IGNORED

Eddie Howe has left Bournemouth

Brann-red

11 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Some good points but I think EH would be happier in the South West, fairly close to home and BCFC would be a club that he would feel he could achieve something with rather than end up in a relegation fight with.  Probably a good fit for us and him as to me he is a classier version of LJ with a history of success too.

Even though he may want/need a break, he may not want to see a perfect opportunity disappear.  Maybe it also depends on whether joining us would have any impact on his severance terms.

He certainly wouldn't be a cheap option though and would show some ambition if we got him.

I do suspect that a decision has already been made about who our new manager will be at this point and that we will know the answer by this time next week.

On the taking a break point, some managers of course just cannot stay away from the game, they might say they will e.g. Warnock retiring but they need to be involved; maybe EH is the same.

As regards a decision already made, probably so but some Bournemouth fans now saying Cook or CH for them, so.....

10 hours ago, S_C said:

In an open letter to Bournemouth fans, whilst he doesn’t indicate or suggest he needs a break from football the last paragraph, bearing in mind, you’d assume, we would already have had conversations if he’s coming here, suggests he won’t be;

I’ll now be taking some time away during the summer break to enjoy some quality time with my family and I am looking forward to the next chapter in my life.

A Decent guy who just needs a little time away from the game and to reflect on life and no doubts will have lots of opportunities when he chooses to come back 

9 minutes ago, Floatn Over said:

On the taking a break point, some managers of course just cannot stay away from the game, they might say they will e.g. Warnock retiring but they need to be involved; maybe EH is the same.

As regards a decision already made, probably so but some Bournemouth fans now saying Cook or CH for them, so.....

Would be surprised at Cook, but unfortunately, could really see Chris Hughton going there now. Another south coast club, a Premier League squad, a record of spending big and parachute payments.  

We aren’t going to compete with that, whatever way we look at it.

13 hours ago, maxjak said:

Yep only managed to get a small provincial club into the Prem for the first time in their history, kept them there for 4 years on gates of 12,000 and  was only  relegated by 1 point, when their best player refused to play for them on the run in.  And yes i know about the wealthy benefactor, but that hasn't got us into the Prem despite SL's money?  To call him a fraud says a lot more about you, than him.

You'll be saying @Mr Hankeyisn't his real name next! ?

I like Eddie Howe and reckon he is the type of manager that SL would like in charge.  Calm, diplomatic, loyal, and someone to grow the playing side of the club.

Had Bournemouth grown the club off the pitch - the ground, training facilities - they may have been in a better position than they have left themselves.  That ultimately limits them.

From his perspective I think we are a more progressive club and one with a better chance of sustained growth.

Don't think it'll happen though.  I think he is genuine about needing a break. 

1 hour ago, S_C said:

Personally I can’t see it happening, but then I’m also not sure where his next landing spot will be.

Think there are some parallels to Gerrard, actually. They both strike me, in their current status, as summer appointments. I really don’t see a struggling PL club turning to Howe (or Gerrard) to keep them up, and his stock has fallen so dramatically this past year that I don’t really see a middle third PL appointing him full stop. So, for me, he actually has quite a narrow window in regard to future opportunities, a window which will certainly include top end Championship clubs.

A year ago, no chance he’d come here.  But I mentioned to a mate around January that he could be one to keep an eye on {for potential vacancy here} and, bar the timing, I certainly don’t think it’s outrageous he’d consider it.

Agree fully. He stayed at Bournemouth to long. There was only ever going to be a time where he could take them as far as he could, and that was best part of 18 months / 2 years ago. 

I really cannot see him getting another Prem job at this moment in time. Fully expect him to take over a decent sized, underachieving Championship club in November time....

27 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Fully expect him to take over a decent sized, underachieving Championship club in November time....

Give the job to Holden now then and wait till November...

1 minute ago, Maltshoveller said:

If they had got him in a few months back they would still be in the prem

Pulis is a busted flush mate

14 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Would be very wary of appointing him. Unsure how much of his relative success at Bournemouth was down to him or down to the money at his disposal. 

He didn't have money when he took over and kept them in the league by winning the last 3 games and a despite a large points deduction. 

When you're given money you've still got to spend it wisely. Taking them through the leagues and keeping them up with crowds of under 11000 isn't shabby. We'd be stupid not to ask him if he's interested imho

14 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Bournouth paid £15 million for Jordon Ibe and Solanke's fee was undisclosed but it's a sin that a player is allowed to leave for nothing after four years and they should have sold him a year earlier 

Josh King? Nathan Ake? David Brookes? Lewis Cook? Callum Wilson? 

