IGNORED

Eddie Howe has left Bournemouth

Brann-red

Sometimes I look at this forum, and I think that Bristol City fans are a rational, thoughtful bunch.

Then, I look at comments where people act like we're too good for Eddie Howe.

I sometimes wonder whether we're supporting the same team, and whether some people get confused when they watch Liverpool and assume that Bristol City are flying high because they wear red.

1 hour ago, Eastend said:

Eddie Howe won ‘manager of the decade’ in 2015. And the last manager to win that before him was Sir Alex Ferguson. Goes to show how good of a manager he is. He took Bournemouth from -17 points in league 2 to the premier league. Yes they have rich owners, but they only took over when Bournemouth were in the championship. So you could argue that he has managed successfully with a large budget and with a small budget.

im sure Mr Lansdown would take a manager of this pedigree in a heart beat, and it wouldn’t surprise me if we have been holding out for an appointment like this (hence the time we have taken.) But then again, I’m sure Eddie would comfortably manage a mid table PL side. So it’s pretty wishful thinking if he was to choose the mighty reds.

What the **** is that... some Daily Star poll??!!

I have said recently that Bournemouth would be crazy to sack him. Whether he has walked or been sacked, it will be their loss. I don't believe that there is anybody more likely to get Bournemouth back up than Eddie Howe. They are the perfect fit for each other.

Would he be likely to get us up?

Not in my opinion. It has disaster written all over it.

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

To be fair, the list of lj permanent signings has some real stinkers in it.

Some yes. Also think he didn't utilise or setup in a way which would get the best out of quite a few others- think a lot of his signings for varied reasons were so so, average- nothing awful, nothing distinguished- some through being meh, some through injury, some through not being played in a way that would get the best.

38 minutes ago, Bullbag said:

Still a small club and always have been who have spent way beyond their means for years.

Should of been punished severely of which they weren't, it wasn't a 'miracle' or a 'fairytale' the way they went through the leagues.

They get 9000 gates and spent ridiculous amounts of money, making a mockery of FFP. which is a joke, shouldn't be aloud to happen.

Hope they suffer another relegation

In all fairness those who live around Queens Park want them back into obscurity too. Match day is a nightmare for those residents.

8 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

If Eddie Howe ever joins Palace, that's a ready made headline right there

8 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

You mean we end up with Woy?

No, he'd have to go to the Mem Stad so it would be Woy of the Wovers.

2 hours ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

Weird can't really see him at another team, are there any prem jobs going? I thought he was an Everton fan but obviously they won't be getting rid of Ancelloti

Aren't Palace meant to be looking around at possible replacements?

The dilemma EH has though is if he takes a break (he certainly looks like he needs one) to do punditry all he can expect in the short term is a PL club panicking in December / January and offering him terms too good to turn down.  Would jumping into another relegation fire fighting scrap and possibly failing really be wise to consider.

He would be so good for us IMO but it’s not going to happen is it ?

1 minute ago, Floatn Over said:

The dilemma EH has though is if he takes a break (he certainly looks like he needs one) to do punditry all he can expect in the short term is a PL club panicking in December / January and offering him terms too good to turn down.  Would jumping into another relegation fire fighting scrap and possibly failing really be wise to consider.

He would be so good for us IMO but it’s not going to happen is it ?

Personally I can’t see it happening, but then I’m also not sure where his next landing spot will be.

Think there are some parallels to Gerrard, actually. They both strike me, in their current status, as summer appointments. I really don’t see a struggling PL club turning to Howe (or Gerrard) to keep them up, and his stock has fallen so dramatically this past year that I don’t really see a middle third PL appointing him full stop. So, for me, he actually has quite a narrow window in regard to future opportunities, a window which will certainly include top end Championship clubs.

A year ago, no chance he’d come here.  But I mentioned to a mate around January that he could be one to keep an eye on {for potential vacancy here} and, bar the timing, I certainly don’t think it’s outrageous he’d consider it.

Some good points but I think EH would be happier in the South West, fairly close to home and BCFC would be a club that he would feel he could achieve something with rather than end up in a relegation fight with.  Probably a good fit for us and him as to me he is a classier version of LJ with a history of success too.

Even though he may want/need a break, he may not want to see a perfect opportunity disappear.  Maybe it also depends on whether joining us would have any impact on his severance terms.

He certainly wouldn't be a cheap option though and would show some ambition if we got him.

I do suspect that a decision has already been made about who our new manager will be at this point and that we will know the answer by this time next week.

Archived