IGNORED

Is this managerial delay screwing up our transfer plans?

reddogkev

14 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

If city want to sign new players for next season then they need to pull there finger out and get a move on with getting a new manager. i see Norwich have already signed 3 new players. only my opinion 

I think sides coming down will be under increased pressure to move very quickly to restructure their wage bill under the current crisis. That's bound to include changing the squad so I think their situations are slightly different to ours - although I do get your point that the longer the delay goes on, the more we may miss out.

One thing to consider to this though is even if we had the manager in already, how much are we actually going to spend this season given the financial challenges? Rather that use what we have, extend contracts and use the players who were out on loan last season.

Just to add. If this is the case, this might be part of the reason we haven't announced yet as applicants may want money to spend rather than work with what we have.

I believe the current squad is stronger than has been displayed previously. To quote the marvellous Mr Eric Morcambe "All the right notes - not necessarily in the right order" There will be plenty of time for transfers etc. 

There really is no need for any panic. He is coming. 

Just now, MarcusX said:

It's fair comment, but we were pretty good at the start of the season. I still think Nagy and Massengo have got much more about them than we've seen since October, a new manager will hopefully get more out of them.

I think a lot of our performance issues were by design from LJ and the way he wanted us to setup. 

1 of my upgrades would be in that middle though, and perhaps someone like Morrell could step up.

Yes they were down to LJ's setup completely, and thus why I am very very concerned if Holden gets appointed, there wouldn't be any difference and we would struggle.

Under LJ we always had a good start to the season

1 hour ago, 22A said:

A few months ago it was announced (on here at least) that City were interested in Ivan Toney, a P'boro' forward. PUFC stated yesterday that several Championship  clubs had made enquiries for him, but no firm offers for him yet.

I agree with the OP; the previous manager might have been interested, the next manager might not, so here's an example of a potential signing slipping away.

To be fair though, their chairman likes to do things publicly to try and drum up bids for his players. In fairness it usually works.

I may be wrong, but wasn't he touting Toney around in the last window? Were there actually any firm bids? 

The one thing that could go in our favour if we did go in for Toney, is that they seem keen on Smodzics. If he isn't seen as good enough for the level we want to be, then use him as a bargaining chip to bring the price down, but make sure there are future add-ons for him (as they would probably insist with Toney as well). He has also gone on record as saying that we are one of the better clubs to deal with in regards to transfers.

They do have a history of selling on future stars, but not everyone of them works out.

I thought that our director of football Ashton did all the buying and selling of players then just gave our head coach a set of players to work with so not having a manager in shouldn't really affect the plans the club had for this summer, this could be something putting so off some looking at our manager job as they may want to be managers and sign who they want, 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

The transfer window is open until October this year so there is less panic than there might normally be.

Also we don’t know what impact there will be on transfer fees or wages , no point paying over the odds if the trend is , as is highly likely, downwards. 

Add in players on holiday and globally I don’t think a week or two will have that much affect . 

I believe that certain sales will have been budgeted for already ; Famara, Eliasson for example so the new man won’t have a say there anyway. 

As has been noted we have a recruitment team who will have a list of positions and possible targets ready. 

I agree and would like to stress the majority of deals don’t seem to happen until the final hours anyway. But obviously they may have been working on them for months.

Also we got to remember that quite a few clubs change their managers outside of the window, nothing he can do when it’s shut other that use all his skills to get more out of the players. Sometimes it’s better not too have too much choice it seems?

I’m not overly concerned about the transfer window.

We have a transfer ‘team’ of MA and the analysts etc, so they’ll be no doubt be identifying targets. 

It’s also looking like our incomings will be reliant on outgoings, so that is somewhat out of our hands too.

Worth remembering the names in the frame for the hot seat now will either have first hand knowledge of our team from previous seasons playing/scouting (e.g Cook or Neil) or have had plenty of time to watch videos of us playing (Hughton) to get an idea of the squad - so I wouldn’t underestimate a managers ability to come and in and know quickly what he’ll need in the way of new players.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

The transfer window is open until October this year so there is less panic than there might normally be.

Also we don’t know what impact there will be on transfer fees or wages , no point paying over the odds if the trend is , as is highly likely, downwards. 

Add in players on holiday and globally I don’t think a week or two will have that much affect . 

I believe that certain sales will have been budgeted for already ; Famara, Eliasson for example so the new man won’t have a say there anyway. 

