IGNORED

Lloyd Kelly sell on?

harvey54

3 hours ago, Sturny said:

Didn’t think he impressed at Bournemouth? Not sure why Liverpool would sign him 

Was injured for vast portion of season.

There is a real lack of young, British, left sided CBs and they are going for a premium. England u21 international, potential.....

3 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Not sure he looked that bad though for what was his first few games in the division. 

Added bonus of being cover to two positions, currently if Robertson gets injured I believe they use Milner as a left back. 

Somebody at Liverpool really likes the look of him because there has been sustained interest in him for a while. 

Yes, flexibility.  When Joe Gomez signed from Charlton, they played him LB.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

He's absolutely amazing. Can't believe he could not even get into our side for much of last season.

The odd bad game yes but I reckon a proper run of games he would have found consistency. He really does have it all. Brentford away showed how good he is at centre back. That's his best position.

Should have been Webster - Kalas and Kelly in a back 3.

Then Hunt and Dasilva could have played in their best positions which is wing backs.

Yes LJ gave him a chance but he could have been given more of a chance.

Not surprised Liverpool want him. Still needs to learn of course but he will go right to the top imo. 

“Amazing” might be OTT, but he was a good, young player for us.

Another player who is only gonna get better as he gets more experience and physically matures.

3 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Surely not being bad in a 9 game season is no reason to buy an injury prone full back. Oil money has sent £41m to Bournemouth so I guess equally obscene money for Kelly from the horrible Scousers is conceivable

In light of our real world it makes it hard to like or want Premier league football

Have a word with yourself.  Two unrelated injuries last season, one of which was a contact inury, and that's it.

You need to have a look at the definition of injury prone!

1 hour ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Didn't we sell him for 15m? Bournemuff will want more than that.

Pretty sure we sold him for an initial £13m, so there must be a significant (my guess is 20%) sell-on percentage in his Bournemouth contract for any profit above that figure. 

There's no doubt in my mind Kelly's best position in centre-back and he'll go on to great things if he avoids injuries. Liverpool would be a good move for him, although I do think a season in the Championship would be better for his development than a move to Anfield at this stage. He's still only 21. 

6 minutes ago, tin said:

Pretty sure we sold him for an initial £13m, so there must be a significant (my guess is 20%) sell-on fee in his Bournemouth contract. 

There's no doubt in my mind Kelly's best position in centre-back and he'll go on to great things if he avoids injuries. Liverpool would be a good move for him, although I do think a season in the Championship would be better for his development than a move to Anfield at this stage. He's still only 21. 

It will be 20% of profit not 20% of total sell on fee. These deals are always profit nowadays 

8 minutes ago, chalkeyred said:

A Liverpool starlet (Rhian Brewster) on loan to replace any sell on fee due...?

It will be bournemouth paying us the fee,,, but i guess the transfer value could be altered to reflect the sell on fee not being paid.

we will be in need of strikers though, even more so if fammy goes, and brewster looks the real deal!

30 minutes ago, tin said:

Pretty sure we sold him for an initial £13m, so there must be a significant (my guess is 20%) sell-on percentage in his Bournemouth contract for any profit above that figure. 

Agree with most of what you say, but I think he needs to be in the Prem now. Having watched the England game at Ashton Gate, Lloyd really does look like a class act.

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Also they spent a net £1.5m (!) after gaining promotion, in contrast Villa spent £145m.

That was why any talk of Farke going was nonsense, Norwich have a plan (in my mind a very good one) & are sticking to it.

Expect them to do well this season & deservedly so.

Bang on, Graham

West Brom nailed it a while back. Went up and down a few times, were prudent and then stayed there. I would hope, should we ever get there, we would do the same

9 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

Interesting to compare him with Tyrone Mings. Couple of years ago he was a gangly awkward left back /centre back with the odd mistake in him. Now he's a beast of a centre back. 

He’s done very well, but I don’t think he’s top drawer.  But that’s just my opinion.  I’m a funny one when it comes to rating Centre Backs. ?

8 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Thought was 13 plus add ons?  Which won't be paid if he moves on?

I have £15m down in my spreadsheet, with good add-ons and sell-on percentage. But suspect we’ll earn a sell-on as hell go for more than either number above.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He’s done very well, but I don’t think he’s top drawer.  But that’s just my opinion.  I’m a funny one when it comes to rating Centre Backs. ?

I have £15m down in my spreadsheet, with good add-ons and sell-on percentage. But suspect we’ll earn a sell-on as hell go for more than either number above.

Was widely reported as £17m at the time it may have included some conditionals and sometimes you can see those in the accounts (though not for individual transfers only in total).  Sell on would be standard practice for selling someone that age I'd think so expect it to be 20-25% on profit.

4 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Was widely reported as £17m at the time it may have included some conditionals and sometimes you can see those in the accounts (though not for individual transfers only in total).  Sell on would be standard practice for selling someone that age I'd think so expect it to be 20-25% on profit.

It was, lot of stuff like £13m + £4m banded around, but someone on here with good itk status (?) told me £15m plus some other stuff.  That’s what’s in my spreadsheet, but I certainly don’t know for sure. ?

5 hours ago, JonDolman said:

He's absolutely amazing. Can't believe he could not even get into our side for much of last season.

The odd bad game yes but I reckon a proper run of games he would have found consistency. He really does have it all. Brentford away showed how good he is at centre back. That's his best position.

