IGNORED

Matty Taylor joins Oxford

Fordy62

54 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

75 games = not many chances?  I think he had every opportunity, but the fact is that while he showed himself to be a useful player, and especially as an impact substitute, he never really showed enough quality to justify being a Championship regular.  Great bloke though, and I wish him well at Oxford.

But that’s not 75 x 90 mins is it.? Don’t see how you can get any rhythm to your game if you are only coming on at 70mins or later, because the crowd need a lift and the fans have a song for you.

Still  believe he was undervalued by the club when we bought him as a novelty signing from a local club/rival? having met the release clause in his contract. 
Good luck Matty, you can now play with the freedom (no baggage) that you couldn’t achieve here. 

1 hour ago, oldstandrobin said:

reckon was more of a PR job when we were on a bad run to take our minds off LJ and more on robbing the Gas.

1) He scored 19 goals in 26 League and cup games that season before signing for us.

2) Cost peanuts.

3) Player interested.

4) Low risk signing at a time when we were sliding down the table and goals were hard to come by (or at least not as plentiful as the ones going in at our end).

Personally I think that was the clubs thought process, which all makes sense to me. The fact that we were treated to the hilarious spectacle of Slagheads shitting themselves in rage was a massive bonus for us.

Good luck Matty. 

2 hours ago, Top Robin said:

He didn't get many chances here....I think he is a better player than we were given the chance to see

That’s fair enough, and whenever we did see him it was obvious he’s a player who’s always going to give 110% and has the ability to back it up as well, especially at a lower half championship level. 

I’d say that the fact he didn’t get as many starts here as many would like would be due to the fact that he never showed himself to be up to the level required at training and then in his regular substitute appearances. 

As I said though, really hope it works out for him. Seems like a top bloke and is a very good player at that level

The absolute bottom line is that the Championship was just one division above Taylors ability. No doubt about his stamina and energy but plenty of lower league players have those qualities but he was sadly out of his depth against good quality Championship defenders.

He had enough opportunities to prove that he could find the net on a regular basis as he had at the gas but just wasn’t up to it.

Fair play taking him off the gas was good entertainment for us all - matty himself almost doubled his wages coming here so im sure financially he is pretty set after his time with us.. Getting himself a 3 year contract at Oxford isn’t bad going aswell, i wish him well.

I honestly think we only signed him as an insurance policy against relegation that season.....But his impact (mainly assists) in the run in helped to comfortably keep us up. And an absolute top quality  sh!thouser....possibly the best I've ever seen in a City shirt. Good luck Matty!

3 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

He scored 9 goals in 75 games, 27 starts and 48 sub.

Let's say of his 48 sub appearances they were for an average of 15 minutes, 1/6th of the game. 48 sub is 8 games.

9 goals in 35 full games isn't too bad and that isn't including the amount of times he was subbed off which I bet was at least 20 times in his 27 starts.

Treated like a bit part player but not sure that shows the whole story of his impact.

2 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

But that’s not 75 x 90 mins is it.? Don’t see how you can get any rhythm to your game if you are only coming on at 70mins or later, because the crowd need a lift and the fans have a song for you.

Still  believe he was undervalued by the club when we bought him as a novelty signing from a local club/rival? having met the release clause in his contract. 
Good luck Matty, you can now play with the freedom (no baggage) that you couldn’t achieve here. 

Here’s the facts:

image.thumb.png.e73b03ca13e8a9ce50a150650695d0e8.png

So equivalent of 34 (90 minute) games, 8 goals and 13 assists.

He got minutes, but never really got a streak of games.  A lot of that was niggly injuries, unfortunately.  I often wonder whether his body, being a late(ish) starter in the pro game) meant it was difficult to maintain the fitness levels for the Champ.

I saw him as a streaky finisher at Rovers, but I saw a better / cleverer player than that in his time here.  I think we missed him to close out games in the back end of 17/18.  So his goals and assists record for a guy who rarely played as the main striker is pretty good.

Out and out goal scorer at Champ level? Nope

Match Day 18 regular for a top half Champ side? Yes

Good luck Matty

2 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

1) He scored 19 goals in 26 League and cup games that season before signing for us.

2) Cost peanuts.

3) Player interested.

4) Low risk signing at a time when we were sliding down the table and goals were hard to come by (or at least not as plentiful as the ones going in at our end).

Personally I think that was the clubs thought process, which all makes sense to me. The fact that we were treated to the hilarious spectacle of Slagheads shitting themselves in rage was a massive bonus for us.

Good luck Matty. 

Yes League 1 player of the month in March and Karl Robinson expects him to score 20+ next season. They are building nicely & got good support behind them, so expect them to at least make the playoffs.

Yet another favour to Oxford following on from our £1 million plus gift for CoD. 

About time we had some pay back from that Club.

Sure that Mark Ashton will call in those favours by securing their centre back chappie who looked pretty decent last Season.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Here’s the facts:

image.thumb.png.e73b03ca13e8a9ce50a150650695d0e8.png

So equivalent of 34 (90 minute) games, 8 goals and 13 assists.

He got minutes, but never really got a streak of games.  A lot of that was niggly injuries, unfortunately.  I often wonder whether his body, being a late(ish) starter in the pro game) meant it was difficult to maintain the fitness levels for the Champ.

I saw him as a streaky finisher at Rovers, but I saw a better / cleverer player than that in his time here.  I think we missed him to close out games in the back end of 17/18.  So his goals and assists record for a guy who rarely played as the main striker is pretty good.

Out and out goal scorer at Champ level? Nope

Match Day 18 regular for a top half Champ side? Yes

Good luck Matty

That's actually a decent record especially considering his appearances were often short and often when we were either trying to defend a lead or chasing the game. 

13 assists in the equivalent of 34 games is very good, too. 

I think he could have done very well for us given a run of games with a regular forward partner. Would have been very good foil for Diedhiou. 

19 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

2) Cost peanuts.

3) Player interested.

Good luck Matty. 

5. “Had a good song that would lift the atmosphere and therefore the team”

How did we manage to sign a £10m super striker and turn him into a free transfer?  Is he an example of LJ's amazing ability to develop a player?

Of course he was only worth £300k and that's what we paid for him.  A good squad member and did give us a few memories but would never be prolific at this level, though we don't seem to have replaced him with anything better.

Good luck Matty, I wish you well at Oxford and thanks for the memories though.

On 31/07/2020 at 17:38, alexukhc said:

We needed a number 9 but he was played as a number 10 good old LJ

But I thought that was the interesting thing. We were led to believe by the gas heads that all he did was “score goals”. 
From the first time I saw him I could see there was more to his game than that, 13 assists backs that up.

He has a good footballers brain and the fact that many rovers fans couldn’t see that says a lot about them.

Archived