As has been noted we have a recruitment team who will have a list of positions and possible targets ready. 

From rumours, Eliasson and Diedhiou ain’t signing a new deal.  They see their futures elsewhere, and therefore I think it has been decided that they are going, and in some respects they create the budget and scope for the appointed manager to play with.  Eliasson’s new agent (he changed agent last year) is very proactive.  It isn’t a case that they are “fed up with LJ” and would be keen to see who is appointed...they have suitors who have promised them more than City.

I was kinda hoping it was an LJ thing and a new man could come in and convince them they had a big part to play.

It appears that is not the case.

42 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

I believe the current squad is stronger than has been displayed previously. To quote the marvellous Mr Eric Morcambe "All the right notes - not necessarily in the right order" There will be plenty of time for transfers etc. 

There really is no need for any panic. He is coming. 

Who ?

57 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

If city want to sign new players for next season then they need to pull there finger out and get a move on with getting a new manager. i see Norwich have already signed 3 new players. only my opinion 

Norwich have already signed 6 players according to GMG.

We need one or two upgrades and let some fringe players go, that should be enough imo - maybe another striker as well if Fam goes (as seems very likely). Fam and Eliasson going should generate enough monies to get them in. I think we have the players, just that they need to play with a bit of freedom rather than being shackled and dropped if they make a mistake.

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

From rumours, Eliasson and Diedhiou ain’t signing a new deal.  They see their futures elsewhere, and therefore I think it has been decided that they are going, and in some respects they create the budget and scope for the appointed manager to play with.  Eliasson’s new agent (he changed agent last year) is very proactive.  It isn’t a case that they are “fed up with LJ” and would be keen to see who is appointed...they have suitors who have promised them more than City.

I was kinda hoping it was an LJ thing and a new man could come in and convince them they had a big part to play.

It appears that is not the case.

Yes Dave - I think a bi-product of our transfer policy is that in going after foreign signings and selling them the ‘project’, part of that is selling them the potential pathway to a big money move that several of our previous players have done.

Comes with the territory now for us that some of these players won’t be signing just to play for Bristol City, but will be looking at the long term and we therefore can’t expect them to be overly loyal when we a) don’t go up or b) that new opportunity knocks.

Of more concern seems to be the assumption that we can sell Fammy and Eliasson without spending any substantial sums (or indeed anything at all) on the squad. To me this is a complacent result of the belief that you can sell your best players every summer and nonetheless remain competitive by clever trading and development of youth. I think that SL has also concluded that no one will be buying or selling much this window, thus our comparative position will not be undermined. I’m as hopeful as the next man about Walsh and Morrell but both are still relatively untried at championship level, and it will only take a couple of indifferent performances from them for a harsh reality to set in.

15 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Who ?

Norwich have already signed 6 players according to GMG.

We need one or two upgrades and let some fringe players go, that should be enough imo - maybe another striker as well if Fam goes (as seems very likely). Fam and Eliasson going should generate enough monies to get them in. I think we have the players, just that they need to play with a bit of freedom rather than being shackled and dropped if they make a mistake.

Who do you want, do you really really want???

1 hour ago, Hampshire reds said:

Norwich have signed six new players since the transfer window reopend, including Kieran Dowell on a three-year deal from Everton today. That's a great signing for them, IMO. 

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

I will admit I am angry at how long it's taking to fill the manager role - but I accept there's likely many reasons why it's taking so long, and of course, we have no idea what these reasons are.  I can assume the club are not in a rush to appoint the successor, but is this a wise strategy?

Without wishing to discuss the potential new manager - my query is what impact will this have on our transfer business, in respect to players leaving and joining?

Let's take two obvious names, Diedhiou and Elliason - if we already had the new manager on board he might have convinced them (if key to his plans) to commit to new deals with the club.   This would then alter the course of the incomings we needed to make.

Does anyone feel that this delay is ruining our transfer window, or is it safe to assume that the coaches at the club and the guidance of MA will ensure our dealings are still to the benefit of City?

I started laughing when I read 'transfer plans'.

I'm still laughing !!?

13 minutes ago, tin said:

Norwich have signed six new players since the transfer window reopend, including Kieran Dowell on a three-year deal from Everton today. That's a great signing for them, IMO. 

Easy to sign players with a big f@ck off parachute payment.

Even if we had a Manager we aren't missing out on the type of player Norwich and the other Prem failures will be after.

Archived