IGNORED

Weymouth on the way back up

22A

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

Ian Ridley was the Weymouth chairman at the time, he was a fairly well known journalist and author at the time, I imagine he pulled a few strings to get that documentary done to get Weymouth publicity.

Incidentally, I think it was Steve Johnson (Gary’s brother)that took over after SC was sacked, but he didn’t last  long until he too was sacked!!.

That's right, thanks for the reminder! My memory is kind of fuzzy since my strokes! Will look online for the documentary 

On 02/08/2020 at 02:59, TonyTonyTony said:

Lovely place Weymouth. Many happy times there - bet it’s manic this weekend !

Old world charm as i always remember it. Durdle Door and Chesil Beach just down the road with all that iron pyrites fools gold.

On 02/08/2020 at 04:46, Maltshoveller said:

Watch out Yeovil !!!!

Yes Indeed... that will be a sort of looocal derby. Might try and watch that one if i am back.

1 hour ago, Coxy27 said:

I seem to remember being quite excited by the prospect of him when he signed for us.

Something of a lower league stalwart now it seems.

Off the field issues I believe. I do recall him playing in a League Cup first round defeat to Oxford at AG just after the EE had been demolished. We were abject and lost, I think, 2-1 with Joe Bryan (?) getting ours. Wynter looked like the only one of ours who gave a shit and I distinctly remember him punching the ground in anger and frustration at FT.

On 01/08/2020 at 22:23, Super said:

Love Weymouth and Portland. Lovely part of the country.

Portland? Really?

Talk about the land that time forgot!

Portland? Really?

Portland? Really?

Portland? Really?

1 minute ago, supercidered said:

Portland? Really?

Portland? Really?

Portland? Really?

Portland? Really?

As the bumper stickers all the locals have tell you `Keep Portland Weird`

5 minutes ago, supercidered said:

Portland? Really?

Portland? Really?

Portland? Really?

Portland? Really?

0i!  That’s my hometown, you may think it’s shite, but you didn’t have to say it four times!

I’m down there in a couple of weeks, I will pass on your regards ?

3 minutes ago, supercidered said:

Not sure what happened there!

I didn't say I thought Portland was shite. I was questioning it being lovely!

It all depends when you visit, a nice summers day and it’s absolutely fantastic. A windy winters day and it’s as bleak as it comes. 
Also, there are some places off the tourist map that are idyllic.

2 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

It all depends when you visit, a nice summers day and it’s absolutely fantastic. A windy winters day and it’s as bleak as it comes. 

Fair enough. I used to go hunting for sloworms in a really unspoilt area near the prison when I was a nipper. Can't remember what it was called but seem to be an old quarry or something. Maybe I dreamt it!

5 minutes ago, supercidered said:

Fair enough. I used to go hunting for sloworms in a really unspoilt area near the prison when I was a nipper. Can't remember what it was called but seem to be an old quarry or something. Maybe I dreamt it!

There are new quarry’s opened up every few years, some of these get filled in afterwards, some just left to decay. Portland stone is valued worldwide, most of the major landmarks in London ( Buckingham Palace, St Paul’s cathedral etc) are built from the stone taken from those quarry’s. Even the United Nations building in New York.

A few years ago Portland United FC were built a new ground, as their old ground site was to be used for a new quarry!! 

On 02/08/2020 at 18:52, bristolcitysweden said:

We met up with Gerry in Weymouth in October 2014 https://www.svenskafans.com/england/bristolcity/hostresan-2014-518292

Sorry for swearing y'all but bloody marvellous... here is a translation...

This year's autumn trip attracted 12. City supporters. Coventry v Bristol City and Bristol City v Bradford were on the program. There was also an opportunity for those who so wanted to see Stoke v Swansea on Sunday. We had also arranged a meeting with City Legend Gerry Gow. To this trip we can add three new members, Always, Hope and the Future. It was the first time we went over when City is the league leader, it felt a bit unreal but very fun... and...

The journey to Bristol began. The Småland section flew Copenhagen-Bristol, which seemed to be a smooth way. The Stockholm and Dala section traveled to Arlanda-Gatwick, then the Gatwick - Bristol bus, via a sightseeing tour at Heathrow. The only dramatic thing that happened on the bus trip was when the President's beer can fell to the floor. Two members started the trip already on Wednesday by going to Liverpool and visiting i.a. Strawberry fields (above). Once in Bristol, we met at Commercial Rooms. Bosse Bus and Framtiden received a resounding applause on arrival, the entire pub (at least 70 people) stood up and applauded...

arhhh yes that were them there red gates for strawberry fields.. nice one Sweden.

2 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

There are new quarry’s opened up every few years, some of these get filled in afterwards, some just left to decay. Portland stone is valued worldwide, most of the major landmarks in London ( Buckingham Palace, St Paul’s cathedral etc) are built from the stone taken from those quarry’s. Even the United Nations building in New York.

A few years ago Portland United FC were built a new ground, as their old ground site was to be used for a new quarry!! 

Blige !

They say 'you learn something every day!'

4 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Now then me babber... Portland v Weymouth. That would be a frosty derby.

Where be the division of Portland then to?

Easter time 2019 we visited Weymouth for a second time on the way from Bournemouth to Bristol and stayed one night. The idea was to run out on Portland Island and perhaps find the church yard but we run the wrong direction. Perhaps too many real ales on the train https://www.svenskafans.com/england/bristolcity/varresan-2019-601465  COYR

5 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Now then me babber... Portland v Weymouth. That would be a frosty derby.

Where be the division of Portland then to?

? Portland are in the Sydenham Wessex Premier League ( equivalents to Western League Prem) , they won it a couple seasons ago. They could have gone into the Southern League but declined to apply. The travelling would be immense and very costly for a small club. 

When I grew up there in the 60’s, there was a real dislike of all things Weymouth, not just the football club, I’ve been told stories of pre season friendlies not being very friendly at all!! 

22 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Lived in Weymouth for 23 years but I love it on Portland, my grand daughter always likes to go to the old stone quarries where they have loads of statues, I personally could stay at The Bill just watching the ocean, and of course the view along Chesil Beach is sublime. If I ever move back to the area Portland would be my choice of location.

5 minutes ago, Med/MadHatter said:

Lived in Weymouth for 23 years but I love it on Portland, my grand daughter always likes to go to the old stone quarries where they have loads of statues, I personally could stay at The Bill just watching the ocean, and of course the view along Chesil Beach is sublime. If I ever move back to the area Portland would be my choice of location.

I lived in the area for about five years around the turn of the century. Couple of years in Weymouth and then several on Portland - which I loved. Hope to settle back there once retired (not long!) Quite a few City exiles there. 

3 minutes ago, Med/MadHatter said:

I’ve often thought about moving back, just not sure if I would enjoy the winter gales though! 

I go back whenever I can and just enjoy travelling around the island, unfortunately all my family from the Island are no more, so I haven’t got a base as such. Thinking of staying in a caravan ( or something similar) in September for a few days. Take in a Portland game, and generally chill ?

Archived