IGNORED

Sheff Wednesday 12 point reduction next season

MC RISK77

3 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

Why next season rather than this one?

Probably because time is limited, they can get an appeal in, appeals take time and the divisions need to be sorted?

Can be expedited, the appeal process.

Mind you it took a month basically for the verdict to come out- at least a month!

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

Wigan's administration occurred during this last season, Their points deduction was either applied this season if it resulted in their relegation, or if they avoided relegation even with the points deduction then it would applied next season.

Wednesday offence(s) occurred during the season before last, so why did the EFL not apply the same mxim as with Wednesday?

I know some will say that this allows time for any appeal, but it seems to me very convenient that the judgement has been made after the season has ended and certainly smacks of one rule for one (historically) big club and another for the (historically) smaller club.

The only possible reason I can see is that Wigan's administration makes their penalty absolute and non negotiable. Whereas the whole background to Wednesday's offences is tied up in the shambles that is/was the EFL ffp rules, with potential for major legal challenges, which could cause major disruption to next season's fixtures, and especially so given the very short summer/pre-season.

Not an EFL decision to apply it next season.

1 minute ago, Owl Visiting said:

Relieved the waiting is over more than anything. I thought I'd prefer to get a deduction this season, but now its happened I'm pleased we've at least got a fighting chance next season.

The decision won't win us many friends but I don't give a monkeys to be honest.

You got lucky IMO on the season, I think. 

I do wonder if an EFL appeal could get the seasonal punishment shifted. I'm no lawyer!

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Can be expedited, the appeal process.

Mind you it took a month basically for the verdict to come out- at least a month!

Question is, how long do they have to appeal?

By just leaving it to the last possible minute would game the system.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You got lucky IMO on the season, I think. 

I do wonder if an EFL appeal could get the seasonal punishment shifted. I'm no lawyer!

Yeah I agree, all these things seem to be so badly organised when a team breaks some sort of rules. 

I've got a feeling neither party will appeal but you could well be right.

Just now, bcfcfinker said:

Question is, how long do they have to appeal?

By just leaving it to the last possible minute would game the system.

I'd have to read the EFL regulations in full- maybe on the weekend.

Why it took so long in the first instance is a bit odd.

Just now, Owl Visiting said:

Yeah I agree, all these things seem to be so badly organised when a team breaks some sort of rules. 

I've got a feeling neither party will appeal but you could well be right.

Yeah sounds about right- it's gone on so long I'm unsure the EFL would appeal but they might come under pressure from clubs to do so- I've given up predicting anymore!

8 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Wigan's administration occurred during this last season, Their points deduction was either applied this season if it resulted in their relegation, or if they avoided relegation even with the points deduction then it would applied next season.

Wednesday offence(s) occurred during the season before last, so why did the EFL not apply the same mxim as with Wednesday?

I know some will say that this allows time for any appeal, but it seems to me very convenient that the judgement has been made after the season has ended and certainly smacks of one rule for one (historically) big club and another for the (historically) smaller club.

The only possible reason I can see is that Wigan's administration makes their penalty absolute and non negotiable. Whereas the whole background to Wednesday's offences is tied up in the shambles that is/was the EFL ffp rules, with potential for major legal challenges, which could cause major disruption to next season's fixtures, and especially so given the very short summer/pre-season.

Wigan put themselves into administration which is an automatic 12 point deduction. 

If Sheffield Weds had done the same they would have had the same ‘ punishment ‘ .

2 minutes ago, Kibs said:

How the hell did they get away with that not being applied this season? Ridiculous.

Absolute bottle job by the gutless & spineless EFL.

The very organisation that conduct 'fit & proper tests' on prospective new owners of English & Welsh football clubs - just ask a Wigan fan currently on how well they perform that duty of care.

The football authorities in this country have got away with sheer incompetence for years & continue to do so.

Absolute shambles.

Wendies should be down - simple as.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd have to read the EFL regulations in full- maybe on the weekend.

Why it took so long in the first instance is a bit odd.

All the regulatory bodies need to get their acts together.

Man City managed to dodge the bullet because UEFA didn't follow its own rules.
EFL took an inordinate amount of time to make it's decisions: Wigan should have been told weeks ago if they would be deducted and SW/Derby probably should have been told months ago

8 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Maybe not as they've  still capable of getting 50/51 points let's hope Brum & Derby are next

Birmingham are a different kettle of fish tbh.

Got their 9 points in 2018/19, and had to abide by the terms of an EFL Business Plan, and a Soft embargo which turned into a harder embargo- 5 loanees at £10k pwe week and reset losses to £13m per season.

