IGNORED

Lloyd Kelly sell on?

harvey54

Just now, JonDolman said:

We changed from 4141 to wing backs and other systems quite a bit anyway. And it would not have been just for Kelly. I think it would have suited a number of our players.

But the point is we were fighting for play offs until the end the system was working to a degree, so changing the preference to go wing backs would've been a risk regardless, don't blame LJ at all for sticking with a system that was keeping so close fighting for 6th.

36 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Gone up? Dunno. Unless you mean through the playoffs. 

2018/19? That reckons without Bielsa transforming Leeds, Aston Villa throwing everything at promotion before parachute payments ran out (which they near enough did), gone up I don't see it myself. Derby keeping spending through use the of multiple suspect loopholes another. 

Be positive Mr. Pops!

I think it was achievable but concede not necessarily as champions.

2 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Be positive Mr. Pops!

I think it was achievable but concede not necessarily as champions.

Which season do you mean?

Playoffs most likely IMO. Actually we would have been really well placed in 2017/18 playoffs due to our extensive and relatively recent range of Cup runs/big Cup ties at varying levels for a lot of the squad at that time.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Which season do you mean?

Playoffs most likely IMO. Actually we would have been really well placed in 2017/18 playoffs due to our extensive and relatively recent range of Cup runs/big Cup ties at varying levels for a lot of the squad at that time.

I’ll say both.

I think the 18/19 squad had the basis to achieve promotion but for whatever reason we just lost our way.

I am not saying that we were clearly one of the best 3 teams in the league (although 17/18 has a shout at that before we lost the plot, again) but we we’re good enough to compete and at the end (as Cardiff showed last night) that ties a long way.

1 minute ago, 054123 said:

I’ll say both.

I think the 18/19 squad had the basis to achieve promotion but for whatever reason we just lost our way.

I am not saying that we were clearly one of the best 3 teams in the league (although 17/18 has a shout at that before we lost the plot, again) but we we’re good enough to compete and at the end (as Cardiff showed last night) that ties a long way.

It's easy to say in hindsight but thinking back Cardiff had a very tricky run in! All ifs and buts however:

Wolves at home- 1-3 points. 

Means a draw at home to Norwich more acceptable- we likely get that minimum. Plus 2-4.

Bolton away- Unbeaten run ticking over- draw again feels more acceptable. Plus one at worst?

Sunderland home- Points, position and HD in a better place. No collapse and plus two?

Cardiff away- Owing to past results, maybe playing for a draw a bit more acceptable- maybe we get that point.

Could we argue similar about Preston away too. 

Just keeping it ticking over puts less pressure on individual games and keeps others within closer range thereby increasing pressure on those sides. Cardiff may have cracked further under the pressure with their run-in.

One thing for sure, I consider not making playoffs that season a failure. Look at our position an hour in Wolves final game of 2017.

Kelly is obviously a quality footballer with all the attributes. The one big thing he lacked at City though (imo)was concentration. Opposition players movement caught him out a lot of times, as he just wasn’t alert enough.

Quite possibly Bournemouth have  have helped him out with this, as I can’t comment on what he’s like now, having not seen him play recently. 

9 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Kelly is obviously a quality footballer with all the attributes. The one big thing he lacked at City though (imo)was concentration. Opposition players movement caught him out a lot of times, as he just wasn’t alert enough.

Quite possibly Bournemouth have  have helped him out with this, as I can’t comment on what he’s like now, having not seen him play recently. 

Could be something a long term injury could install in someone, lots of concentration and determination to get through it properly

2 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Adventurous or not you'd have changed the whole system to accommodate 1 player? Lets no forget last season we only dropped out of the play off race at the last day of the season and only a couple of games earlier, the Derby game changed everything from us being in prime position for 6th if we'd won. Based on this I don't see too much of a problem with us choosing to stick with the back 4 and therefore Kelly would have had to displace Webster or Kalas to play CB, therefore understandable that he shared minutes with Dasilva and got the odd appearance at LCB when there was a back 3.

I thought our great run towards the end of last season was due to going with 3 at the back. Sheffield Utd and mboro away. Didn’t we play Kalas Webster Wright and a back 3, maybe Kelly could of played instead of Wright.

17 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Lots and lots of potential. He wasn’t amazing for us, but he did decently enough. Had good games, had games where he looked too casual. That’s 19/20 year old Centre Backs for you!!

I thought his best game for us was Boro (h) at CB when he was splendid against Assombalonga.  But I also saw him too casual and dominated by Steve Morison.

Im sure he will become a better CB than Mings (for example). We were just easing him along that journey. 

Archived