Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Recommended Posts

The left back vs right back debate...

The left back always has a 'sweet left foot'. Takes free kicks, penalties and 3 is a cool number

Right back. Meh. Doesn't have a 'sweet right foot', the fancy Dan in front of him pulls rank over free kicks and penalties. 2 is a shit number and right back is quite frankly the least sexiest of football positions

Apart from Adam Locke right backs tend not to spend too long in my memory. People used to big up Andy Llewellyn. Bang average

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, 'Orns said:

The left back vs right back debate...

The left back always has a 'sweet left foot'. Takes free kicks, penalties and 3 is a cool number

Right back. Meh. Doesn't have a 'sweet right foot', the fancy Dan in front of him pulls rank over free kicks and penalties. 2 is a shit number and right back is quite frankly the least sexiest of football positions

Apart from Adam Locke right backs tend not to spend too long in my memory. People used to big up Andy Llewellyn. Bang average

Bradley Orr. Luke Ayling if I were to stretch it

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Barnard, Bell, Brennan, Scott - 4 great full backs.

Close, but I'd say Scott was probably the best.

 

Who remembers Russell Bromage? Red hair, used to overlap like a thirsty dog

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bullbag said:

Favourite player in the early 90s.

Was gutted when he left for Sunderland.

Brilliant player, Martin Scott Scott Scott.

 

He’s my favourite of the LBs we’ve had....tough call, but he became a very good defender in his time here, as well as offering plenty going forward.

1 minute ago, SecretSam said:

Who remembers Russell Bromage? Red hair, used to overlap like a thirsty dog

Yep, used to tackle on his arse though.  Steady enough imho.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Ahh John Bailey, how clever was he, the most streetwise left back ever to play for City. No pace but a clever brain. Remember him keeping Frank Carr ( who was a total speedster) quiet for two legs in the league cup semi finals against Forest, simply because of his football intelligence.

I think Bailey had a bit of help from Alan Walsh, who doubled up on Carr

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 2015 said:

Bradley Orr. Luke Ayling if I were to stretch it

See. Proves my point 🤣

How did I forget about those two? If they were left backs they'd be immortalised in my brain

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I used to play right back.

I was a left back after I lost my pace. Which is probably another reason I think more of them

Anyway, no offence mate. Sure you were a terrific player and #2 suited you 🤣👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 'Orns said:

The left back vs right back debate...

The left back always has a 'sweet left foot'. Takes free kicks, penalties and 3 is a cool number

Right back. Meh. Doesn't have a 'sweet right foot', the fancy Dan in front of him pulls rank over free kicks and penalties. 2 is a shit number and right back is quite frankly the least sexiest of football positions

Apart from Adam Locke right backs tend not to spend too long in my memory. People used to big up Andy Llewellyn. Bang average

Left back Brian Drysdale. Right back Gerry Sweeney 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

A defender who deserves a mention from that era, is stuart munro.

Now he was a good defender.

Oops forgot in the middle between Sweeney and Drysdale was David Rodgers and Sir Geoff Merrick. The unstoppable back four with Ray Cashley behind them covering between the sticks 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, City oz said:

Left back Brian Drysdale. Right back Gerry Sweeney 

In season 74/75 Sweeney and Drysdale actually scored. Drysdale at home to Bolton and Sweeney at home to Southampton. Sweeney also took the odd penalty back in those years.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to like Marvin Harriott but I was young so may not have been that great a RB, also Vegard Hanson. I remember Paul Allen during his brief spell with us at right back going through three crunching tackles one after another. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Danwal said:

I used to like Marvin Harriott but I was young so may not have been that great a RB, also Vegard Hanson. I remember Paul Allen during his brief spell with us at right back going through three crunching tackles one after another. 

Marvellous Marvin! One of the worst pro footballers I've ever seen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

On the subject of good RBs - didn't Carey start out at RB? Also, I seem to recall Scott Murray playing there? Could be my mind playing tricks, I'm old...

Carey certainly played there at the start of his career, pretty sure he wore #2 as a squad number for a while as well

Murray I guess could have played as a wing back?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SecretSam said:

On the subject of good RBs - didn't Carey start out at RB? Also, I seem to recall Scott Murray playing there? Could be my mind playing tricks, I'm old...

Murray started out at Villa as a right back I think.  Pretty sure he never played there for us.

Carey did start as right back, which explains why he was so good bringing the ball out for one of his mazy runs. Remember seeing his debut away at York and being impressed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

Murray started out at Villa as a right back I think.  Pretty sure he never played there for us.

Carey did start as right back, which explains why he was so good bringing the ball out for one of his mazy runs. Remember seeing his debut away at York and being impressed.

He did a few times I think but wasn`t very impressive. I definitely remember a home 4-0 stuffing by Sheffield Wednesday when he played there and was shocking.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...