They've also been improving quite significantly. Wages DOWN by 1/6 in 2018/19 from 2017/18, Jota sold at back end of 2018/19 accounts, Adams and Vassell sold in 2019/20, Bellingham now. Sure they sold a Spanish player at profit as well.

Morrison left, partly caused by the Business Plan, Mahoney not renewed- high earners appear to have been leaving, ie contracts expiring. Received a reprimand for breach of Business Plan terms and that will stay on record if they fall into error again.

In fact, I read that their Business Plan never mind Morrison, even hindered them with respect to negotiating with youth players!

Derby though, I eagerly await their verdict.

17 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Wigan put themselves into administration which is an automatic 12 point deduction. 

If Sheffield Weds had done the same they would have had the same ‘ punishment ‘ .

Agree Major - in my post I said that administration makes the penalty absolute and non negotiable - and that had Wednesday gone into admin they too would have incurred the same penalty.

The question raised is more about the way in which each clubs' points deductions have been applied. 

In Wigan's case,  for an offence ( administration) that occurred during this last season, the penalty would have been applied this last season if it resulted in Wigan's relegation. If however, even after the points deduction, Wigan escaped relegation, then the points deduction would have been applied next season. In that respect you could argue that the points deduction was not automatic i.e. immediately applied.

My question was why, if Wednesday's offence ( financial jiggery pokery) occurred in the season before last, then why was it not subject to the same criteria as Wigan's in that it could have been immediately applied if it resulted in their relegation ( which it would), but had it not then it could be applied next season?

Apologies of teaching granny to suck eggs, and for repeating much of my previous post.

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Birmingham are a different kettle of fish tbh.

Got their 9 points in 2018/19, and had to abide by the terms of an EFL Business Plan, and a Soft embargo which turned into a harder embargo- 5 loanees at £10k pwe week and reset losses to £13m per season.

They've also been improving quite significantly. Wages DOWN by 1/6 in 2018/19 from 2017/18, Jota sold at back end of 2018/19 accounts, Adams and Vassell sold in 2019/20, Bellingham now. Sure they sold a Spanish player at profit as well.

Morrison left, partly caused by the Business Plan, Mahoney not renewed- high earners appear to have been leaving, ie contracts expiring. Received a reprimand for breach of Business Plan terms and that will stay on record if they fall into error again.

In fact, I read that their Business Plan never mind Morrison, even hindered them with respect to negotiating with youth players!

Derby though, I eagerly await their verdict.

Good research on Birmingham much appreciated and let's hope Derby get hit hard 

30 minutes ago, Juan Domingo Roldan said:

Absolute bottle job by the gutless & spineless EFL.

The very organisation that conduct 'fit & proper tests' on prospective new owners of English & Welsh football clubs - just ask a Wigan fan currently on how well they perform that duty of care.

The football authorities in this country have got away with sheer incompetence for years & continue to do so.

Absolute shambles.

Wendies should be down - simple as.

Again - not an EFL decision.

1 minute ago, Juan Domingo Roldan said:

Ok - an independent panel appointed under EFL REGULATIONS.

Same difference in most people's books or does the king of one liner's have another take on it?

Try reading the announcement.

Hows that for a one liner ?

57 minutes ago, castle red said:

Go get Bannon 

Wouldnt want him. We have probably got enough Midfielders with Walsh and Morrell back (my personal opinion).

He's also on extortionate wages (rumoured 40kpw).

Been apart of Wednesday's issue in regards to FFP. Too may jouorneymen on high wages.

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Try reading the announcement.

Hows that for a one liner ?

I have & my point is that the EFL create the regulations upon which these crucial decisions are then palmed out to 'independent commisions' to make the final ruling because they are probably too cowardly to do it themselves.

We can all agree to to disgaree but, if one wants to add value to a forum debate then more often than not it is helpful to elucidate upon one's reply rather than restrict it to a one liner indicating people are 'wrong' in their view.

How's that for a thought?

To add, IF somehow Hillsborough as at £60m, I don't see it myself but if it was then a market rent has to be substituted in if not there already.

That'd be an extra £3m, maybe £3.5m per season IMO- 5-6% a fair market rent on a £60m transaction- and yes, it counts against FFP.

Of course it may already be in the accounts- but if it's a low one, I think the EFL are obliged/meant to add in the difference for FFP purposes.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Looks like Charlton are considering their options now...

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5f246dd981505/club-statement-sheffield-wednesday

They in 22nd are the club who would have primarily benefited from a deduction being applied in this, the season of the breach.

Their argument will be with the EFL won't it? If they go down the legal route I wouldn't have thought there is enough time to overturn their relegation, the best they could hope for is compensation right? 

Archived