Every manager takes a risk when they buy young and unproven talent. Solanke and Ibe may turn out to need a few years outside of the Prem before they fulfil potential. Harry Kane did bugger all at Millwall and took a long time to mature at Spurs 

24 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

He didn't have money when he took over and kept them in the league by winning the last 3 games and a despite a large points deduction. 

When you're given money you've still got to spend it wisely. Taking them through the leagues and keeping them up with crowds of under 11000 isn't shabby. We'd be stupid not to ask him if he's interested imho

I’m talking more about recent years. Made some astonishingly poor transfers imo.

1 minute ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Annoys me how little they know about teams outside of the premier league. I remember how clueless Charlie Nicholas was when he was talking about us before Man City away

Or Danny Mills re Sheffield Utd at the start of the season.

Me too.  They are professional pundits yet don’t do research.  They could probably afford someone to do it for them.

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I’m talking more about recent years. Made some astonishingly poor transfers imo.

I could write a book on 'crap players that Bristol City have bought' in the time that Howe took to get Bournemouth into the Prem. All managers buy duds, its part of football. He bought well enough to get them promoted through the leagues. 

That works for me 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Or Danny Mills re Sheffield Utd at the start of the season.

Me too.  They are professional pundits yet don’t do research.  They could probably afford someone to do it for them.

The quality of punditry outside the prem from most of the ex pros is really really poor.  Big time players living off their past who do little or no research into the teams they are being asked to watch. Most can’t even get the names correct let alone a knowledge of form, tactics etc. They are famous faces and little more. 

3 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

Would be surprised at Cook, but unfortunately, could really see Chris Hughton going there now. Another south coast club, a Premier League squad, a record of spending big and parachute payments.  

We aren’t going to compete with that, whatever way we look at it.

We could have if the selection process had been slick and professional. But the time, it has and still is taking,will allow the quality candidates to have better opportunities come along. 

1 hour ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

LJ just mentioned as a possible replacement by sky sports news because apparently his teams play attractive football....

"A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth" Daniel Kahneman, Nobel prize winning psychologist and economist.

President Trump understands this.

Many modern football coaches understand this.

The Blue Few understand this (without realising it).

We - City fans - have been slow to understand this. We must repeat, over and over (and over and over:

"We are a big club; we are massive; our away support is huge-er than Norwich; we are a PL club in waiting; Europa League in 5 windows."

Again:

"We are a big club; we are massive; our away support is as massive as Newcastle; we are a Europa League in waiting; five windows til Christmas. "

And again:

"We are huge; too huge for Hughton; we took more than Chelsea to some game somewhere once; we are waiting. Why are we waiting? Oh, why tf are we waiting when we are so huge? It's so unfair"

"We are huge; we are massive; more massively huge than half the PL; we are .....

29 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

We could have if the selection process had been slick and professional. But the time, it has and still is taking,will allow the quality candidates to have better opportunities come along. 

My thoughts exactly, but that’s supposing CH was ever our top target.  

The longer this has dragged on, the more I’ve suspected that CH isn’t our main man, more’s the pity.

You’d think getting shot of LJ early meant the club were trying to get in early, possibly to get someone who is out of work (CH?).  

After what’s gone on since, I really haven’t got a clue any more!!!

9 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

If we're being picky Hughton bought Leon Best and Nile Ranger whilst at Newcastle. On that basis we shouldn't touch him with a barge pole ?

Dennis Wise bought Ranger to Newcastle as a 17 year old.

Leon Best did ok at Prem level in limited game time but had lots of injuries.

For Rotherham under Warnock in that horrible 1-1 draw in 15/16 he gave our CBs a torrid time.

Not saying he’s a world beater, but neither are players to tarnish Hughton with.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Dennis Wise bought Ranger to Newcastle as a 17 year old.

Leon Best did ok at Prem level in limited game time but had lots of injuries.

For Rotherham under Warnock in that horrible 1-1 draw in 15/16 he gave our CBs a torrid time.

Not saying he’s a world beater, but neither are players to tarnish Hughton with.

I was reading from an online list so apologies for inaccuracy. I also didn't know that Leon had one half decent game in his career. My mistake again ?

Archived