IGNORED

How FA CUP DAY has changed over the last 30 years

sticks 1969

Just seen on tv it’s fa cup day tomorrow 

I remember when it was a big day out who ever was playing 

one of the few days when my  local pub In Bridgwater showed football on the tv ,other then england 

how times have changed....

One of favourite days in the yr/ football all day long / I think my favourite memory was the spurs v Man City replay in 1981 and the Ricky Villa goal.Me and my dad both cheered despite no allegiance to Spurs. ( miss my dad)

Always used to get a quarter of Everton mints from the shop on Wck Rd and twice in the early 80,s they sold the match day programmes which I got with my Roy of the Rovers comic.

Simpler happier days- loved it when the winning players had a pint of milk getting interviewed.

#### off covid

Used to love FA Cup semi final Sunday as that was 2 games on TV in one day.

FA Cup final coverage used to start around 11:30 in the morning iirc. Watch it all day back in the 90s.

Don't think I’ve watched a full FA Cup Final since Chelsea vs Villa in 2000 and that was only because I was out on the piss and it was on in Bar Med.

No interest in it now.

17 minutes ago, Victory Park Reds said:

One of favourite days in the yr/ football all day long / I think my favourite memory was the spurs v Man City replay in 1981 and the Ricky Villa goal.Me and my dad both cheered despite no allegiance to Spurs. ( miss my dad)

Always used to get a quarter of Everton mints from the shop on Wck Rd and twice in the early 80,s they sold the match day programmes which I got with my Roy of the Rovers comic.

Simpler happier days- loved it when the winning players had a pint of milk getting interviewed.

#### off covid

Ahh, jumpers for goalposts....

31 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Too true. Earliest one i can remember was Everton v Watford in 84.

Used to love FA Cup Grandstand with all the build up.

Gone are the days.

My first was Ipswich - Arsenal 77/78 I think.  Everton - Watford was the last one I remember watching from breakfast onwards.  After that I played cricket on a Saturday so have watched very few.  Man Utd - Crystal P in Torquay on Sunday football four with @BS4 on Tour... I recall, Arsenal - Southampton in a pub after cricket was rained off.

Can just remember Spurs v Burnley, but can recall Preston v West Ham mainly because of the fuss made about Howard Kendall being the youngest cup finalist. First proper recollection is Wednesday v Everton in 66. Friends came to ur house because we had a telly and we all went out in the street at half time to recreate the first half goals - I remember Jim McCalliog was among the scorers

It was an all day TV event - Road to Wembley ( how they got there) and all sorts of odds and ends features in the build up.

In those days the cup final was the big football day in the season. Now it is very much "after the lord Mayor's show" in comparison to the premier league juggernaut.

It’s quite sad really. Biggest day of the season when I was a nipper. All my mates around for S n’ G, road to Wembley, bbq and the match. 
Never had an interest in which team won as a city fan, but the day as a spectacle was brilliant. 

My little one looks at me funny when I tell him about FA Cup finals at the old Wembley and how important they were. 

First fa cup final I can remember is 85 when Norman Whiteside curled that lovely winner...Man Utd became my first team I loved especially as they had Bryan robson....went onto Chelsea because of Kerry Dixon until my dad took me to Wembley in 86 to watch city.

used to love fa cup final day doesn’t feel the same now 

4 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Can just remember Spurs v Burnley, but can recall Preston v West Ham mainly because of the fuss made about Howard Kendall being the youngest cup finalist. First proper recollection is Wednesday v Everton in 66. Friends came to ur house because we had a telly and we all went out in the street at half time to recreate the first half goals - I remember Jim McCalliog was among the scorers

It was an all day TV event - Road to Wembley ( how they got there) and all sorts of odds and ends features in the build up.

In those days the cup final was the big football day in the season. Now it is very much "after the lord Mayor's show" in comparison to the premier league juggernaut.

The 66 Cup final was the first one I remember as well, Sheff Weds 2 up, Everton coming back to win 3-2, also that bloke being chased across the pitch by the cops ?

As a kid in the 70s cup final day for me was as exciting as Christmas day.

I used to worry if Bristol City ever got there it would be the best day out in my life but I'd be upset at missing all the build up tv. Before any kind of recording device. What would I do?

Thank goodness I never had to make that decision. 

50 minutes ago, downendcity said:

My first recollection was the previous year (Leeds/Liverpool), when I was entranced by the late Albert Johansson - his tragic life story is worth a read. 

Like you, however, the first FA Cup Final I really sat down to watch, probably from 9 in the morning, was the Everton vs Sheffield Wednesday final, but the man I remember was the Cornishman, Mike Trebilcock! 

4 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

As a kid in the 70s cup final day for me was as exciting as Christmas day.

I used to worry if Bristol City ever got there it would be the best day out in my life but I'd be upset at missing all the build up tv. Before any kind of recording device. What would I do?

Thank goodness I never had to make that decision. 

The FA Cup final was the biggest day in the football calendar. I remember my first final back in 1970, Chelsea v Leeds. A fantastic couple of games. On the day itself the BBC and ITV would start their broadcasts from 9am ish. It was a day for all the family. Now, it’s all changed. Kick off dictated by TV. I have lost interest in the whole event.

I think I first started watching the whole day's schedule a couple if years later, Sunderland v Leeds which had me hooked.

Aresnal 3 Man Utd 2 in '79 is still one of my favourite cup finals, it had everything the FA cup was famous for.

I've been to a few since but they don't match up to those 70's memories......until we get there

2 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

and the fact it was one of the very few games that was broadcast live during the season.

Yes, the only live football on tv back in the late 60’s/early 70’s was, the FA cup final, England v Scotland and some other home internationals if we were lucky, and the final of a European trophy...............but only If an English side was involved...... and that’s about it. Less than ten games a year, you can watch more than that on a weekend now! 

2 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Used to love FA Cup semi final Sunday as that was 2 games on TV in one day.

FA Cup final coverage used to start around 11:30 in the morning iirc. Watch it all day back in the 90s.

Don't think I’ve watched a full FA Cup Final since Chelsea vs Villa in 2000 and that was only because I was out on the piss and it was on in Bar Med.

No interest in it now.

Semi final day was great.  Games played at Villa Park etc. not bloody Wembley.  The one that sticks in my mind was Liverpool v Palace followed by Oldham v Man U.  Oldham had a great team back then.  

The first televised match I can remember was the FA Cup final Sheffield Wednesday v Everton in 1966.

The blues were 0-2 down but came back to win 3-2 with Mike Treblecock scoring a brace. Watched it at my grandmas house on a tiny black and white tele along with my schoolboy best friend.

It was his dad that took us to AG the following year. 

These days the FA cup is nowhere near as important as it was back then. These days it’s all about the PL and Champions League.

8 minutes ago, The Wild Bunch said:

Semi final day was great.  Games played at Villa Park etc. not bloody Wembley.  The one that sticks in my mind was Liverpool v Palace followed by Oldham v Man U.  Oldham had a great team back then.  

Yeah remember those two games, Oldham vs Man Utd was at Maine Road. Before Sky it felt like a real bonus to have two games on the same day.

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

I remember Wednesday v Everton in 66 because of Kenneth Wolstenholme.’s commentary. Mike Trbilcock played for Everton, but Ken couldn’t bring himself to say his name. He spent the whole match calling him Trebilco

Archived