IGNORED

OSIB : Extended interview with David Noble

bcfc01

5 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Great interview, for someone who seems to have no ambition and then go on to play at the top of the championship that's pretty impressive. 

One thing I have noticed I always struggle with players saying someone was or is a "good person" and leaving it, I want to hear stories about why they are good people - preferably funny ones ?Some players seem to need more encouraging than others - the managers you have had on seem to be able to tell stories better than the players, I assume they have had more practice. 

Noble has done other podcasts where he tells more funny stories! 

Try this one:

On 31/07/2020 at 18:21, Shtanley said:

Hey all!

We just uploaded our lengthy chat with ex-City midfielder David Noble. 

He tells some great stories and reminisces about his iconic moments at Ashton Gate with us.

As always keen to hear people's thoughts and I love it when a discussion about the podcast gets going on here.

We're always keen for the podcast to reflect the mood/opinions of the listeners!

Well done on another really good interview. Good for you Stanley for trying to tease more detail out of him on a couple of subjects. That was needed, but isn't easy as an interviewer.

One bit of feedback from me which you might totally disagree with...

Unless I missed it, I don't think you painted a picture of what Noble was as a player. I think a younger listener would only have gleaned that he played in midfield and took free kicks. 

My personal feeling is that as a narrative it would be good to quickly sketch out who you're talking to.

So this could be an intro, either with Nobes on the line or separate, with stuff like, he played for City for 4 seasons...a creative central midfielder...not known for his athleticism, but regarded as one of the most naturally gifted player City have had in recent times...had an eye for a pass, excellent control and occasionally flashes of magic...tall, slender, not physical etc 

Alternatively, early on in the piece, ask the player to describe his playing style, strengths and weaknesses, for any fans that didn't see you play.

Now you might think that's pointless feedback because most people that listen to episode will know the player anyway - or they could just youtube him - in which case ignore this! It came into my head so thought I'd share...

On 01/08/2020 at 09:15, samo II said:

Was in a grotty pub in Glasgow, and was one of very few patrons present that afternoon.

I was in a similar type of pub in Stornoway for both legs. Locals gave nothing more than a passing interest. Certainly didnt appreciate my whoop of joy when Noble scored. All good humoured though. 

Great interview lads.  What a player, and comes across as a good down to earth lad.  

We were lucky to see his best years.   

Some may say his celebration of life probably cost him a more successful career.  Maybe so.  I like to think the fact he lived in the moment and enjoyed himself will ultimately mean a happier life than those living on lettuce and spending their evenings staying in, who seemed to struggle when the adulation stops.  

If footballers were burgers,  Nobes is a barbecued triple burger topped melted cheese, onions rings, jalapenos and lashings of ketchup and chilli mayo.  A feast for the eyes and the soul.

We need more David Nobles in the game.   Wish him all the very best in life.  

1 hour ago, Red Skin said:

Great interview lads.  What a player, and comes across as a good down to earth lad.  

We were lucky to see his best years.   

Some may say his celebration of life probably cost him a more successful career.  Maybe so.  I like to think the fact he lived in the moment and enjoyed himself will ultimately mean a happier life than those living on lettuce and spending their evenings staying in, who seemed to struggle when the adulation stops.  

If footballers were burgers,  Nobes is a barbecued triple burger topped melted cheese, onions rings, jalapenos and lashings of ketchup and chilli mayo.  A feast for the eyes and the soul.

We need more David Nobles in the game.   Wish him all the very best in life.  

You just said everything I wanted to say, but did it better then I could! We need more David Nobles in this world, never mind just in footy, but that would do nicely. I hope he reads some of these comments and knows how much joy he brought us fans, absolutely loved watching him play.

8 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

You just said everything I wanted to say, but did it better then I could! We need more David Nobles in this world, never mind just in footy, but that would do nicely. I hope he reads some of these comments and knows how much joy he brought us fans, absolutely loved watching him play.

I screenshot all the good feedback across to the players we interview, rest assured he/they all see all the kind words, and very much appreciate it!

On 31/07/2020 at 19:51, Street red said:

What a great listen you actually feel how the play off final was a bad day for him and you explained there was 2 parts of his career at city. Thumbs up great interview ?

