IGNORED

Sheff Wednesday 12 point reduction next season

MC RISK77

Wigan and Charlton will surely kick up a fuss about this. If that deduction was this season they would be relegated (they cheated so they deserve to go down as do Derby). 

It makes no sense for Wigan's punishment to be either this season or next depending on if they were in the relegation zone or not, Wednesday should be treated the same and have it apply for this season. 

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Why next season?

I suppose if they apply the deduction this season then Wednesday get relegated. If they apply the same penalty to Derby then they get away Scot free.  Is that fair ?

I think they are applying it next season so it affects the 2 clubs in equal measures.

Not saying it is correct as I think they should both be relegated.

5 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I suppose if they apply the deduction this season then Wednesday get relegated. If they apply the same penalty to Derby then they get away Scot free.  Is that fair ?

I think they are applying it next season so it affects the 2 clubs in equal measures.

If the penalty is to be applied this season, the rules are in place to deal with this.  Fairness is following the rules set out. If that means Wednesday relegated and Derby stay up, so be it.

Wigan’s fat lady ain’t singing yet either!

I do think our Governance is lax compared to some other places.

I suspect that in Germany harsher penalties may have been given as well?

This bit of the EFL Statement is interesting:

The Club was found not guilty of a further charge of breaching its duty of utmost good faith to the EFL by deliberately concealing information from the League in respect of filings made in respect of the Profitability and Sustainability Rules.

Precedent- or still case by case basis etc?

9 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Didn’t the EFL say Wigan would either be penalised this season if it put them in the bottom 3, or next if it didn’t?

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I do think our Governance is lax compared to some other places.

I suspect that in Germany harsher penalties may have been given as well?

This bit of the EFL Statement is interesting:

Precedent- or still case by case basis etc?

Wasn’t Man City the same re concealment? Realised different bodies etc.

2 minutes ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

Isn't the delay in both cases to do with the appeal process. If Wigan and Wednesday were both to appeal, that would leave other clubs uncertain as to which league they'd be in, during the hearing of the appeals... And unfairly unable to plan accordingly.

Thats why wednesdays is next season not this one, 

4 minutes ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

Reading between the lines it seems that Sheffield Wednesday know they got away with it

From their official statement

"Further, the commission decided not to apply a 12-point deduction this season, thereby imposing relegation." 

Could the EFL attempt to appeal this into being applied in 2019/20 season though?

I'd argue that Barnsley, possibly Wigan and maybe even Charlton could or should have been relevant parties in terms of representation to the Independent Panel- any scope for them to have a say in any appeal against the season?

Why next season rather than this one?

Probably because time is limited, they can get an appeal in, appeals take time and the divisions need to be sorted?

2 minutes ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

Isn't the delay in both cases to do with the appeal process. If Wigan and Wednesday were both to appeal, that would leave other clubs uncertain as to which league they'd be in, during the hearing of the appeals... And unfairly unable to plan accordingly.

Wigan's administration occurred during this last season, Their points deduction was either applied this season if it resulted in their relegation, or if they avoided relegation even with the points deduction then it would applied next season.

Wednesday offence(s) occurred during the season before last, so why did the EFL not apply the same mxim as with Wednesday?

I know some will say that this allows time for any appeal, but it seems to me very convenient that the judgement has been made after the season has ended and certainly smacks of one rule for one (historically) big club and another for the (historically) smaller club.

The only possible reason I can see is that Wigan's administration makes their penalty absolute and non negotiable. Whereas the whole background to Wednesday's offences is tied up in the shambles that is/was the EFL ffp rules, with potential for major legal challenges, which could cause major disruption to next season's fixtures, and especially so given the very short summer/pre-season.

Archived