Should have been Webster - Kalas and Kelly in a back 3.

Then Hunt and Dasilva could have played in their best positions which is wing backs.

Yes LJ gave him a chance but he could have been given more of a chance.

Not surprised Liverpool want him. Still needs to learn of course but he will go right to the top imo

and at Liverpool he will be sat along side the best CB in the business.

5 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Lk usually makes a costly mistake ever other game currently,

He isnt that great in the tackle ether,

The lad is still developing but Nathan Baker is closer to and england call up then Kelly currently is, he needs to get constancy at a good prem level before he can even be considered

That is quite literally complete bollocks.

Nathan Baker is not on the radar of England. Centre half of a mediocre Championship side and with poor ability on the ball. 

Kelly is an under 21 international with some EPL experience. Others have been picked for the senior  England side with less. 

Southgate is fully aware of him whilst he'd struggle to say who Baker plays for if asked. 

7 hours ago, JonDolman said:

The odd bad game yes but I reckon a proper run of games he would have found consistency.

Played 35 times for us last season and he only got dropped after he'd had a stinker and on more than one occasion lost the ball in an area that cost us a goal.

I don't think he's a bad player, but he falls some way short of "absolutely amazing". Still only 21, so he'll hopefully be improving and might live up to the hyperbole in the future. 

6 hours ago, 054123 said:

Bloke is amazing, easy to see.

Lee Johnson has more than enough opportunities to get this squad promoted and at many times it was easily good enough to get promoted. 

Yes there came along points where we inevitably had to sell our best players, but only after we had our chance.

A better managed 17/18 team would have gone up as the Reid/Bryan situation could have been better managed and the 18/19 squad could have gone up as the core was so solid. Lee just lost the plot.

Role on the missing piece, Chris Hughton, to finally bring the experience and knowledge to pull it all together.

Obvious really.

Gone up? Dunno. Unless you mean through the playoffs. 

2018/19? That reckons without Bielsa transforming Leeds, Aston Villa throwing everything at promotion before parachute payments ran out (which they near enough did), gone up I don't see it myself. Derby keeping spending through use the of multiple suspect loopholes another. 

Liverpool have let go of Lonergan now, and with Lallana gone they're getting close to being below the homegrown threshold. That, plus left footed centre backs are like gold dust now (see Ake), and they're light on left backs. This one makes sense to me.

6 hours ago, GrahamC said:

With parachute payments & potentially £60m to spend from the sales of Ake & Kelly, maybe Wilson & King adding £20m more, not a chance.

Should easily be top six.

You're not factoring in their big losses in 2018/19 however, these will take a chunk out of FFP headroom. 

How much of this they'll be able to reinvest and remain FFP compliant is a matter of uncertainty.

A number of their higher earners don't have relegation wage reductions either, increasing the imperative to offload.

Can perhaps add, Rico, Lerma, Brooks all candidates for sale.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You're not factoring in their big losses in 2018/19 however, these will take a chunk out of FFP headroom. 

How much of this they'll be able to reinvest and remain FFP compliant is a matter of uncertainty.

A number of their higher earners don't have relegation wage reductions either, increasing the imperative to offload.

Can perhaps add, Rico, Lerma, Brooks all candidates for sale.

Think last time showed they really don’t care too much about FFP.

However they will have parachute payments & a host of players to sell, so the quote I originally responded to suggesting they could struggle seems  highly unlikely to me.

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think a back 3 with kelly in it would have been far more adventurous than most of the defensive football we saw last season.

Adventurous or not you'd have changed the whole system to accommodate 1 player? Lets no forget last season we only dropped out of the play off race at the last day of the season and only a couple of games earlier, the Derby game changed everything from us being in prime position for 6th if we'd won. Based on this I don't see too much of a problem with us choosing to stick with the back 4 and therefore Kelly would have had to displace Webster or Kalas to play CB, therefore understandable that he shared minutes with Dasilva and got the odd appearance at LCB when there was a back 3.

14 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Looked amazing for England under 21s. And at centre back for us when up against Maupay away at Brentford.

He played left back in nearly every game last season. His best position is centre back according to Johnson, Howe and the England youth set up.

From what I can see he started 28 out of 50 games. So just over half.

Not much really for a starting England under 21 centre back Liverpool and Bournemouth were after.

I watched a bit of the Spurs game, and he looked comfortable. Many fans saying he had Kane in his back pocket etc.

Other fans of big prem clubs saying they'd like them to sign him.

Liverpool now rumoured to be back in for him. Clearly a special talent. I would call that amazing.

As a City fan I haven't ever seen anyone close to that potential coming through our youth.

I think a back 3 with kelly in it would have been far more adventurous than most of the defensive football we saw last season.

What are all these other things I have said that make you think I look like I am watching a different game to everyone else?

I just think "absolutely amazing" was an exaggeration. TBH I took the first sentence out because it sounded judgemental towards you, when the fact is we all see games a bit differently.

He's a talent, and it'll be interesting to see how he develops with PL experience and age. 

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Think last time showed they really don’t care too much about FFP.

However they will have parachute payments & a host of players to sell, so the quote I originally responded to suggesting they could struggle seems  highly unlikely to me.

I'll leave it there on this thread (FFP thread can be debated) but EFL will be watching them very closely IMO. 

ON the pitch depends how many they sell I think. Big exodus could see problems arise.

Archived