IGNORED

Martin Scott

RedRoss

I stumbled across this podcast with Martin Scott and he talks about his time at City. 

He was before my time so I didn't know much about him before a quick Wikipedia snoop.

Thought I'd share..

About 24:14 onwards he talks about us and a few minutes before he talks about his brief spell with Brian Clough and his man management.

13 minutes ago, xmarktx said:

Did we not get gary owers as part of the deal 

Yes, we did.

As others have said, a top player.

Good in the air, strong tackler & a top penalty taker.

We had him, Barnard, Brennan & Bell in succession at left back but he was the best for me.

Martin Scott kicked off a great run of brilliant left-backs in the ‘90s for us, and he was one of the best. Him and Tinnion linked up well down the left, but so did Scott’s successors - Barnard, Bell and Brennan - all great left-backs for us. It’s always puzzled me that we’ve consistently struggled to get right-backs of equal ability. 

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Martin Scott was a very decent left back. We had him, Jim Brennan and Micky Bell all around the same era. I remember John Bailey as well.Signed him from Everton iirc.

Ahh John Bailey, how clever was he, the most streetwise left back ever to play for City. No pace but a clever brain. Remember him keeping Frank Carr ( who was a total speedster) quiet for two legs in the league cup semi finals against Forest, simply because of his football intelligence.

Martin Scott was, IMO, the second best City left back after Mike Thresher.

Defensively superb and when he ventured forward, he was a very good addition at the attacking end of the pitch.

And with the above words, an apology to so many other City number 3's who would justifiably be miffed at not being considered as number one.

52 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Ahh John Bailey, how clever was he, the most streetwise left back ever to play for City. No pace but a clever brain. Remember him keeping Frank Carr ( who was a total speedster) quiet for two legs in the league cup semi finals against Forest, simply because of his football intelligence.

As a fan of Howard Kendall's Everton team of the Eighties I remember going into school having read in the paper that he was looking for a club and telling my mates that we should sign him up.

Big Joe must have heard me. ?

As others have mentioned. The first of a number of great left backs at city during the 90s. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the right side (still have shudders over Brian Mitchell). 

He had an outstanding partnership with Tinnion, and i was gutted when he left for Sunderland for 750k.

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Yes, we did.

As others have said, a top player.

Good in the air, strong tackler & a top penalty taker.

We had him, Barnard, Brennan & Bell in succession at left back but he was the best for me.

Agree, succession of great LBs but Scott by far the best all round player although the others were a joy to watch going forward

1 hour ago, tin said:

Martin Scott kicked off a great run of brilliant left-backs in the ‘90s for us, and he was one of the best. Him and Tinnion linked up well down the left, but so did Scott’s successors - Barnard, Bell and Brennan - all great left-backs for us. It’s always puzzled me that we’ve consistently struggled to get right-backs of equal ability. 

Because they didn't have tinman in front of them. 

3 hours ago, mozo said:

Not much wrong with Bryan and DaSilva n all!

Errr.

Neither a patch on Scotty as he could defend and they can't despite obvious footballing talent.  Did you see Parker hooked him late on for Fulham v Cardiff the other night as he was so clearly being targeted?

3 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

Scotty was a great left back, but Darren Barnard was the best of them for me. Think Jay Dasilva has the potential to be better than all of them.

100% disagree, the first thing a left back has to be capable of is defending, Dasilva can’t defend, I’ve lost count of the times he makes zero attempt to stop crosses coming in from the right,and the amount of times he entirely switches off when he needs to be alert.  

33 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

100% disagree, the first thing a left back has to be capable of is defending, Dasilva can’t defend, I’ve lost count of the times he makes zero attempt to stop crosses coming in from the right,and the amount of times he entirely switches off when he needs to be alert.  

I said he had the potential to be better, not that he was.

1. Brew Dog Clockwork Tangerine IS a bit "meh"

2. Martin Scott WAS damn good for us, he could defend AND attack (modern full backs being able to do just one of these - attack - being a prime example of why modern football is rubbish). 

3. The "Bristol 10" = Steve Lansdown WAS right - never get too attached to players. 

Archived