind our back in the transfer market.

A few months ago it was announced (on here at least) that City were interested in Ivan Toney, a P'boro' forward. PUFC stated yesterday that several Championship  clubs had made enquiries for him, but no firm offers for him yet.

I agree with the OP; the previous manager might have been interested, the next manager might not, so here's an example of a potential signing slipping away.

Frankly its impossible to say, because firstly we don't know how many players a new gaffer would want (could be they're happy with the current squad, could be they want a lot) and secondly we don't know how much will be available this summer. Hypothetically we could have a summer where we spend practically nothing to keep the club in as healthy position as possible going into 20/21 and just sign loans/free agents.

The transfer window is open until October this year so there is less panic than there might normally be.

Also we don’t know what impact there will be on transfer fees or wages , no point paying over the odds if the trend is , as is highly likely, downwards. 

Add in players on holiday and globally I don’t think a week or two will have that much affect . 

I believe that certain sales will have been budgeted for already ; Famara, Eliasson for example so the new man won’t have a say there anyway. 

As has been noted we have a recruitment team who will have a list of positions and possible targets ready. 

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

The transfer window is open until October this year so there is less panic than there might normally be.

Also we don’t know what impact there will be on transfer fees or wages , no point paying over the odds if the trend is , as is highly likely, downwards. 

Add in players on holiday and globally I don’t think a week or two will have that much affect . 

I believe that certain sales will have been budgeted for already ; Famara, Eliasson for example so the new man won’t have a say there anyway. 

As has been noted we have a recruitment team who will have a list of positions and possible targets ready. 

Perhaps this is one of the hold-up's in finding a successor that is as happy to operate under this particular model as LJ was.

22 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Would a player sign for a club without knowing who the manager was? The new manager just may not want that particular player

I think it could be the opposite. A new player may not be so worried enough and play his style and show a new manager what he is good at. Unlike LJ where he seemed to restrict the talent in the squad.

Does anyone know if the time taken sorting this appointment is longer/shorter than previous appointments? It does feel like its dragging but is it? Or does it just feel this way because of the constant speculation about Hughton and Cook but no apparent movement. 

Interested to know how this compares.

5 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Does anyone know if the time taken sorting this appointment is longer/shorter than previous appointments? It does feel like its dragging but is it? Or does it just feel this way because of the constant speculation about Hughton and Cook but no apparent movement. 

Interested to know how this compares.

Longer than any of the last 4. McInnes, O’Driscoll, Cotterill, Johnson.

I don't think we are delaying - I recon we are interviewing, waiting for the candidate to make a decision and being turned down.  So we then move on to another. All this extends the time. This is probably happening more now that there are other managerless clubs as competition for us. The club would clearly never let us know that for many reasons and we probably never will.

It has to be doing so.

We haven’t officially made decisions on Korey Smith, Maenpaa & Williams as a result of this plus players are starting to join clubs at our level.

Not having someone in post to decide on priority positions with other clubs signing players at present cannot be anything but a disadvantage.

Realistically Elliasson and Fam are off whoever we get in. They will want to play in Europe if possible, in top leagues and earn far more than they are earning here. 

Regarding the likes of Smith, Maenappa yes it'll affect them. 

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

It has to be doing so.

We haven’t officially made decisions on Korey Smith, Maenpaa & Williams as a result of this plus players are starting to join clubs at our level.

Not having someone in post to decide on priority positions with other clubs signing players at present cannot be anything but a disadvantage.

Also add in players who we expect to leave , Eliasson and Fam. A new manager could be the difference between them staying or leaving. 

The new guy also needs time to assess the squad he will inherit , there may be players he doesn’t want or won’t suit his style of play. Let’s be honest we haven’t got a small squad 

1 minute ago, Hampshire reds said:

If city want to sign new players for next season then they need to pull there finger out and get a move on with getting a new manager. i see Norwich have already signed 3 new players. only my opinion 

Merge ahoy!

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

It is very concerning. I do think our current squad are no where near good enough for a top 6 challenge. We seriously need some midfielders in at the club.

Interesting, we were near the top of the table most of the season until Lee's latest post-xmas slide so I wouldnt say "nowhere near" good enough.

We're 1/2 player upgrades and a settled selection away from being top 6

If this was delayed till one week before closure, then yes.

If the delay leads to a manager which causes a WTF reaction, then yes.

AS LONG as we get the right man, we'll be Ok.

Just now, MarcusX said:

Interesting, we were near the top of the table most of the season until Lee's latest post-xmas slide so I wouldnt say "nowhere near" good enough.

Our performances in at the beginning of the season til December were not reflecting the results. Majority of games, especially at home we were largely outplayed and not in control, was down to a weak midfield. When the 'better' sides played us they played us off the pitch - Leeds, Brentford, West Brom all dished out heavy beatings throughout the season. I'm sorry, 12th is reflective of where we are right now, and at this moment in time we have no Manager, our board are pondering on bringing in LJ's number 2 and we have no signings. It may be reactionary, but at this moment in time we will in my eyes really struggle next season.

3 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Agree , what we need is an identified style of play , a consistent team selection and players coached in a formation. We’ve missed this last couple of season by being too fearful of the opposition 

Just now, 2015 said:

Our performances in at the beginning of the season til December were not reflecting the results. Majority of games, especially at home we were largely outplayed and not in control, was down to a weak midfield. When the 'better' sides played us they played us off the pitch - Leeds, Brentford, West Brom all dished out heavy beatings throughout the season. I'm sorry, 12th is reflective of where we are right now, and at this moment in time we have no Manager, our board are pondering on bringing in LJ's number 2 and we have no signings. It may be reactionary, but at this moment in time we will in my eyes really struggle next season.

It's fair comment, but we were pretty good at the start of the season. I still think Nagy and Massengo have got much more about them than we've seen since October, a new manager will hopefully get more out of them.

I think a lot of our performance issues were by design from LJ and the way he wanted us to setup. 

1 of my upgrades would be in that middle though, and perhaps someone like Morrell could step up.

Archived