IGNORED

OSIB : Extended interview with David Noble

bcfc01

• The title was changed to OSIB : Extended interview with David Noble
8 hours ago, Calculus said:

Just found this fairly recent interview with David Noble. Of course he could have gone further in his career, but he sounds like he enjoying life and has only good things to say about his time with us...

https://nonleaguedaily.com/the-players-barwith-david-noble-st-albans-city/

So his favourite players growing up were Paul Merson and Paul Gascoigne? 

That explains a lot about David Noble

Watched an interview a few years back with Lee Dixon

He talked about his time at Arsenal and how the 1st team players kept in eye

on the young kids coming through

Said the most talented  kid he ever seen at Arsenal was Dave Noble but felt he would never make it to the top

due to being a poor athlete with no pace and very little stamina.

Still my joint favourite City player 

2 hours ago, RED4LIFE said:

Halfway through and have had to stop to cook food.

Fair to say he really dislikes Steve Evans.

Can't wait to listen to the rest.

Great work (again) guys

There is a podcast called “undr ( no E) the cosh”, where they talk to ex pros. I’ve listened to about 50 episodes so far, some are absolutely hilarious, some are very emotional. 

Not one ex player has a good word to say about Steve Evans, in fact he really gets slated badly by some. With some very funny stories of how players have stitched him up. 

But by far and away the most hated manager/coach is Kevin Blackwell, no one has a good word to say about  him whatsoever!

10 hours ago, Laner said:

GJ was a speaker at a lunch I attended once. He had nothing but compliments for DN as an attacker when we had the ball (no one better the club). When we didn't have the ball however it was different matter.

Oh and he liked a drink or two apparently. 

One of my absolute favourite players 

Also, the player I bumped into most between 4-6am, Saturday night on Park Street. 

-tried to buy him a drink, wouldn't have it, insisted on buying me one.

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

Certainly sounded like David Noble. if ever a player wasted his talent it was him along with JET.

I remember chatting to David Noble at some event at AG and I complimented him his skills and he actually blushed.......:blush:

He was a really nice guy and yet another player who GJ failed to get the best out of.

I’d argue the only person who failed to get the best out of David Noble was David Noble 

Bloke was a proper piss head 

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Yep, absolutely,he and several other City players of that era. 

Don’t get me wrong. Lovely bloke. Had many a chat with him and Keogh in Java back in the day. And they always engaged ....decent lads both of them 

I just don’t think it was Johnson’s fault he never reached his potential 

One of my favourite David Noble moments was his goal away at Middlesborough in the FA Cup. They were a premier League side at the time with some big names, and that goal silenced the home crowd.

A shame he couldn't reach his potential. Great to watch though, and his goal away at palace will always live in my memory.

56 minutes ago, The turtle said:

One of my absolute favourite players 

Also, the player I bumped into most between 4-6am, Saturday night on Park Street. 

-tried to buy him a drink, wouldn't have it, insisted on buying me one.

Yep, he's a good lad and generous to a fault. A shame he couldn't make the most of his considerable talents but he sure gave us some great moments and one in particular at Palace that will never be forgotten.

Great interview and I really liked Noble, he's always seemed a lot less guarded and media trained than a lot of modern players. Which makes for a better interview.

I really want to hear more in-depth interviews with players who played under Steve Evans now. ?

Loved that; thanks lads.

While I was seeming a little older than the boys chatting with him, still remember fondly watching the away leg of the Championship playoffs.

Was in a grotty pub in Glasgow, and was one of very few patrons present that afternoon.

Took a fair bit of stick from one or two locals who’d decided their entertainment was to support Palace that day; Noble smashing in that beauty shut them right up, and my celebrating got right under their skin. Made a sharp exit soon after but a cracking afternoon was had.

I think we got the best of him as a player without question, and feel despite maybe his commitment to having fun while the sun shone, you’d not have got the highs from him we did without that - was a truly swashbuckling player when let loose, a joy to watch.

Thanks once again to the OSIB team for that one.

10 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yep, he's a good lad and generous to a fault. A shame he couldn't make the most of his considerable talents but he sure gave us some great moments and one in particular at Palace that will never be forgotten.

11 hours ago, ChubStixx said:

One of my favourite David Noble moments was his goal away at Middlesborough in the FA Cup. They were a premier League side at the time with some big names, and that goal silenced the home crowd.

A shame he couldn't reach his potential. Great to watch though, and his goal away at palace will always live in my memory.

From chatting to him he seemed very ‘life is for living’ kinda guy. He loved going out and enjoying himself after a game so why stop it, I guess anyone can see both sides of it. 

Pretty criminal the way he was totally frozen out with no explanation though. 

4 minutes ago, petehinton said:

From chatting to him he seemed very ‘life is for living’ kinda guy. He loved going out and enjoying himself after a game so why stop it, I guess anyone can see both sides of it. 

Pretty criminal the way he was totally frozen out with no explanation though. 

Yeah. Just somebody that loved his football but wanted to live life on his own terms. Fair enough I say.

Like he alluded to, I guess GJ got fed up with his approach to the game.

As a player I was trying to see who I could compare him with in relation to our current squad. Many might disagree, but some aspects of his game remind me of KP45.

Brilliant interview though guys. Very slick production and you could tell you were both well prepared. Keep them coming.

Listened whilst at work this morning and another cracking interview? Thought the very prolonged "pause" before he answered your question on whether Nobes was surprised when GJ finally the Gate???  Clearly is not the greatest fan of GJ's man management style or lack of? Can only echo the previous contributors comments about the Under The Cosh podcast??? Presented by Jon Parkin and the two Chris Browns?  Also a great listen with some brilliant stories.  Another great OSIB episode lads - keep them coming?

Probably up there with one of my favourite episode's. I can understand why people say it's a shame with DN because he didn't fufil his potential but I see it slightly differently, if he had fulfilled his potential we wouldn't of had him at the club and I'm just glad he's got positive memories with us for the success that he did have even if that was mixed with some sorrow.

Seems like a set of players around that era are still friendly to this day and sometimes that's more important. He sounded like a proper down to earth bloke and a good character.

He was one of my favourite players at around 15 so will always be remembered fondly by me.

That was good - must try a rascal!

The Palace games were both special - interesting that the return leg was more stressful than the final.

My then boss was a Palace season ticket holder with a seat just behind the goal at the end Noble scored. He told me that as soon as he hit it he knew it was in. 

Great interview, for someone who seems to have no ambition and then go on to play at the top of the championship that's pretty impressive. 

One thing I have noticed I always struggle with players saying someone was or is a "good person" and leaving it, I want to hear stories about why they are good people - preferably funny ones ?Some players seem to need more encouraging than others - the managers you have had on seem to be able to tell stories better than the players, I assume they have had more practice. 

Archived