You could tell from the way he spoke about it that the PO Final hurt for him as much as it did the fans, and I always find that interesting to hear as a fan. We assume players are just robots that don't really care but that's not the case - even for someone who clearly didn't get nervous very often and didn't have much emotion to the pressures of playing.

I loved Nobes, and really enjoyed the podcast. I think unfortunately he's wrong if he thinks his off the pitch life didn't affect his performance, it's very well known how alchohol can inhibit recovery so going out drinking on a Saturday night and getting little sleep probably affected him more than he realised, and would have took him much longer to recover between games and then training. Probably why he seemed to struggle to last 90 minutes very often, and why he seemed to become a bit of a bit-part player everywhere he went.

Still, he doesn't seem like it's something that bothers him or anything he regrets so if he's happy fair play to him

Can't believe I didnt know he plays for St Albans, definitely heading down there when crowds get let in, only 20 mins or so from me

Just finally got round to listening to this which I was looking forward too as like I am sure many on here, Nobes is one of my all time favourite players.

The interview got better as it went on, particularly in the second half, almost like he relaxed into it and felt more comfortable telling his stories; it took quite a while for Stan to get out the Steve Evans issues which were superb once discussed. 

It was also interesting to hear him admit his own failings but also that he doesn’t seem to have any regrets either, living in the moment than for tomorrow. 

It was great to hear he seems to love us just as much as we love him too.

Thanks lads, appreciate the effort that went into that and look forward to the next one. 

Excellent interview. 

Every team needs one David Noble type player in the side although modern day football sometimes makes it hard to accommodate them..   No doubt his lifestyle / drinking did impact on his longevity at Championship level.  The only thing I would say on that is that so many flair or artistic sports stars going through the years have that 'flawed genius' aspect to them.  I can't think of many, if any, female examples and there are obvious exceptions like Messi and Ronaldo.

Whether it be George Best, Duncan McKenzie (40 fags a day), Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan,  McEnroe, Maradona etc. etc. they all have some weakness. Usually they are the lovable rogues or 'entertainers' and we need them in sport. Obviously Noble isn't in that elite category but he is of that ilk.  Noble made the point that he only drank on the day after a match.  Most probably that was extended to a 'day or two'.

At their best though, these players play best when they are content and if that lifestyle brings out the best then, as long as it kept well away from match days, then maybe they can be given some slack.   As we heard, the Steve Evans approach just doesn't work. Sure, every team needs a Milner but every also team needs a David Noble type as well.   Sometimes even fans forget that sport is entertainment.

A bit like his son, in Noble's last season, GJ went from an attacking to containing philosophy with a greater emphasis on 'mothering the goal'.  Probably just the pressure of being a football manager.  He seemed to like a flair player (like Noble and Trundle) but couldn't appreciate that these players need some accommodating.  Mothering the goal isn't their prime asset, they are entertainers who need clever and flexible man management.   Clough could do it with flair players - probably because as a flawed genius himself, he understood them.  Mike Brearley, no flawed genius himself, but he managed it with Botham. 

Anyway, a good listen and it's I'm glad to hear Noble is still playing and enjoying his football.

6 hours ago, One Team said:

Just finally got round to listening to this which I was looking forward too as like I am sure many on here, Nobes is one of my all time favourite players.

The interview got better as it went on, particularly in the second half, almost like he relaxed into it and felt more comfortable telling his stories; it took quite a while for Stan to get out the Steve Evans issues which were superb once discussed. 

It was also interesting to hear him admit his own failings but also that he doesn’t seem to have any regrets either, living in the moment than for tomorrow. 

It was great to hear he seems to love us just as much as we love him too.

Thanks lads, appreciate the effort that went into that and look forward to the next one. 

Exactly. I always think when people talk about how some players wasted their ability/time is a narrow aspect to look at. There is much more to life even as a footballer than being the best or reaching the highest level you can. I guess Jet would be another example though I wonder from twitter if he is slightly regretting it at the moment, but if he wants to put time and energy into music then I think that's also valid.

I would probably be much more "successful" if I gave up on out of work activities and knuckled down, but I don't think I would necessarily be happier. 

Archived